Mccall Has A Thankless Task

stewaj3

i don't envy Stuart McCall, he's taken over a club 3/4 of a way into of the season, a club that's all over the place on and off the park.

His task is simple, to get Rangers promoted via the playoffs at the first time of asking. If he fails he may still have a job here, but there is no doubt that if we don't get promoted, fans will be disappointed and will more than likely let him and the board hear it.

There are so many ways that we could fail, it could be one playoff game, it could be that we continue our recent 3 wins in 10 games form.

I have no doubt Stuart knows the size of task at hand and he sounds like he is relishing it, but to get promotion I think he's going to need some turd polishing skills. There is no doubt among Rangers fans that this group is not good enough, individually or collectively, so how does he go about getting the second highest paid players in Scotland to perform like they are paid to do?

He has already got them in training on there day off. He knows he needs to boost confidence, he knows he needs to find his best 11 and find them quickly then hit the ground running.

He has been given a 6 month deal, but if he fails can you really blame him? I think the fairest thing would have been an 18 month deal and let the judging start next year.

I write that but then I'm not Stuart McCall, clearly a brave man who's not shied away from a challenge, he clearly believes in himself and believes he can get more out of these players and I hope he is right.

As the man himself said, the fans don't want to come to the football and boo. I hope we see the improvement his attitude deserves. And if it doesn't I hope we remain thankful to the man who tried to turn it around.

I look at it from the other way. He's come in to an absolute mess. If we don't go up, no reasonable person can conclude that he is the main man to blame. If we do go up, he's steadied a rocky ship and will probably keep the job.

Unless he completely arses it up, I don't think he can really lose here.

I don't envy him his task at all. It is the proverbial poisoned chalice - an almost impossible task with this squad of imposters.

I'm not a pessimist but rather a realist, and I don't believe we'll achieve promotion through the playoffs. I really hope and trust that the Rangers fans understand the enormity of the task McCall faces.

Our players talk a great fight - just listen to McCulloch and Law for all the meaningless platitudes - but when it comes to talking on the pitch they fail miserably.

I wish Stuart McCall all the luck in the world - he'll need it with this squad!

I look at it from the other way. He's come in to an absolute mess. If we don't go up, no reasonable person can conclude that he is the main man to blame. If we do go up, he's steadied a rocky ship and will probably keep the job.

Unless he completely arses it up, I don't think he can really lose here.

As per any Rangers manager if the performances aren't good enough on the pitch, he will soon get criticism. Footballs a fickle world, he's gotta win games.

As per any Rangers manager if the performances aren't good enough on the pitch, he will soon get criticism. Footballs a fickle world, he's gotta win games.

Of course, but he's not going to carry the can if we don't go up. There are plenty of people ahead of him on that list.

Even if he totally fails, he'll have failed at a club which was already a mess before he got in. It won't kill his career.

For the record, I think he'll take us up. I feel strangely confident.

He is the only experienced manager available who would take on the job on such terms. That is as much due to his passion for the Club and it's support. He has shown himself to be an honourable man. He needs our support, and the only way we can do that is get behind his team despite the history.

I see it the other way too. Stuart has no time to be nicey nicey and make friends. He has to go in and really give some people a shake and tell them whats what - he has nothing to lose. Some players though will need to start playing for their future, with us or another club. If they prove they are still shite under McCall they have a very bleak future. McCall can also just drop anyone who does not put in 100%, like I said he has no need to nurture some spoiled adults. Get in there SM!

If he gets us up he needs to do it in style to have a chance of the job full time, the big test is Hibs at Easter rd, I expect an improvement starting with a 4-0 win today and another victory on Tuesday.

I do not think he is the right man or the full time position but I hope he proves me wrong and has my 100% support starting today.

If he gets us up he needs to do it in style to have a chance of the job full time, the big test is Hibs at Easter rd, I expect an improvement starting with a 4-0 win today and another victory on Tuesday.

I do not think he is the right man or the full time position but I hope he proves me wrong and has my 100% support starting today.

I agree he needs to drop the long ball bollocks but other than that I don't mind how he does it as long as he gets us up. In the time available, and considering the mard arses he has in the dressing room, I don't think we can expect too much in terms of style and aesthetics.

McCall has a chance at managing a club 100 times greater than his experience and achievement warrant

i am sure he is only too aware of that

I think we need a bit of self-awareness here. We are (for at least another couple of months) a second-tier club. McCall's experience is fine for what we need. Let's not kid on loads of top coaches would be falling over themselves to take the job this month.

I think we need a bit of self-awareness here. We are (for at least another couple of months) a second-tier club. McCall's experience is fine for what we need. Let's not kid on loads of top coaches would be falling over themselves to take the job this month.

we are

one of the largest football clubs in the world

we are

one of the largest football clubs in the world

We've also spent the last couple of years playing part-time teams. To get promoted we'll need to beat Hibs, QotS, Falkirk, St Mirren... teams of that standard. McCall has managed a team to 2nd in the league and to a cup final with worse resources in terms of players than what he has now. His experience is plenty.

The chest-out stuff doesn't help our club just now. We're rebuilding from a very low start. We need to appreciate that. A manager like McCall would never have been acceptable a few years back, but it's where we are now.

we areone of the largest football clubs in the world

Not lately we haven't been. McCall is a move to bring us back to that position. I too do not think he is the man for the job long term- but would be delighted to be proved wrong. So hey ho let's go and give him our support and see how he does.

I admire him taking this task on considering what it's like.

He has passion and love for the club without a doubt, and I also see he has skill and technical awareness.

However if he doesn'tmake it it won't be his fault, Mr Mcoist has far more responsibility than him.

So good luck to him as he needs it with these players who are abysmal and absolutely useless to say the least.

Sadly once those imposters cross that white line,theres not much he can do. I admire the guy greatly for taking it on. But we are in need of major surgery and id be surprised if we navigate the play-offs.

I believe our so called players have already surrendered.

A new manager can, at times, breathe new life into a team.

All we need is a manager who knows what he's doing. Who has a decent understanding of tactics and can implement a game plan.

McCoist had none of this, some folk really need to understand that McCoist is completely hopeless, he was constantly being out witted by part time managers with hammer thrower players.

If McCall can get these guys playing to a system that they understand and brings out their strengths then he's done more in a few days than 'the clueless one' did in years.

Yes he does have a thankless task but it is one he has taken on so i wish him all the best.Unfortunately for him he has to work this thankless task with possibly the worst Rangers team that i can remember all thanks to,well we all know the answer to that one.

Like Mc Call as a player he gave 100% - that is him but managing a team that isnt

He has a major challenge in telling the club captain . you are finished .

Then task number 2 - Kenny miller & Kris Boyd my (hale & pace ) do one

Maybe we should have hired Jeremy Kyle he is good at telling the truth.

It's going to be a tough task with this group of players, but he's only had a couple of days.

Fingers crossed that with some more time he might be able to pull something out of the hat.

Just can't see this lot going up, much as I'd love to believe they could do it. Loads of others have said it and I agree - I don't envy McCall, because if he truly wants what's best for this club he has got to serve notice to Jig and Boyd at the very least and probably Miller along with them. McCoist couldn't do it because Jig is his (and everybody else's) pal - hell, he does seem like a truly good guy off the pitch and it would be hard as hell to let the axe fall if that's a m8 of yours, but that's exactly what the fucking job requires because he quite simply is a horrible liability on the pitch. We need someone who is ruthless at the moment because the club needs to be dragged kicking and screaming by the bawhairs into this century. Played off the park by the last place team says it all; nearly every single one of our players looks like they just woke up after a century-long nap and are amazed to see the wonders of the modern age whiz by around them.