Give Stuart Mccall The Permanent Manager Position

Fools Gold

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always seemed to do well replacing his best players at Motherwell every season, looking forward to what he can do in a transfer window, especially with so much money freed up from the out of contract players.

Always seemed to do well replacing his best players at Motherwell every season, looking forward to what he can do in a transfer window, especially with so much money freed up from the out of contract players.

I think I would now give it to McCall permanently regardless of whether we go up or down. He has shown in the past few weeks what a difference a good manager makes. His tactics, man management, team selection, substitutions, passion, interviews and observations of what's gone before, have been fantastic thus far. He breeds confidence, talks us and the player up and you believe we have a chance when you see him speak, and the way he sets us out to play. He also seems to have the respect of the players which is imperative.

A few weeks ago Hearts and Hibs looked invincible. We looked a mess. We were a mess. Fuck, we were more than a mess. However, he has somehow galvanised the whole team, a team of charlatans, losers, players who had given up and also players who just needed a chance. He has brought a refreshing, exciting optimism to us all. We are now talking football and looking forward to every Saturday again (or Thursday, Sunday, whatever!). It's amazing what a difference he has made in such a small space of time. I understand new managers can always go on a good run immediately however we really were in the shit, and for us to do it, not only against Hibs and Hearts, but in the manner in which we did it was incredible. Previously we would have lost to them both, with 11 men, easily, and we would have capitulated with 10 against Hearts today.

Today for me felt like a statement was being made. The statement was simple. We are on our way back. It felt like days of old. Of course we still lack many things and we will never have the likes of Laudrup, Gazza etc again but we had the Ibrox intensity back, and the crowd fed off it. They were electric and together, McCall, the players and the fans can again make Ibrox the fortress it once was. We were always on the front foot, we showed passion, hunger, desire. We chased down lost causes. We won 30-70 battles just for throw ins, free kicks, corners. We were positive, we tried to play the right way, and at times there were also real moments of great football. And when we went down to 10 men, we handled it like top teams do. We re-organised, restricted them to very little, defended heroically and with the system and personnel employed we probably should have scored again too. It was defensive in parts but I always felt pretty comfortable until the last few minutes. Some will say Hearts may not have had much to play for but make no mistake about it, they gave everything. However, we dominated them with 11, and restricted them relatively comfortably with 10.

I think we need to start preparing for next season and I think McCall would be ideal to take us forward. I don't see the logic in only giving him the job if we go up. The reason being if we don't go up I genuinely don't think we'll find a better manager at that level. And if we do go up he will have fully earned at least 1 full year in the SPFL. Therefore, as early as it may be, McCall, IMO should be given the role permanently.

Woah calm down

We SHOULD be beating teams like this.

That's a minimum

But we haven't, we've been a piss-poor 'amateur' team at times. We should have cantered a lot of the games this season but it didn't happen.

With McCall at the helm, your minimum should become the norm.

I really didn't expect him to do as well as he has so far. He and Kenny Black have done a great job. McCall has a passion for the job, he knows the expectations the fans have and add to that a bit of tactical know how and he suddenly has a group of players playing a lot better. What I like is that you know he and Black are already planning for the QotS game, setting up the team in a way in which we can beat them. Under McCoist you knew it would be the same players every week who were playing shite and the same bad performance week in week out. McCall has brought a bit of passion and a bit of fight back and I would be surprised if he isn't offered the job permanently.

If he gets us promoted, and winning the way we did today, it is very hard to see him not getting the job on a permanent basis. There is team spirit now; but there is also fitness in the time, even in this short space of time. We played the pressing game in that first half, when we had 11 players, and that was brilliant to see. The players are causing a different atmosphere in the stands, and Stuart McCall said that was their role in his very first press conference I think it was, and that is a great attitude from the manager. This team are not just playing for each other, they are playing for the club, and they are playing for the supporters. Brilliant to see this again.