One Scotland. Many Cultures & 2 Tier "justice"

D'Artagnan

I suppose it sums up the mentality we are dealing with, when two sets of supposedly grown up adults forego the many possibilities and wonders the internet has to offer, and instead use it as a platform to hurl hate filled abuse at one another in the form of delightful expletives such a “h**” or “fenian”. I’m sure that’s not what Leonard Kleinrock nor J.C.R Licklider had in mind when they first tantalised the world with talk of an “Intergalactic Computer Network”

But as if the sight of these intergalactic keyboard warriors was not bad enough, last week saw a further unedifying dimension to this battle – a blanket bombing of hypocrisy and double standards. The revelation that SNP Candidate for Argyll and Bute, Brendan O’Hara had used hate speech on a message board to describe Rangers supporters was accompanied, of course, by the almost mandatory “apology”. Amazing how remorseful such individuals are when they are exposed. I’m sure Scott Lamont was equally remorseful, but that didn’t stop him receiving a 4 month jail sentence for singing the Billy Boys. So much for the European right of “equality before the law” Orwell it seems was correct – “All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others”

But the actions of the prospective candidate for Argyll and Bute, pale into insignificance when one examines the actions of the political party he represents. A party who commandeered a bulldozer to drive their much criticised anti-sectarian legislation through Holyrood, continue to endorse a candidate who engages in the type of hate speech they sought to criminalise. If Carlsberg did hypocrisy they would probably be a poor second to the SNP. (I only use the word “probably” to retain the sentiment of the original Carlsberg advert)

On Rangers message boards across the internet the forthcoming election has generated considerable discussion. To the ridicule of others, some fans have suggested voting in keeping with their football allegiance, with the critics suggesting such action is ludicrous. Is it really any more ludicrous than voting for a party who endorse a candidate guilty of hate speech against our club? Such action certainly appears to contain elements of the proverbial turkey voting for Christmas.

The simple truth is that the SNP’s anti-sectarian bill is a complete and unmitigated disaster irrespective of its apparent selective application. Or to quote Sheriff Richard Davidson’s legal description – “mince”.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/dundee-sheriff-criticises-anti-sectarian-legislation-1.82470

Some argue further suggesting that it has been more of a hindrance than a help in tackling the problem.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/407619/Anti-sectarian-law-has-failed

They were well warned but clearly such warnings went unheeded.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/8763546/Tom-Devine-SNPs-anti-sectarian-bill-is-a-disaster.html

In fact when one considers the list of persons giving evidence before the committee, and their subsequent opposition to the Bill, one wonders if anyone was actually listening to the evidence presented by the various invited contributors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14800819

Perhaps even more sinister is the silence of one of our country’s most eminent authorities on the subject of sectarianism – Professor Steve Bruce of Aberdeen University. In his book “Independence of the Scottish Mind” author Gerry Hassan interviews various Scottish commentators including Peter Jones of the Scotsman/Economist. Jones discussing the subject of sectarianism remarks:

"I mean Steve Bruce will now not talk about the subject at all'.

Hassan wrote a few lines later: 'What is relevant to this discussion is that Jones felt Bruce was "silenced".

One has to ask the question why and by whom a Professor, backed up by academic research, and who presents a far more positive image of our country than those who for political capital, tarnish her with the label of suffering from a “secret sectarian shame” is effectively silenced?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2011/apr/24/scotland-sectarianism-research-data

And Good Lord, our country is in dire need of some positive imagery. Unless of course you class baying and organised mobs, acting in a threatening and intimidating manner with the sole purpose of usurping the right of freedom of speech as witnessed in Glasgow yesterday, as positive imagery. Or the paradox of Republican Bands marching under a banner of “Hope Over Fear” through the streets of Glasgow.

In fact why does hate speech have to have any religious connotations to qualify it as a crime?

Most reasonable people of whatever political or religious persuasion should be utterly appalled at the levels of abuse suffered by internet pro-unionist blogger Effie Deans, or Ruth Davidson – none of which is religiously motivated. Yet it as poisonous, insidious and as harmful as anything with a religious connotation.

Prof Steve Bruce may have been silenced but it is imperative his message is not.

“Scotland's disgrace is not religious bigotry. It is the unthinking way in which sectarianism is assumed”

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that the SNP are content to allow their bad apples to represent them in the impending election can be viewed as an indictment of the Scottish electorate. It comes as no surprise to me, as modern liberal group-think seems to be very selective about who can qualify as a victim and who gets ignored and ridiculed instead.

The fact that the SNP are content to allow their bad apples to represent them in the impending election can be viewed as an indictment of the Scottish electorate. It comes as no surprise to me, as modern liberal group-think seems to be very selective about who can qualify as a victim and who gets ignored and ridiculed instead.

The SNP are the bad apple!

It's not just Scotland though... Northern Ireland is even worse! England has its problems too I might add... It saddens me that the country I grew up in will not be the same for my boy growing up. Rights and freedoms we have, and out forefathers fought and died for are bit by bit being stripped away!

I am massively proud of being British and my British identity but in 20 years time what will it be?

Rant over!

There is a seam of absolute nastiness and hatred running through the SNP. Kevin McGuire (yes I know) is the editor of the Mirror, an English self confessed republican so no anti SNP agenda.

On Sky News newspaper review last night, even he was acknowledging and shaking his head at the size, organisation and deep unfettered nastiness of the SNP social media machine, saying that of all the major political parties, it is the worst. Extreme nationalism like that is quite scary.

It's not just Scotland though... Northern Ireland is even worse! England has its problems too I might add... It saddens me that the country I grew up in will not be the same for my boy growing up. Rights and freedoms we have, and out forefathers fought and died for are bit by bit being stripped away!

I am massively proud of being British and my British identity but in 20 years time what will it be?

Rant over!

Northern Ireland is not worse. In Norn iron yes we have constant issues with anti British haters / Irish republicanism etc but we fight back. We have people, parties and groups who actively and vociferously challenge all forms of anti British sectarianism.

The thing that astounds me with Scotland is that you just seem to accept living in the anti British, anti Protestant, anti Rangers cesspit and allow it to continue virtually unopposed?

That would never ever happen in Northern Ireland.

For me nationalism = republicanism

If the nats had got what they wanted last year how long would it be before they would be calling for scotland to become a republic.

They have a millitant almost marxist agenda and are trying to push their views by all means possible including violence and intimidation.

Its no surprise that the 3 areas who voted yes last year have the largest percentage of historical Irish imigrants in scotland - the snp are using the politics of hate to get their message through.

We are well on the way down the road to living in a nasty narrow minded wee shithole of a country (if we aren't already there) the fact that a large percentage of people in our society seem to be cheering it on for all its worth is saddening to say the least.

Being Scottish these days seems to be all about hating the English and anything British than it is about loving your own country inside the UK and the great idea the UK is.

Having viewed various countries who have broken from the "Protectorate" of Great Britain over many decades, and who have sought to go it alone, I have come to these conclusions.

1) The only people who lose Out through nationalism are the people who voted it in in the first place.

2) The new economy goes to hell in a hand basket.

3) The nationalists can only survive through hatred and require an enemy/scapegoat.

4) When the new found nationalists have no enemy/scapegoat they invent one, or eventually turn on each other.

Hence going back to my first conclusion, it all ends in tears, and they wish they had never broken away in the first place.

Be very careful who and what identity you invite into our already free sovereign country.

This vote could be the first step towards something very unpleasant so watch your step.

:uk:

Having viewed various countries who have broken from the "Protectorate" of Great Britain over many decades, and who have sought to go it alone, I have come to these conclusions.

1) The only people who lose Out through nationalism are the people who voted it in in the first place.

3) The nationalists can only survive through hatred and require an enemy/scapegoat.

4) When the new found nationalists have no enemy/scapegoat they invent one, or eventually turn on each other.

Hence going back to my first conclusion, it all ends in tears, and they wish they had never broken away in the first place.

Be very careful who and what identity you invite into our already free sovereign country.

This vote could be the first step towards something very unpleasant so watch your step.

Which countries are you talking about that broke away and regretted it? (and presumably have asked to come back)

Yep the nationalist of the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand ( and so on) in breaking free from the UK certainly 'lost out' and 'turned on them selves'

It'll 'All end in tears' or maybe not!

I suppose it sums up the mentality we are dealing with, when two sets of supposedly grown up adults forego the many possibilities and wonders the internet has to offer, and instead use it as a platform to hurl hate filled abuse at one another in the form of delightful expletives such a h** or fenian. Im sure thats not what Leonard Kleinrock nor J.C.R Licklider had in mind when they first tantalised the world with talk of an Intergalactic Computer Network

But as if the sight of these intergalactic keyboard warriors was not bad enough, last week saw a further unedifying dimension to this battle a blanket bombing of hypocrisy and double standards. The revelation that SNP Candidate for Argyll and Bute, Brendan OHara had used hate speech on a message board to describe Rangers supporters was accompanied, of course, by the almost mandatory apology. Amazing how remorseful such individuals are when they are exposed. Im sure Scott Lamont was equally remorseful, but that didnt stop him receiving a 4 month jail sentence for singing the Billy Boys. So much for the European right of equality before the law Orwell it seems was correct All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others

But the actions of the prospective candidate for Argyll and Bute, pale into insignificance when one examines the actions of the political party he represents. A party who commandeered a bulldozer to drive their much criticised anti-sectarian legislation through Holyrood, continue to endorse a candidate who engages in the type of hate speech they sought to criminalise. If Carlsberg did hypocrisy they would probably be a poor second to the SNP. (I only use the word probably to retain the sentiment of the original Carlsberg advert)

On Rangers message boards across the internet the forthcoming election has generated considerable discussion. To the ridicule of others, some fans have suggested voting in keeping with their football allegiance, with the critics suggesting such action is ludicrous. Is it really any more ludicrous than voting for a party who endorse a candidate guilty of hate speech against our club? Such action certainly appears to contain elements of the proverbial turkey voting for Christmas.

The simple truth is that the SNPs anti-sectarian bill is a complete and unmitigated disaster irrespective of its apparent selective application. Or to quote Sheriff Richard Davidsons legal description mince.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/dundee-sheriff-criticises-anti-sectarian-legislation-1.82470

Some argue further suggesting that it has been more of a hindrance than a help in tackling the problem.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/407619/Anti-sectarian-law-has-failed

They were well warned but clearly such warnings went unheeded.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/8763546/Tom-Devine-SNPs-anti-sectarian-bill-is-a-disaster.html

In fact when one considers the list of persons giving evidence before the committee, and their subsequent opposition to the Bill, one wonders if anyone was actually listening to the evidence presented by the various invited contributors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14800819

Perhaps even more sinister is the silence of one of our countrys most eminent authorities on the subject of sectarianism Professor Steve Bruce of Aberdeen University. In his book Independence of the Scottish Mind author Gerry Hassan interviews various Scottish commentators including Peter Jones of the Scotsman/Economist. Jones discussing the subject of sectarianism remarks:

"I mean Steve Bruce will now not talk about the subject at all'.

Hassan wrote a few lines later: 'What is relevant to this discussion is that Jones felt Bruce was "silenced".

One has to ask the question why and by whom a Professor, backed up by academic research, and who presents a far more positive image of our country than those who for political capital, tarnish her with the label of suffering from a secret sectarian shame is effectively silenced?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2011/apr/24/scotland-sectarianism-research-data

And Good Lord, our country is in dire need of some positive imagery. Unless of course you class baying and organised mobs, acting in a threatening and intimidating manner with the sole purpose of usurping the right of freedom of speech as witnessed in Glasgow yesterday, as positive imagery. Or the paradox of Republican Bands marching under a banner of Hope Over Fear through the streets of Glasgow.

In fact why does hate speech have to have any religious connotations to qualify it as a crime?

Most reasonable people of whatever political or religious persuasion should be utterly appalled at the levels of abuse suffered by internet pro-unionist blogger Effie Deans, or Ruth Davidson none of which is religiously motivated. Yet it as poisonous, insidious and as harmful as anything with a religious connotation.

Prof Steve Bruce may have been silenced but it is imperative his message is not.

Scotland's disgrace is not religious bigotry. It is the unthinking way in which sectarianism is assumed

... And yet you ignore one small point - the party you hate had a democratic mandate to govern, were able to pass the law, and indeed, despite passing this law are going from strength to strength? How could that be?

But then democracy only seems to suit when the outcome is what 'one' wants.

For me nationalism = republicanism

If the nats had got what they wanted last year how long would it be before they would be calling for scotland to become a republic.

They have a millitant BLATANTLY marxist agenda (AIDED AND ABETTED BY A COMPLICIT LEFT WING MEDIA) and are trying to push their views by all means possible including violence and intimidation.

Its no surprise that the 3 areas who voted yes last year have the largest percentage of historical Irish imigrants in scotland - the snp are using the politics of hate to get their message through.

Fixed that for you.

The issue here is about Freedom of Speech.

The US has this as their First Amendment: it is that important to them.

FoS allows anything to be said, even the most vile, because it allows expression, without repression.

What we have allowed to occur in the United Kingdom, and in particular in this section, in Scotland the Sectarian debate, has been hijacked by people of a blatant leftist agenda.

The US 1st Amendment would literally throw all of these arguments in the bin.

However, as many people in the UK have not grasped the seriousness of this blatantly one-sided legally-backed imposition, they find themselves unable to understand it, or fight it.

Blatant abuses happen....such as the boy singing TBB who gets jailed, versus the SNP bloke willfully using "h*n" who apologises and all is forgiven.

To bring politics into it, last week a UKIP PPC said that a Labour candidate was sending their money back abroad, and was suspended by the party forthwith.

A Conservative PPC said she could not vote for Miliband, "the Jew" ( she wrote that bit in Arabic). No action taken.

But guess which one made all the headlines in the media? And guess which one was TOTALLY ignored?

Same double standards are happening re the PUL in Scotland.

As the Ulster bear has stated above..."we would never let that happen"...that is primarily because NI has never descended into the left wing cesspit that Scotland gleefully dived into.

The Tory, and specifically THATCHER-HATEFEST that hit old Scotia like a tsunami has swamped right-thinking people all over the country, and has led to indigenous Scots feeling like a bunch of insurgent immigrants has washed over our country, and is trying to sweep them away.

Sad but true.

Politics has caused this, and because they have a blatant agenda, they will only make things worse. And with Rangers FC being one of the most enthusiastic Union Flag waving supporters anywhere in Britain, one can only assume they hate that ( and us) with a vengeance.

Now in the hell are the SNP going to deal with that? Especially if Independence actually happens, and I think that is now a near certainty.

I see no positive outcome for Scotland in the near to long term future.

... And yet you ignore one small point - the party you hate had a democratic mandate to govern, were able to pass the law, and indeed, despite passing this law are going from strength to strength? How could that be?

But then democracy only seems to suit when the outcome is what 'one' wants.

Are you supporting the SNP candidate for Argyll & Bute who refers to our club in terms of hate speech?