Classless And Undignified.

SkiBunny

He really hasn't.

Your standards are kinda low in relation to what constitutes shooting someone down (figuratively). :lol:

You have beat me i don`t know what Meds you are on or what ward you have escaped from but do us all a favour and throw yourself off a fucking bridge

And it cant be Bobby Sands he was never that heavy

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The core of the Luftwaffe had a strong Nazi ideology, much much more so than the Wehrmacht. Of course not all were Nazis but you cannot ignore the fact that there was a much higher proportion of Nazis than your suggestion would have us believe. I'd suggest that the diluting of Nazis in the ranks of the Luftwaffe was, in part, down to the shooting down of the Bombers that are sung about.

Strange that you make an assumption about my thoughts, it seems that sort of thing goes with that moral high ground you are seeking to claim? There will be those that find it distasteful but there will be those (I've spoken to one or two myself over the years) who see it as nothing to be offended by and that it is merely a song sung by young men who appreciate that their forefathers gave them the freedom to sing such songs.

Maybe it's a good thing that the song continues to be sung as it has provoked this debate which plays a part in remembering the sacrifice of that generation. I'd rather they sing it than forget about those who fought for our freedom.

Partly, it would have been. But it will have started way before the Battle of Britain.

Regardless, the Luftwaffe having a higher percentage of Nazis is not a good justification in this discussion. Unless you believe that percentage to be 100% and use that to justify the singing about killing them. Which it obviously would not be.

I made no assumption. I asked you a question. Which is the direct opposite from assuming. Also, I don't understand why you're talking about moral high grounds. Anyone that disapproves of anything in this manner is adopting what they regard as a moral high ground. Unless you have no morals whatsoever (which you do, of course), then you'll have adopted the moral high ground plenty of times. It's a bit of a strange position to criticise someone for having morals. Or would you rather I was a sheep?

I'd rather they thanked the RAF (in general) without the need to crassly cheer the killing anyone else. I'm sure there are plenty of songs out there.

Beats me how this has went this far i guess we just cant all be calm individuals like myself who can respect others views.

200.gif

Some of us see ourself defending free speech. We are motivated.

The motivation of those who put so much effort into attacking a harmless but pro british song need seriously questioned.

You have beat me i don`t know what Meds you are on or what ward you have escaped from but do us all a favour and throw yourself off a fucking bridge

And it cant be Bobby Sands he was never that heavy

:lol: Number two attacks the man.

Partly, it would have been. But it will have started way before the Battle of Britain.

Regardless, the Luftwaffe having a higher percentage of Nazis is not a good justification in this discussion. Unless you believe that percentage to be 100% and use that to justify the singing about killing them. Which it obviously would not be.

I made no assumption. I asked you a question. Which is the direct opposite from assuming. Also, I don't understand why you're talking about moral high grounds. Anyone that disapproves of anything in this manner is adopting what they regard as a moral high ground. Unless you have no morals whatsoever (which you do, of course), then you'll have adopted the moral high ground plenty of times. It's a bit of a strange position to criticise someone for having morals. Or would you rather I was a sheep?

I'd rather they thanked the RAF (in general) without the need to crassly cheer the killing anyone else. I'm sure there are plenty of songs out there.

Its like Stephen Hawking on fucking speed dial

IN-I-GO having a meltdown here!

The RAF is Brittish. So are you. Get used to it.

:lol: Oh, here we go. Trying another tack, are we? Plant the seed of a meltdown. Lol.

And it looks a wee bit like you're making independence vote assumptions too.

Anything else irrelevant to the discussion you'd like to chuck in? ;)

Some of us see ourself defending free speech. We are motivated.

The motivation of those who put so much effort into attacking a harmless but pro british song need seriously questioned.

You also seem to be struggling with the idea of what free speech means.

it is u teying to stop others singing, be it 10 german bombers, big jock knew , saville is one of ur own or anything else.

Yeah, you're really not getting it.

I'm arguing that they should stop. I'm arguing that they shouldn't do it. Shouldn't is different from saying they can't.

At the end of the day, anyone can say, or sing, whatever they want.

Yeah, you're really not getting it.

I'm arguing that they should stop. I'm arguing that they shouldn't do it. Shouldn't is different from saying they can't.

At the end of the day, anyone can say, or sing, whatever they want.

So u have a problem with us sing saville and big jock knew as well?? Or is that something we "shouldnt" do either according to thos moral compass of urs.

So u have a problem with us sing saville and big jock knew as well?? Or is that something we "shouldnt" do either according to thos moral compass of urs.

No. I don't think I have any problem with that. Do you?

Your question was an assumptive question rather than 'do you think' it was 'I take it (assume) that you believe'. Not the direct opposite of assumption at all now is it? You used an assumption that they were 'not Nazis just airmen' I have countered that. You are trying to make the issue a black and white one when there are many (even more than 50) shades of grey.

You are fully entitled to your opinion and you have expressed it. Unfortunately some of the ways you have attempted to validate that opinion as superior to others are based on lack of real knowledge and the inability to understand that not every airman from the period would have the same opinion as those you have listened to.

You are 'sure' there are plenty of other songs out there are you. Would you not have named one if that was the case.

How about this one, adapted from a WW1 song:

THE BOLD AVIATOR LAY DYING

(Second World War version, trad)

Tune: My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean

Oh, the bold aviator was dying

And as 'neath the wreckage he lay, he lay

To the sobbing mechanics about him

These last parting words he did say

"Take the cylinders out of my kidneys

The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain

From the small of my back get the crankshaft

And assemble the engine again"

Two valve springs you’ll find in my stomach,

Three spark plugs are safe in my lung, my lung,

The prop is in splinters inside me,

To my fingers the joy-stick has clung.

Take the propeller boss out of my liver,

Take the aileron out of my thigh, my thigh,

From the seat of my pants take the piston,

Then see if the old crate will fly.

Personally, I've never been 100% comfortable about the role bombers (and submarines) played in WW2.

Our infantry fought their infantry.

Our fighter planes thought their fighter planes.

But a lot of the time the bombers task was to attack innocent civilians (both sides).

Your question was an assumptive question rather than 'do you think' it was 'I take it (assume) that you believe'. Not the direct opposite of assumption at all now is it. You used an assumption that they were 'not Nazis just airmen' I have countered that. You are trying to make the issue a black and white one when there are many (even more than 50) shades of grey.

You are fully entitled to your opinion and you have expressed it. Unfortunately some of the ways you have attempted to validate that opinion as superior to others are based on lack of real knowledge and the inability to understand that not every airman from the period would have the same opinion as those you have listened to.

You are 'sure' there are plenty of other songs out there are you. Would you not have named one if that was the case.

How about this one, adapted from a WW1 song:

THE BOLD AVIATOR LAY DYING

(Second World War version, trad)

Tune: My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean

Oh, the bold aviator was dying

And as 'neath the wreckage he lay, he lay

To the sobbing mechanics about him

These last parting words he did say

"Take the cylinders out of my kidneys

The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain

From the small of my back get the crankshaft

And assemble the engine again"

Two valve springs you’ll find in my stomach,

Three spark plugs are safe in my lung, my lung,

The prop is in splinters inside me,

To my fingers the joy-stick has clung.

Take the propeller boss out of my liver,

Take the aileron out of my thigh, my thigh,

From the seat of my pants take the piston,

Then see if the old crate will fly.

No, it was a directed question, based on what appeared to be the case from your posts. It was not an assumption. It was left open for you to answer as you would any question.

How do you get that I'm the one being black and white? I'm suggesting that it's notblack and white, in terms of what we were discussing, namely the Nazi constitution of the Luftwaffe.

Superior to others? I've tried to be persuasive. That's what arguments are about. Your tack, although subtler than some others, is becoming increasingly discredit the man, rather than his argument as well. That's your choice, I guess. As for lack of knowledge, I've always clarified what I know, what I'm assuming and what I'm taking an educated guess at. Feel free to pinpoint where i've displayed a lack of knowledge.

A song? Three Cheers for the Red White and Blue. I'm sure we could come up with something new. It wouldn't be the first time.