Bbc Report Talks Held With Warburton

Rangers have held discussions with former Brentford boss Mark Warburton about the manager's job at Ibrox.

Warburton, 52, is believed to be one of a number of candidates being considered along with current boss Stuart McCall.

Former Rangers captain David Weir, who assisted Warburton at Brentford, has also been spoken to.

The Ibrox side will be in the Scottish Championship next season after losing the Premiership play-off final against Motherwell.

McCall's side lost 6-1 over two legs against his former club, allowing the Fir Park outfit to preserve their Premiership status.

The 50-year-old former Rangers player returned to Ibrox as manager in March, taking over from Kenny McDowall, and guided the side through the play-off quarter-final and semi-final after they finished third in the Championship.

He has stated his desire to stay in the job.

Former Enfield and Boreham Wood defender Warburton joined Brentford as first-team coach in 2011 and took over as manager following Uwe Rosler's departure in late 2013.

Mark Warburton

Mark Warburton left Brentford after their play-off semi-final defeat

Rangers have held discussions with former Brentford boss Mark Warburton about the manager's job at Ibrox.

Warburton, 52, is believed to be one of a number of candidates being considered along with current boss Stuart McCall.

Former Rangers captain David Weir, who assisted Warburton at Brentford, has also been spoken to.

The Ibrox side will be in the Scottish Championship next season after losing the Premiership play-off final against Motherwell.

McCall's side lost 6-1 over two legs against his former club, allowing the Fir Park outfit to preserve their Premiership status.

The 50-year-old former Rangers player returned to Ibrox as manager in March, taking over from Kenny McDowall, and guided the side through the play-off quarter-final and semi-final after they finished third in the Championship.

He has stated his desire to stay in the job.

Former Enfield and Boreham Wood defender Warburton joined Brentford as first-team coach in 2011 and took over as manager following Uwe Rosler's departure in late 2013.

Rangers manager Stuart McCall

McCall is keen to stay with Rangers

Promotion from League One to the Championship followed at the end of season 2013-14.

However, the Bees announced in February that Warburton would depart at the end of the season. Dutchman Marinus Dijkhuizen was appointed Brentford's new head coach on Monday.

Speaking about Rangers on Monday, Warburton said: "From my point of view they are a massive club.

"I have huge respect for the size of the club and the fan base at Rangers. Who wouldn't?

"I am well aware of the tradition and history of the club so I would never be anything other than absolutely respectful of a club of that stature."

This is not the CV of a man I'd expect to be the favourite candidate of our fanbase, with only 18 months experience as a manager and about the same as first team coach by the age of 52.

What is the special magic that makes him the leading candidate for so many?

His record doesn't appear any better than McCall's.

His approach does seem enthusiastic and thorough, but is that enough?

I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about Warburton either to be perfectly honest, he did a fine job at Brentford but it was his first gig, he's getting on a bit too, he isn't doing anything different to what a lot of guya have done in recent years, clubs who go up from League One often do well in the Championship - He's got a pretty decent record but it was one club, a club with low expectations and they're geographically lucky, they get loans from Arsneal, Spura etc due to them being a stonea throw from both clubs too.

It was a Perfect Storm for him at Brentford - much tougher gig at Rangers

My personal opinion is that he isn't what we need, 18 months as a manager of Brentford is not going to prepare anyone for the hot seat at Ibrox.

We have had enough mediocrity in the management for too long we need a proven manager that can take the pressure.

I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about Warburton either to be perfectly honest, he did a fine job at Brentford but it was his first gig, he's getting on a bit too, he isn't doing anything different to what a lot of guya have done in recent years, clubs who go up from League One often do well in the Championship - He's got a pretty decent record but it was one club, a club with low expectations and they're geographically lucky, they get loans from Arsneal, Spura etc due to them being a stonea throw from both clubs too.

It was a Perfect Storm for him at Brentford - much tougher gig at Rangers

It certainly seems that way to me.

Just another Cathro with not much to justify his popularity.

Why?

That's all.

Why?

He's a very good manager. I've been following his story on SSN for a while and i'm shocked we're even in for him.

I don't see any other name being linked with us that even has me remotely as excited.

I mentioned in the other thread I'm Told from a decent source that this is miles from being done and that there hasn't been a formal offer . I'd expect reports that the figures will probably be miles apart to run tomorrow . It may happen but I honest think it's more unlikely than likely despite his respect and interest in the club .

He's a very good manager. I've been following his story on SSN for a while and i'm shocked we're even in for him.

I don't see any other name being linked with us that even has me remotely as excited.

All 18 months of it?

It just seems that he lacks experience for a 52 year old.

I don't think there's ever been a previous circumstance in our history where the words "unemployed former Brentford manager" and "next Rangers manager" have occurred in the same newspaper, let alone sentence.

I'm open to the idea of somebody who's considered an up and comer purely because I don't think we are in a position to attract a more 'battle hardened' experienced manager that the fans would like tbh.

If we want experience where we are is going to dictate that it would probably be somebody in the Warnock or Jefferies mould and we all know how an appointment like that would go down among the support.

All 18 months of it?

I don't think there's ever been a previous circumstance in our history where the words "unemployed former Brentford manager" and "next Rangers manager" have occurred in the same newspaper, let alone sentence.

It's been a very good 18 months compared to say the decade that Billy Davies has under his belt.

If it was Marcel Warburtoni from a small Italian side would you feel differently?

All 18 months of it?

There hasn't ever been a previous circumstance in our history where we have limped into 3rd position behind an average hearts and hibs team in Scotland's second tier.

We are not that footballing giant we once were.

Davies has matched, probably bettered, anything Warburton has ever done tbh.

All i can say to you at this point is if Davies is appointed i would be completely gutted if it's Warburton i'll be very happy.

What noted and experienced manager would want to manage in the second tier of Scottish football? And also what sort of money are we talking about? Warburton and Weir are probably the level (experience and salary demands) we can expect and would be my choice from the bookies list. I do think they might be able to build a squad that can get us up and compete in the SPL, if they are given a reasonable budget. But only time would tell. Maybe a foreign manager would be good. I really don't know <cr>