Our New Captain Is....possibly John Eustace

trueblueal

MW was clear about mixing young, hungry youth with experience.

I trust him.

Me too. We were in dire need leadership on the park last season. I'd take this guy over Black or Hutton anyday. Even at 35 he'd still be one of the best players in the Scottish Championship next season.

Although it does say on the same page that Van Dijk is the best defender in Europe so a lot of the what the Record prints could be taken as pish :lol:

Quite an interesting CV, been captain at quite a few of his clubs, including Strachan's Coventry, although appears to be injured a lot.

Has been offered player coach roles before too, and looks to have done quite well at his various clubs, including his last season at Derby. ., maybe a potential coaching role involved ?

The experienced campaigner had a further operation to clean out the same knee in April, which ensured he would not return before the end of the season.

Derby's promotion bid faded during that time and they missed out on a Championship play-off place on the final day of the campaign.

McClaren admitted the team had missed Eustace during his enforced lay-off.

"He is one of those players who is unassuming and just gets on with his job," said McClaren at the end of the season.

"His record when he plays is phenomenal, his win record is unbelievable. The players like him, he is experienced and we did miss that.

Warburton has got to effectively build a squad from scratch so there was always going to be a few experienced players coming in to supplement the younger ones we will sign. I'm sure he actually said that in one of his interviews.

I imagine he will just sit in the middle of the park, starting moves with simple passes and plugging gaps so the other younger players can be freed up to go forward more.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a bit of an underwhelming name, but it's not something I'm going to go mental about either.

I know nothing about the guy but I hope he's a tough old pro because we were ragged about like kids against them in the cup. We need some balls as well as skillful players. We were leaderless

Warburton has got to effectively build a squad from scratch so there was always going to be a few experienced players coming in to supplement the younger ones we will sign. I'm sure he actually said that in one of his interviews.

I imagine he will just sit in the middle of the park, starting moves with simple passes and plug gaps so the other younger players can be freed up to go forward more.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a bit of an underwhelming name, but it's not something I'm going to go mental about either because I trust Warburton's judgement.

Yep.

love the young players and like working with younger players but theyve got to deal with the experience of playing in front of 45,000 people.

Thats a big ask for a young player so the balance is key. You want your two or three older players in mentoring roles to help the younger players coming through.