Cricket

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

13 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Anderson to Williamson at Lord's on a beautiful morning of a first test is probably as good as cricket will ever get aesthetically.

I've been thinking about this and it's just not for me. I know cricket is typically a 'pleasant' sport, but I love blood and guts and want to see fast bowlers taking peoples heads off and middle stumps knocked out the ground, while batsmen are having a pop back at them :lol:

My favourite bit of test match cricket, possibly ever, was Shoaib Akhtar vs India in Kolkata in '99. I was only 10, but I remember getting up early with my dad to watch this series on a dodgy satellite box. He bowled Dravid, then Tendulkar came on a long walk out to the crease greeted by huge cheers from around the ground, incredible atmosphere. First ball Akhtar steams in and takes his middle stump clean out the ground. Absolutely sensational bit of bowling:

I think he took 4 wickets in that first innings and all 4 were bowled. Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar and can't remember who else, but those 3 were guys who were rarely bowled in their careers. It took a lot for them to miss one entirely. 

If his body hadn't let him down (and he wasn't so fucking mental), he would have been one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time, IMO.  

26 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

I've been thinking about this and it's just not for me. I know cricket is typically a 'pleasant' sport, but I love blood and guts and want to see fast bowlers taking peoples heads off and middle stumps knocked out the ground, while batsmen are having a pop back at them :lol:

My favourite bit of test match cricket, possibly ever, was Shoaib Akhtar vs India in Kolkata in '99. I was only 10, but I remember getting up early with my dad to watch this series on a dodgy satellite box. He bowled Dravid, then Tendulkar came on a long walk out to the crease greeted by huge cheers from around the ground, incredible atmosphere. First ball Akhtar steams in and takes his middle stump clean out the ground. Absolutely sensational bit of bowling:

I think he took 4 wickets in that first innings and all 4 were bowled. Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar and can't remember who else, but those 3 were guys who were rarely bowled in their careers. It took a lot for them to miss one entirely. 

If his body hadn't let him down (and he wasn't so fucking mental), he would have been one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time, IMO.  

Yeah I get what you mean, and I love to see that too - for example Mitchell Johnson at the WACA in 2013 was both terrifying and awesome in equal measures but for me I like to see that in ODIs or T20s at night when I'm there and had a few drinks :lol:  I suppose it's a bit different when its a test between India and Pakistan and the ground is full - the rivalry and atmosphere makes it like a short version.

But yeah in general when it comes to watching a test match in the middle of the day I'm very much of that English village green romantic view of nice line and length, and an elegant batting technique. I could watch maiden after maiden or 1 run an over on that basis for an entire day :lol: 

26 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar and can't remember who else, but those 3 were guys who were rarely bowled in their careers. It took a lot for them to miss one entirely. 

Speaking of elegant batsmen, one of the best and probably in my top 3 of all time to watch.

Met him as a kid and got his signature too.

20 hours ago, ALerone said:

Ollie's in a bit of historic twitter bother 😬

Shouldn't play for England again tbh. He was 18, not 8. Every single 18 year old knows you can't use the n-word and say some of the offensive things he tweeted. 

He was young and he has apologised and should be allowed to get on with his life, but there's no way in hell he should be afforded the privilege of playing international cricket for England.

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

Shouldn't play for England again tbh. He was 18, not 8. Every single 18 year old knows you can't use the n-word and say some of the offensive things he tweeted. 

He was young and he has apologised and should be allowed to get on with his life, but there's no way in hell he should be afforded the privilege of playing international cricket for England.

It’s a difficult one for the ECB. 

I feel if he hadn’t used the n-word there might be a way back for him via an apology etc, but he’s really blown it by using that term. 

Surprised they haven’t removed him from the match...

6 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

It’s a difficult one for the ECB. 

I feel if he hadn’t used the n-word there might be a way back for him via an apology etc, but he’s really blown it by using that term. 

Surprised they haven’t removed him from the match...

I'm genuinely not sure of the rules, not sure whether they can pull him out or not. It has certainly come at a terrible time for the team and a potential distraction against a NZ team who are good enough to capitalise if England aren't 'on it'. 

8 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

I'm genuinely not sure of the rules, not sure whether they can pull him out or not. It has certainly come at a terrible time for the team and a potential distraction against a NZ team who are good enough to capitalise if England aren't 'on it'. 

Probably can sub him but then they would be down a bowler and a batsmen.

It’s difficult situation. ECB are already under scrutiny for the alleged policies they had in place. 

Personally I would allow him to be selected but use him as an example. Get him out working in all the communities and hopefully he realises how lucky he is to be getting second chance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this email from Trent Bridge... I'm still confident me and the wee man will be there. 🏏🏏🏏🏏🏏

We hope you are keeping well and enjoying the early exchanges of what promises to be quite the cricketing summer.

With the government having recently announced a further delay to the country’s roadmap out of lockdown, we are very much aware of the uncertainty this creates in relation to our forthcoming Vitality International T20 between England and Pakistan.

As you will be aware, the date of our fixture is Friday 16 July, three days before the newly-extended period of restrictions is due to come to an end.

We are currently working through the government advice with our governing body, the ECB, and are awaiting further information in relation to the size of the crowd we will be able to welcome and the required Covid safety protocols.

Prospective pilot events remain a topic for discussion and the government is due to make a further announcement on Monday 28 June.

We will contact you again with further information regarding your tickets as soon as we are able.

It is possible that you will need to take further action in order to secure your seats, so please look out for our email.

We, of course, understand the difficulties in not being able to plan ahead as you usually would. Please bear with us for just a little longer.

We greatly appreciate your patience and ongoing support and dearly hope to be able to welcome you to Trent Bridge as planned on 16 July.

Can't praise the Trent Bridge ticket office enough. 

We had booked 5 tickets for next Thursday nights 20/20 match v Leicester and after the Government moving the Freedom Day date they are only allowing members in. 

But I chanced my arm and sent a wee email explaining that the 3 lads myself and my co worker are all fully vaccinated and wanted to treat them to something after so long dubbed up. 

A lovely lady (Rachel) called me on my mobile within 10 minutes and they have sorted us with a better section and I printed the tickets off today.

I also asked about the England v Pakistan tickets I bought last December as it was part of the step sons Christmas and she authorised me to print them off as well. 

Cannae beat a bit of good customer service. 🏏🇬🇧💙😊

Confirmation from Trent Bridge that the 20/20 International v Pakistan will have a full capacity limit. Being used as a trial event. 

Just printed off my Covid19 2D Code pass and will just have to register the step sons lateral flow test the day before the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the coke zero and 2 litre of water all ice cold. Will pack the rucksack I'm taking about 15:30ish. Slow drive over (via garage for petrol.)  to Musters Road about 8 mins walk from Trent Bridge. 

Gates open at 4:30pm. Expecting it to be busy especially with all the Covid19 checks. Tickets and ID plus Covid19 passport is printed off. Step son is buzzing for it more than me. 

C'mon England and Pakistan put on a right good show tonight. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏏🇵🇰