"the Clean Sweep"

UnionMen

Irrelevant to the point at hand.

There is a 122 year history associated with the division we're currently in, show me where we are in the record books as winners?

If we win the Petrofac cup this year and gain promotion via the play-offs then the 2nd tier of Scottish football will be the only one missing from the proverbial "Clean Sweep", as the official record books will show.

Every title we won prior to 1975 was won in this division.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our issues over NOT playing youth during our season was trying to achieve a stupid goal such as being undefeated ... trying this just brings added pressure to a new management team.

The Rangers Trophy cabinet consists of (domestic):

Scottish Championships

Scottish Cups

Scottish League Cups

Scottish Division 3 Champions

Scottish Division 2 Champions

This season is our last chance (unless we fail to get promoted or are relegated in the future) to achieve "the clean sweep" of winning every available trophy, which is missing;

Scottish Division 1 (Championship)

Scottish Challenge Cup (Petrofac)

How important is it to you we win "the clean sweep", and does anyone know if a "clean sweep" has ever been achieved before anywhere else in the world? (Celt*c sweeping between the 70's-90's doesn't count).

There is only one league and two cups worth celebrating and the Championship and Challenge cup are not two of them in the bigger picture.

There is only one league and two cups worth celebrating and the Championship and Challenge cup are not two of them in the bigger picture.

I'd consider the "bigger picture" to potentially be a world record. How many teams around the world have won EVERY competition, from bottom to the top, the "clean sweep"?

I'd consider the "bigger picture" to potentially be a world record. How many teams around the world have won EVERY competition, from bottom to the top, the "clean sweep"?

Rangers already hold numerous World Records.

You seem obsessed with sweeping...

As I said in the other thread, we now need to win the Lowland League for this accolade. Therefore, we should never get it.

Hmm i think it's reasonable to discount them on the basis that they are 1. Regional & 2. Not Professional

Clean sweep is dangerous talk. The Championship id non-negotiable. The Petrofac would be nice from a collector's point of view, but I would really like the Scottish cup and entry into Europe. I'd like it even more if we won it at the end of extra time with the jammiest goal ever, in off Scott Brown.

Hmm i think it's reasonable to discount them on the basis that they are 1. Regional & 2. Not Professional

Leagues one and two aren't professional. If we're discounting non professional and regional competitions then loads of clubs have done clean sweeps.

Show me our name in the official record books then (other then the "3rd" for 2014/15):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winners_of_the_Scottish_Championship_and_predecessors

You should check the names on the Trophy that Hertz lifted this year. You will find Rangers name engraved on it 47 times. Your OP was factually incorrect and no amount of back-pedalling will change that.

I expect us to win the Championship, I expect us to win the Challenge Cup and I expect us to mount a serious challenge for the Scottish and League Cup.

Championship and Challenge Cup are realistic expectations for me.

Unless there's more significant investment in the playing squad I don't see us winning or challenging for any of the other cups unless the draw is kind to us.

Championship and Challenge Cup are realistic expectations for me.

Unless there's more significant investment in the playing squad I don't see us winning or challenging for any of the other cups unless the draw is kind to us.

Last season we got to the semis of the league cup and beat Inverness, Kilmarnock and st Johnstone on the way there. With better players coming in and with having a better management I can't see why we can't do better than that this season ?

Last season we got to the semis of the league cup and beat Inverness, Kilmarnock and st Johnstone on the way there. With better players coming in and with having a better management I can't see why we can't do better than that this season ?

That was my point, we need more significant investment in the playing squad before we can think about challenging for the League and Scottish Cups, pains me to say it but we were out of our depth against the mhanks when we played them so for a realistic cup run we need a far stronger squad and currently we don't have it so I think, for now at least, your expectations are unrealistic.

That opinion may change by the time the transfer window closes (tu)

Leagues one and two aren't professional. If we're discounting non professional and regional competitions then loads of clubs have done clean sweeps.

The top 4 tiers are national and at least semi-pro. I don't think it's unreasonable to discount fully amatuer regional leagues.

Which clubs have done these "clean sweeps"? Something on a par with winning; Div 3 , Div 2, Div 1, Prem,FA Cup, League Cup, Challenge Cup?

The top 4 tiers are national and at least semi-pro. I don't think it's unreasonable to discount fully amatuer regional leagues.

Which clubs have done these "clean sweeps"? Something on a par with winning; Div 3 , Div 2, Div 1, Prem,FA Cup, League Cup, Challenge Cup?

Wolves.

Prem, D1, D2, D3, FA Cup, League Cup, FA Trophy and Community Shield.

A wee mention for Spartans . Greater than Hibs and Hearts. :)

In Season 2010-11 Spartans were the first team in East of Scotland history to win the domestic clean sweep, winning all 5 domestic trophies – The East of Scotland Premier Division, South Challenge Cup, Image Printers East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, League Cup and King Cup.

A wee mention for Spartans . Greater than Hibs and Hearts. :)

In Season 2010-11 Spartans were the first team in East of Scotland history to win the domestic clean sweep, winning all 5 domestic trophies The East of Scotland Premier Division, South Challenge Cup, Image Printers East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, League Cup and King Cup.

Nope, clean sweep isn't in inverted commas therefore it doesn't count.