"the Clean Sweep"

UnionMen

The NIFL is a semi professional league, however I don't think that makes much difference. We have won more trophies than any other club in world football, does the fact that 54 of these 117 titles relate to winning a national league that is considered as a lesser league diminish the importance of them?

I understand your point but I don't think it matters in the historic context.

Linfield have actually won more titles/trophies than us but we are considered most succesful as they are semi pro.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are missing a Trophy that in it's time was as important as the League Cup or Scottish Cup. (I'll give you a clue; We are the record holders of it and will never be overtaken by the mhanks.) :pipe::21:

That's actually an u17's tournament now so technically we could be overtaken by bheasts :o

That's actually an u17's tournament now so technically we could be overtaken by bheasts :o

Technically we can't because since it went to youth games it is no longer counted in the records since the last senior final in 1989 when Partick Thistle defeated Clyde 2-0. :D

The scum have won the Trophy 32 times and we have won it 51 times. :pipe:

So what have we won 54 times?

The top flight. It's not really that hard to understand is it? But I'll go into retard mode just for you.

The Scottish Football League (SFL) was founded in 1890.

The Scottish Premier League (SPL) broke away from the SFL and started in 1998, for the 1998/99 season.

The SPL commisioned a new trophy for the breakaway league, the same way the Premiership down south did when they broke away in the early 90's, as the SFL owned the trophy (it also owned the league cup).

The old premier division pre-SPL days then became the first division. The trophy for winning the first division is the same trophy they used since 1890. We won that trophy 47 times, between 1890-1997.

In 2014, the SPL and SFL merged, ending both organisations and become the SPFL. The SPFL now runs the Scottish football set up, and owns the trophies.

The top flight.

BOOM. Fucking idiot.

How simple can it be, the Clean Sweep is every available competition in the country. On 1 hand you're saying we've already won it, then on another lumping it in with "top flight".

It's really this simple;

We've won the top flight 54 times.

We've won the 4th tier once.

We've one the 3rd tier once.

Hey Sheep, or goat or donkey or whatever fucking farm animal you want to be called, answer this;

how many times have Rangers won the 2nd tier?

In the 1921–22 season, Linfield FC achieved a clean sweep of all the domestic competitions they entered – the Irish League, Irish Cup, County Antrim Shield, Alhambra Cup, Belfast Charity Cup, Gold Cup and the City Cup

AND 7 trophies again in 1961-62 (although the North-South Cup was a carry over from 60-61 season!)

After last seasons fuck up let's just concentrate on the job in hand. Talk of clean sweeps, quadruples, how many goals we'll score etc has bitten us too many times the last 4 years.

I expect MW to win the league, or at least win the play offs, and instil a structure that the club can build on for years to come.

BOOM. Fucking idiot.

How simple can it be, the Clean Sweep is every available competition in the country. On 1 hand you're saying we've already won it, then on another lumping it in with "top flight".

It's really this simple;

Hey Sheep, or goat or donkey or whatever fucking farm animal you want to be called, answer this;

Your original post says trophies. We've lifted that trophy just in a different format as has been explained to you by more than one poster. You've now changed your post to say that the clean sweep is every competition because you've made an arse of yourself again.

BOOM. Fucking idiot.

It's really this simple;

You really are a mongo. :lol:

I honestly couldn't give a fuck about a clean sweep its the same mistake mccoist and many of our fans made with obsessing over a meaningless unbeaten run in the league breaking his promise to give youth a chance once the league was won.

Our long term future should take priority over a shitty little cup that no one could give a flying fuck about. Also there is no reason we cannot win the thing with a strong youth presence anyway.

Winning the Scottish Cup this year would be a massive statement of intent and progress made and would give us a crack at Europe.anything outwith that and the league would be a bonus imo.

Happy with the signings, a few more decent bodies in and can see us strolling the league like Hearts done (tu)

The highest division in Scotland. Until the Premier League began in the 70's, what is the Championship now was the highest division in the country.

"The highest division in Scotland" and what we currently compete in, are 2 entirely different things, unless what Hearts won last season you put on a par with our 54 wins.

It's a different competition, a different tier, regardless of what hunk of metal they give the players to get a photo with at the end of the season.

"The highest division in Scotland" and what we currently compete in, are 2 entirely different things, unless what Hearts won last season you put on a par with our 54 wins.

It's a different competition, a different tier, regardless of what hunk of metal they give the players to get a photo with at the end of the season.

Until the 70's the Scottish Football League Scottish First Division (which later became known as the SPFL Ladbrokes Championship) was the top tier in Scottish Football. Once the Premier Division began it became tier 1, the existing tier 1 became tier 2 and so on.

Wanted to win everything up until last seasons disappointments, now, I see the value and importance of promotion, so would settle for that.

My expectations are still the same though and I expect Rangers to compete for everything.

Until the 70's the Scottish Football League Scottish First Division (which later became known as the SPFL Ladbrokes Championship) was the top tier in Scottish Football. Once the Premier Division began it became tier 1, the existing tier 1 became tier 2 and so on.

Irrelevant to the point at hand.

There is a 122 year history associated with the division we're currently in, show me where we are in the record books as winners?

If we win the Petrofac cup this year and gain promotion via the play-offs then the 2nd tier of Scottish football will be the only one missing from the proverbial "Clean Sweep", as the official record books will show.