Our New Captain Is....possibly John Eustace

trueblueal

what does turning pro have to do with anything?it shows you how misguided you are if you are trying to tell people that david weir was as good a player at 37 than he was in his late 20'sindeed id advise you to ask Mr Weir what he thinksor instead you could maybe phone up the medical profession and tell them you have found someone who has the same turn of speed, at 37, as they did at 27they had the same healing prowess, at 37 as they did at 27next you will be telling me that he had the same amount of active spunk in his baws at 37 than he did at 27

The point was that he didn't start his professional career until 4 or 5 years later than most players, so at 37 you could argue he was actually playing with the legs of a 32 year old. I'd say he was better at us than what he was at Hearts during his late 20s.

Age means nothing, it's down to how the player looks after himself.

Just been reading through this thread this morning and I can't believe it , so many people saying they've never heard of this guy . You serious ? He's been in the championship for ages and has strolled it , I've seen him quite a few times over the past couple of seasons ( I have sky , it's not impossible to watch a derby or Watford game ffs ) and obviously I wasn't paying complete attention to him but he looked very assured .

Ps . Even if you haven't heard of him , which I still think as football fans is mental , how many times have Inverness , Ross county , Motherwell , etc. all signed players you've never heard of before who have done great ? No idea why that's such a negative point . Who the fuck had heard of Eremenko before he turned up at Killie ?

He's 35 , so what ? Warburton said he'd have three old heads in the team .

If he signs he'll be a class act , mark my words .

MARK WARBURTON hopes to make veteran midfielder John Eustace the next captain of Rangers.

Record Sport can reveal the 35-year-old is expected in Glasgow next week for face-to-face talks with Warburton and a tour of the club’s stadium and training complex.

Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds have also been chasing Eustace after he left Derby as a free agent at the end of the season.

But Warburton will try to lure the Englishman north by offering him the armband at Ibrox and a key role in a complete overhaul of the Rangers team.

In fact, Warburton sees the experienced Eustace as a cornerstone signing and a potential fulcrum for a new look side which will be made up almost entirely of more youthful new arrivals.

These include 24-year-old defender Rob Kiernan who should become the first of a string of new recruits on Monday when he completes his move from Wigan.

Warburton also hopes to tie up a deal with ex-Hearts skipper Danny Wilson, available as a free agent.

But Eustace has become the priority target and the former Watford and Middlesbrough man may still require some persuading as he ponders on his options.

Warburton believes Eustace can provide Rangers with the same leadership qualities Davie Weir brought to the club when he signed for Walter Smith as a 36-year-old from Everton in 2007.

Weir signed a six-month deal but went on to play for four more seasons and has now returned to Ibrox as Warburton’s assistant.

They both see similar credentials in Eustace who was credited as the driving force behind Derby’s blistering start to last season in the Championship.

Steve McClaren’s side eventually ran out of steam in the push for promotion in the second half of the campaign, their dip coinciding with a knee injury to Eustace which required surgery and kept him on the sidelines.

Eustace went under the knife in January and is still going through rehabilitation from that operation but is expected to be fully fit in time for the start of the new season.

Warburton will get his first look at the squad he has inherited a week today after telling them to report for pre-season training on June 27.

The Light Blues boss is currently in the Czech Republic as part of a study group attending the European Under-21 Championship finals as he completes his UEFA Pro Licence.

But while he is taking in a number of games, including England’s clash with Sweden tomorrow, he won’t be staying for the whole tournament.

Instead he’s heading back to Glasgow after the group phase finishes on Wednesday to start preparing for the new campaign with Gers.

The Ibrox men played their last game of the 2014-15 campaign less than three weeks ago when they lost 3-0 at Motherwell in the second leg of the Premiership play-off final.

But with the new campaign beginning with a Petrofac Cup first-round tie on July 25 there’s little time for a turnaround and in total the squad will have just 27 days off.

The players went into their summer break not knowing how long they would be on holiday for and that was still the case until the new manager was announced on Monday.

Warburton has since made sure his each member of his pool has been contacted to tell them when they are due back and they will go through fitness tests at Murray Park next weekend.

Rangers have just 15 senior professionals to call upon at present including Barrie McKay, who will return to the club from a loan spell at Raith Rovers.

But they hope to tie up a deal for Wigan defender Kiernan early next week after he turned down the chance to join Birmingham.

Did you put that there?

:lol:

Nice to see you back posting again!

Naw,mate! That is his real name. :pipe: As I recollect many years ago there was a young player who went by the name of Mark Eustace and he was a very talented player who seemed to be destined for big things in England, until he just seemed to disappear from the scene, so I'm wondering if this the same player now being called by his christian name?

Most on here seem to be unimpressed due to his age, but I played in midfield until I retired at 41 even although my speed had long since waned. If he has young players beside him in midfield, he could possibly still do a job for us (injuries permitting)

Maybe he will be a short term signing if he joins us (and I'm not sure he will) but if we can't get other signings to do a job we need to get players now as the season is fast approaching.

Massive over reaction from some on here.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't who I pictured when Warburton was laying out his style, but I've no idea who this Eustace is, if his leadership qualities align with what Warburton is trying to achieve on the park, it can only be a good thing for the team, and a number of the younger players.

People didn't like mcculloch not because he was old, but because he was shoehorned into centrehalf, tried to make him something he wasn't and never looked like that inspiring of a leader. He cost us goals and our play had a detrimental effect with him there.

Age doesn't mean pish, miller was praised for his work ethic and some bits of his play last year, he was older than everyone yet had much more drive and impact than anyone else.

As a guy who'll get the team calm, get them playing how warbs wants, gets them shaped up as they should, gets them fired up before the game, i really don't see what the issue is. If he does that, he'll be a shrewd signing for a few of the younger lads (tu)

Your making an arse of yourself here. Although you are not alone.

I take it you have a very limited knowledge of football if you think 'no cunt as ever heard of him'.

Here we go again , everybody dive on to google and come back knowing everything about the guy .

Hes a 36 year old injury prone old pro who 95% of our support will never have heard of .

Like i said , another joke signing .........

Its a great move as he will be able to hit players with his Zimmer if they get past him.

If that Motherwell fan had violently assaulted Eustace with his flag pole he'd have gotten a walking stick across the mush for his troubles

Here we go again , everybody dive on to google and come back knowing everything about the guy .

Hes a 36 year old injury prone old pro who 95% of our support will never have heard of .

Like i said , another joke signing .........

95% aye? You just pull that figure out of your fanny?

Nice to see we are all united. Honest to god. I think it's a gamble simply due to his injury, but I trust warburton and his vision.

He is going to need a leader and there is not one in the team at all.

I bet we are raving about him in a few months.

We could potentially play Celtic twice this season, we do not want embarrassed and need people who can compete against them. Even now, at this level. Scott Brown couldn't lace Eustace' boots, even at 35, he would be a great signing.

You must know a bit about him then, care to shed any light on what we should expect if we do sign him?

Naw,mate! That is his real name. :pipe: As I recollect many years ago there was a young player who went by the name of Mark Eustace and he was a very talented player who seemed to be destined for big things in England, until he just seemed to disappear from the scene, so I'm wondering if this the same player now being called by his christian name?

Most on here seem to be unimpressed due to his age, but I played in midfield until I retired at 41 even although my speed had long since waned. If he has young players beside him in midfield, he could possibly still do a job for us (injuries permitting)

Maybe he will be a short term signing if he joins us (and I'm not sure he will) but if we can't get other signings to do a job we need to get players

now as the season is fast approaching.

:lol:

Well done on playing so long!

Wouldn't see the age bit as so much of an issue if he hadn't spent the last half season out of action.

IF he's fully fit, however, he does sound like the right type, as long as he's got guys around him to do the legwork.

Wouldn't trust an Ibrox medical - wasn't the last one we weeded out Hartson? That went well.....