Our New Captain Is....possibly John Eustace

trueblueal

You must know a bit about him then, care to shed any light on what we should expect if we do sign him?

Calm, dominant, can pass and has a wonderful engine and a bit of dig if needed. The kid can play, no doubt about it. He's a proper footballer.

I was reading elsewhere that Derby fans are blaming him being out the team for them not going up and that they are going to miss him so much which is a huge compliment.

Surely it's a no brainer you'd take either of them (assuming wages were same as Eustace's). Hardly a comparison

Its the age that im getting at, if they would take them why is it an issue to have a guy who our manager highly rates? If the majority are youth I have no problems with a couple of senior player tjat can help dictate a game

Good signing, people will crap all over it due to his age which is understandable but our very own #2 came to Rangers supposedly way past his best at 36 and had the best period of his career, he is an imposing figure who appears to be a winner on the pitch and in the dressing room, I think he'll be a good addition you just have to look at how Derby collapsed without him this Season

Hima sitting in front of Kiernan and Wilson is a million times better than anything we've had for a long time

What folk need to remember is that Warburton has already told us how he's going to do things, he's not going to fill the team with just young guys.

I'd possibly expect a veteran keeper through the door as well, he will use experience wherever he sees fit but he's already stated he likes players who can play football and who have potential.

Yes we have experienced players but as Sket said above - we have no leaders.

If Warburton fills the team with guys like this then his days are numbered before they've really began but that's not going to happen, he is known for promoting youth,

Really don't see the issue here.

I'm not against him as a player, I'm just, in principle, against signing a 35yr old.

We have failed to sell a player for 3yrs, we have constantly released older players from contracts and continuing to do so, is foolish.

However, I can fully understand the need for some experience in, what should be a majority of youthful team outlook, I just hoped for maybe a little younger experience v

How about we let our new manager put together the team he wants. Once all the new signings are in then look at the average age/development potential/resale potential before shitting ourselves!!

There's a push on to sell 45k season tickets - it's not unreasonable to help that along with a signing or two designed to excite, is it?

:lol:

Well done on playing so long!

Wouldn't see the age bit as so much of an issue if he hadn't spent the last half season out of action.

IF he's fully fit, however, he does sound like the right type, as long as he's got guys around him to do the legwork.

Wouldn't trust an Ibrox medical - wasn't the last one we weeded out Hartson? That went well.....

It seemed like a good idea at the time :D but I paid for it by the end of the season. The underlined bit is what worries me,because being out for half a season at that age is a serious problem as it must have been a bad injury being out for that long.

If he is the same Mark Eustace as I remember him being called, he had a lot of injuries at the start of his career, so I'm wary, but Warburton should know more about his fitness than we do.

We seem to have a bit of history of stuffing up medicals over the years, Prodan and Hartson being two that spring to mind and it wouldn't be the first time we have signed a player unfit to play immediately due to injury.

He's a good player but he has injury issues.

He'd completely command the team in a way we want, but I don't like how it's acceptable that someone can walk into such a magnificent establishment like Rangers and become captain instantly.

That's not on, no matter who it is.

You earn your stripes here.

No one currently at the club has earned the right or is captain material

I didn't comment on this thread last night as I wanted to sleep on it.

It seems to me that this guy is being targeted as someone to protect and guide the young players. It doesn't mean all our signings will be like this. We also don't know his wage. No, he won't have a sell on value but he might prove his worth by making our young guys better players.

Some people on here absolutely WANT to go into full-on meltdown mode at every chance.

One signing like this does not mean we are going back to the bad old days.

I didn't say that being a leader & being old were mutually exclusive.

Lee McCulloch was old, but was not a leader.

Barry Ferguson in his younger days, was a leader.

All I said was we have not had a leader on the park since Weir left. Eustace seems without doubt a leader.

I'm not particularly comfortable signing at 35 year old. That being said, Derby fans seem pretty gutted he is leaving which suggests he still has something to offer.

If he is on minimal wages (max 2/3k a week) then I can begin to understand. If not, then I struggle to see the benefit in bringing him in.

It's hard to believe he would come from the championship on that level of wage tbh. (tu)

36 in November, injury prone and even worse we're going to offer him captaincy..

Short-termism at it's best..

Awful, just awful..

This actually is short term-ism at its best. We need leaders now, and he is one. If he helps to coach and mentor the younger players, he's adding value to the team in the long term as well. On the assumption that most of our signings will be younger players, I'm happy with this one.