Rst Statement

brazz1972

People will always have differing opinions. For me neither word is sectarian or racist, and when it's shouted/sang at a football game i don't see the issue. if someone just came out with it in the street because they knew you were a rangers fan then they should get a slap but we're trivialising the issue when it gets to tit for tat levels. both sets of fans should be fighting against the laws the government has imposed as they are out and out false convictions when they say it is a sectarian or racist offence, it's verbal abuse, nothing more.

I'm all for freedom of speech and the right to be offensive. #JeSuisBilly!

But to think that 'Fenian' is gettin folk 4 month in the slammer, yet the media twiddle their thumbs with this 'is it or isn't it' with regard to the term 'h***' just shows the level of infiltration.

Oh this fucking prick knew what he was saying alright he also knew that a programme was being made and would be shown in scotland through the internet so for him to use terms such as this where it could have caused horrendous violence i fully expect the cunt to be jailed

I disagree.

I would say neither are sectarian.

Fenian is political, the deifnition of the word & it's roots are clear, it's intertwined with Irish Republicanism. Fenianism is Irish Republicanism by means of arms/violence. It is mis-used in a sectarian context certainly, I'v heard it to used to describe anyone of catholic faith. But if you call a German a Nazi-bastard because you don't like Germans, or a Muslim an Jihadi-bastard because you don't like Muslims, then you are using the words in a racist or sectarian context. The terms Nazi & Jihadi themselves are not racist nor sectarian, they're political beliefs/movements. So is 'Fenian', it really isn't much different from 'Nazi'.

h** however is racist, the term isn't derived from any kind of political movement or set of beliefs, it's a word derived from one's ethnicity. It's why Celtic fans call Hearts fans "diet H***", or Kilmarnock fans "H***". When have you ever heard of them refer to Dundee Utd or Hibs fans "H***" despite having their run-ins with them? It's because it's a form of anglophobic racism.

Bang on the money with the post