Formations....

Bazza

Which one???  

35 members have voted

1. 1. To start on the opening day of the season

• 4-4-2
    • 4-3-3

Just to follow on from Danny's Midfield thread a wee poll.....

For the first game of the season, do you think Walter will go with the standard 4-4-2 or, as I think he may, 4-3-3.

I think it will depend on the signing of Faubert.

If we get him I think we will go with a 4-4-2, but if not I think it will be a 4-3-3.

Personally, I would go with the 4-4-2.

I think he will go 4-4-2... at least from the off, he may change during the game, dependant on how it's going. Especially being up north, I think he will play it slightly more cautious, than a more attacking formation ^_^

I think it will depend on the signing of Faubert.

If we get him I think we will go with a 4-4-2, but if not I think it will be a 4-3-3.

Personally, I would go with the 4-4-2.

Agree with this 100% (tu)

I'd be surprised if it's anything other than a 4-2-3-1....

Beasley and Faubert both get forward from wide positions enabling Ferguson to play in the hole. Thomson and Hemdani will play the holding roles. That formation allows an attacking outlook for certain games and a more defensive one for the tougher matches. Interchanging one of the holding players for Ferguson and utilising Buffel or Gow for the offensive central role as well as the likes of Adam and Burke gives us excellent depth and versatility in tactics.

I can't see a 4-4-2 because that would only leave Ferguson and Thomson/Hemdani in central midfield and, as we've seen for the past 2 seasons, we've allowed teams to bully us through the centre far too easily.

I'd be surprised if it's anything other than a 4-2-3-1....

Beasley and Faubert both get forward from wide positions enabling Ferguson to play in the hole. Thomson and Hemdani will play the holding roles. That formation allows an attacking outlook for certain games and a more defensive one for the tougher matches. Interchanging one of the holding players for Ferguson and utilising Buffel or Gow for the offensive central role as well as the likes of Adam and Burke gives us excellent depth and versatility in tactics.

I can't see a 4-4-2 because that would only leave Ferguson and Thomson/Hemdani in central midfield and, as we've seen for the past 2 seasons, we've allowed teams to bully us through the centre far too easily.

I have to say I agree with that Frankie - cant see 4-4-2 - simply because I cant see him leaving Thomson or Hemdani out.

Smith said he is looking forward to a JCD and Boyd partnership, which would suggest a 4-4-2.

He has also stated that Thomson will be a regular next season, meaning Hemdani's chances look slim.

Smith said he is looking forward to a JCD and Boyd partnership, which would suggest a 4-4-2.

He has also stated that Thomson will be a regular next season, meaning Hemdani's chances look slim.

Could still be a 4-3-3 with one wide player

Like I said before it could well be, depending if we get Faubert. (tu)

Ach Im fed up guessing Davy - its just good to have a sizeable squad which keeps us....and hopefully the opposition guessing

As D'Art just touched on now we actually have options and for the first time in a long time it's actually quite difficult to predict just what our starting line up is going to be and that to me is an excellent sign.

Obvioulsy the defence just about picks itself as does Ferguson. But besides that it's going to be very diffficult to predict just who will play, especially if you consider that all the players we have signed and are still targeting have versatility which means we can adapt to a number of formations depending on who and how we are playing.

In terms of squad depth in midfield and upfront we are catching Celtic a lot quicker than I though we would:

Burke can play right, left and just off a striker

Gow and Naismith can both play left, upfront and just off a striker

McCulloch can play left and upfront

Beasley can play left, right and probably upfront if we were really stuck

JCD can play through the middle and upfront

Adam can play in the centre and out left

Faubert can play right back and right mid

Novo can go through the middle or out wide

In terms of players who will probably play a role next season it is only Boyd that is effective in one position, which suggests to me that he will be the main man with the others based around him.

I'm certainly feeling optimistic about next year at this moment in time!

Ach Im fed up guessing Davy - its just good to have a sizeable squad which keeps us....and hopefully the opposition guessing

Yeah, thats it mate (tu):)

As D'Art just touched on now we actually have options and for the first time in a long time it's actually quite difficult to predict just what our starting line up is going to be and that to me is an excellent sign.

Obvioulsy the defence just about picks itself as does Ferguson. But besides that it's going to be very diffficult to predict just who will play, especially if you consider that all the players we have signed and are still targeting have versatility which means we can adapt to a number of formations depending on who and how we are playing.

In terms of squad depth in midfield and upfront we are catching Celtic a lot quicker than I though we would:

Burke can play right, left and just off a striker

Gow and Naismith can both play left, upfront and just off a striker

McCulloch can play left and upfront

Beasley can play left, right and probably upfront if we were really stuck

JCD can play through the middle and upfront

Adam can play in the centre and out left

Faubert can play right back and right mid

Novo can go through the middle or out wide

In terms of players who will probably play a role next season it is only Boyd that is effective in one position, which suggests to me that he will be the main man with the others based around him.

I'm certainly feeling optimistic about next year at this moment in time!

Great post there as it shows the versatility I was thinking of, in that we may go with a 3 up front that I mentioned in either Danny or Maddog's thread yesterday. DBBTB - take it, you see Boyd as a stick on as you didn't list him?

Em, the only thing that concerns me is that perhaps Walter may not have the tactical nous that Dick and Alex (at times) had. I just get the fear - not to the same extent as Minstral though as I believe he would only play 'Italian like' away from home and of which I disagree with but that's a different story - that Walter may try his damnest to stick to a 4-4-2.

However, It would be fantastic to see Rangers with a fast front 3 again like the days of Shota, Canniggia, Peter etc as it attracts fans and makes us an attractive team to watch.

We could be the neutral's favourite team if not the media's!