Cricket

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Smith and Labuschagne scoring the guts of 400 runs between them in this match. 

Obviously a lot has been said about Smith over the years, but Labuschagne is a quality player. Always seems to make some sort of contribution.

You could argue that Labuschagne is very unlucky to be in that side with Smith, if Smith wasn’t around he’d be considered the best batsman in the world (or between him, Kohli and Williamson)

Passed out asleep earlier after a few beers watching out game - so definitely up to 4.30am now. 

Test match is shaping up - could all collapse very quickly and still a lot of batting to survive - but love day 5 of a test when the result isn't totally certain. 

Aussies still 80% likely to win, but it's getting interesting. 

Looks like its going to be a draw. Also seems certain convicts just cant help themselves trying to gain an advantage... Tut tut.. 

In the break in play, stump cam captured Smith standing on the crease as if preparing to face up, taking a step down the wicket, before digging a groove into the ground with his foot. Pant then had to remark his guard before play resumed.

The incident was not shown on Australian coverage, with archive footage shown instead. However, viewers of coverage using the Australian feed outside the country were able to see Smith’s actions.

Hmmmmmmmm...... 

Not sure the Aussies bowled that badly, once the bounce went off the new ball the pitch really wasn't offering much. It was slow, flat, ball wasn't swinging, etc.

Commentary said with Covid it was the first it had been played on for almost a year, which maybe was a contributing factor to the pitch not breaking up as you'd expect.

India could have won that match if Vihari didn't do his hammy and couldn't run.... and I wasn't expecting the pitch to even allow that to be a possibility, regardless of how well they played.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Not sure the Aussies bowled that badly, once the bounce went off the new ball the pitch really wasn't offering much. It was slow, flat, ball wasn't swinging, etc.

Commentary said with Covid it was the first it had been played on for almost a year, which maybe was a contributing factor to the pitch not breaking up as you'd expect.

India could have won that match if Vihari didn't do his hammy and couldn't run.... and I wasn't expecting the pitch to even allow that to be a possibility, regardless of how well they played.

Think at one stage the stats showed something like 18 of the last 200 deliveries would’ve gone on to hit the stumps. 

Surely with the pitch doing so little (and with Starc and Cummins in the attack) you need to take the pitch out the equation and just start sending bumpers and Yorkers?

7 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

Nice bit of luck at short stop by Bairstow butbat what price? Hopefully not a bad one on his ankle. 

And then next up gets cleaned bowled. 

Sri Lanka aint upto much with the bat. 

If a pretty average test level spinner like Dom Bess is taking a 5fer off you on day 1 of a test match - and taking a 5fer without even playing particularly well, then..... you have to say that it hasn't been a good day with the bat.

4 or 5 of those dismissals today were gift wrapped and given to England. Really poor batting and unlike England, Sri Lanka should be test sharp!

England will steam roll them in this series.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

If a pretty average test level spinner like Dom Bess is taking a 5fer off you on day 1 of a test match - without even playing particularly well..... you have to say that it hasn't been a good day with the bat.

4 or 5 of those dismissals today were gift wrapped and given to England. Really poor.

Two getting out to reverse sweeps, plus the bizarre one off Bairstow’s ankle. Throw in the long-hop straight to the fielder and the slog that missed completely and it’s the most village five wicket haul you’ll ever see in Test Cricket.

Credit to Bess though, who himself admitted he didn’t actually bowl all that well.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

If a pretty average test level spinner like Dom Bess is taking a 5fer off you on day 1 of a test match - and taking a 5fer without even playing particularly well, then..... you have to say that it hasn't been a good day with the bat.

4 or 5 of those dismissals today were gift wrapped and given to England. Really poor batting and unlike England, Sri Lanka should be test sharp!

Before I left for work I seen Leach bowl 3 rippers and not one took a wicket. Sometimes that’s how it goes. 

19 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

@McEwan's Lager I saw earlier today that the woman accusing Babar Azam of sexual assault retracted her accusation and issued an apology.

Obviously, unsure if she was paid off or was actually lying

Is it not a pretty big thing in Pakistan to admit publicly that you have had pre-marital sex even if you have been raped?

14 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Is it not a pretty big thing in Pakistan to admit publicly that you have had pre-marital sex even if you have been raped?

Yes, which is why they took a big step forward (with a controversial chemical castration policy for convicts) with their anti-rape laws in December:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/16/pakistan-law-comes-into-effect-amid-outcry-over-victim-blaming-by-police 

As with every single law in Pakistan though, the enforcement is entirely down to the police. Pre-marital sex for example is illegal in Pakistan under the Islamisation laws introduced by Zia-Ul-Haq in '79. The punishment can range from a fine to getting publicly whipped to being sentenced to death. 

The only time these cases are ever exposed or come to light is when the couples who get caught refuse to bribe the police to turn a blind eye, usually. 

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Not half-way through Day 2 and England have probably already won this Test. 

Slightly annoyed at how ridiculously bad Sri Lanka were yesterday having spoiled the test match.

England showing today that wicket isn't particularly hard to score off (as yet) and barring a monumental fuck up - which tbf..... its England - have breezed this.

16 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Certainly looks that way.

I'm definitely out the loop I barely recognise anyone in the Sri Lanka side and 5 of the names in the England team don't mean anything to me.

It's a very young Sri Lankan team and I don't think the level of talent coming through right now is very good there but I have always said I'd rather lose with youth than continue with older players who have consistently failed, which seems to be the Pakistan approach :lol:

51 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

It's a very young Sri Lankan team and I don't think the level of talent coming through right now is very good there but I have always said I'd rather lose with youth than continue with older players who have consistently failed, which seems to be the Pakistan approach :lol:

I worked with a Tamil Indian and Sri Lankan who knew a load about cricket (indeed the Indian guy had top domestic level experience and is still at 40 odd playing in the UAE domestic league).

Both were so critical of the politics and administration of Sri Lankan cricket, which both said developmentally varied between being incompetant and mental. The biggest holding the country back.

Just now, Badger said:

I worked with an Indian and Sri Lankan who knew a load about cricket (indeed the Indian guy had List A experience and is still playing in the UAE domestic league).

Both were so critical of the politics and administration of Sri Lankan cricket, which both said developmentally varied between being incompetant and mental.

Yeah, I think that's spot on. Lots of corruption and missing funds. The Lanka Premier League was a bit of a shambles, the draft was mental and the officials literally never knew the correct rules / draft restrictions etc because they were only ratified on the day of the draft for it. The ownership of the teams is also unclear, they never bothered to perform proper due diligence from bids for teams. 

The Government also then gets involved, which goes against ICC rules but there's always a power struggle in the sub continent. I think Murali came out a few years ago and absolutely slated them

I remember years ago Haroon Lorgat was hired to perform an independent review and he made loads of recommendations, most of which have still not been implemented now and it has been at least 5+ years, I can't remember exactly when the review was done

It's very, very similar to Pakistan, except in Pakistan there is a clearer reason for it and that's the bizarre rivalry between Karachi/Lahore and the constant power struggle. Pakistani cricket is also slightly better off financially purely driven by the size of the country and the population with cricket being the number 1 sport. 

Lovely ball from Leach to take that late wicket. 

Sri Lanka need Thirimanne to convert to a century and a Thirimanne-like innings from at least one other player to at least try and make a game of this. England having to bat even chasing 150 on the final day on a worn, spinning wicket, we've all seen that kind of story on the sub continent. 

First 2 sessions of Day 4 absolutely crucial for both teams

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

Lovely ball from Leach to take that late wicket. 

Sri Lanka need Thirimanne to convert to a century and a Thirimanne-like innings from at least one other player to at least try and make a game of this. England having to bat even chasing 150 on the final day on a worn, spinning wicket, we've all seen that kind of story on the sub continent. 

First 2 sessions of Day 4 absolutely crucial for both teams

Extraordinary to think Sri Lanka have a potential road to victory in this.