Evening Standard

Blueshoff

There is a piece on MW in the Standard tonight. Nice to see our profile being raised again. Saying how Weir was always talking about the Rangers, backing from the board and owner tremendous and he has a blank canvas. Always looking to add to the squad.

Apologies I can't paste the article.

A year ago, Mark Warburton was preparing Brentford for their first season in the second tier of English football for more than two decades.

Now, he is trying to lead Rangers back into the Scottish Premiership for the first time since 2012, when the record 54-time champions were dumped into the Third Division after the original club were liquidated.

The difference in the scale of the tasks is huge and Warburton is well aware that little patience will be shown if results do not go his way. In May, after being thrashed 6-1 on aggregate by Motherwell in the Championship play-off, Stuart McCall was sacked and he was Rangers third manager of the campaign.

ADVERTISING

The objective this season is very clear: get promotion, said Warburton, who signed a three-year contract. Rangers are a huge club and need to be in the top division, fighting for the major titles within the country. Our fans want us to be playing Celtic. That is the weight of expectation, we acknowledge that.

I want to see us play a brand of football which the supporters are excited by. As I always said at Brentford, I want to make sure that people go home and feel they have had value for money.

With that, he recalls a game last season. We were beaten 3-0 at home by Norwich but played extremely well. A completely wrong result, as Norwich said themselves. The players got an ovation and that stuck with me. If the fans enjoy watching the team, thats a big stride in the right direction.

Last night, Warburton was in the Ibrox dug-out for the first time as Rangers lost 1-0 against Burnley in front of a crowd of 22,000.

The fact the 52-year-old can still talk about bringing a touch of Griffin Park to Ibrox is a reflection of a manager who has always been very different.

In 2004, the former currency dealer gave up his job in the City to become a football coach. The confidence his City background gives him may explain why he was not fazed when Rangers came calling. It never entered my head that managing in Glasgow would be a problem, he says.

I am well aware of the magnitude of the task. But you have to relish that challenge. If you dont, you are in the wrong job.

Despite leading Brentford into the play-offs, he left after a disagreement with owner Matthew Benham over transfer policy. Assistant David Weir, a favourite at Rangers after winning three titles in five years as a player there, followed him to Ibrox.

Even when they were in west London, talk of the club on the south side of the River Clyde was never far away. David Weir is a legend of the club, says Warburton. He talked every single day about Glasgow Rangers. I believe Rangers took 350,000 fans to Manchester for the 2008 UEFA Cup Final and sold 600,000 shirts that year, second only to Manchester United. That shows the size of the fan base. So while its a challenge, it is also a fantastic opportunity for David and I.

His optimism has also increased because he has been given a blank canvas to paint on with 11 players released over the summer plus five loans returning to Newcastle. Four players have come in: Swindon goalkeeper Wes Foderingham, Wigan centre-half Rob Kiernan, former Liverpool defender Danny Wilson and the versatile Andy Halliday from Bradford.

The players we have bought are technically gifted, appropriate in terms of age, longevity and balance sheet value, he says. We have a very good competitive squad.

Well always look to add to the squad. The backing we have received from the owner and the board has been outstanding.

This seems a bold statement about a club whose ownership has had a chequered recent history. In March, a new board came in but it is still led by interim chairman Paul Murray with Dave King, head of the consortium, yet formally to take over. And the shadow of Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner, who has a nine per cent stake, hangs over the club.

The ownership question makes Warburton suddenly reticent. I make sure I keep my nose very much out of that side of it.

Stopped reading after it said the original club was liquidated, if they can't get the most basic facts correct then why read on?

Same here....stopped right there!!

F****** hate-filled bastards!

Never Forget Never Forgive

They've altered it online, at least.

Now, he is trying to lead Rangers back into the Scottish Premiership for the first time since 2012, when the record 54-time champions were dumped into the Third Division with Rangers oldco later liquidated.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-boss-mark-warburton-i-am-well-aware-of-the-size-of-the-task-i-relish-the-challenge-10407527.html

Stopped reading after it said the original club was liquidated, if they can't get the most basic facts correct then why read on?

its just the common perception. I am no longer really fussed about it unless its an obvious wind up by people who are trying to be malicious - I dont think thats the case here..

Now, he is trying to lead Rangers back into the Scottish Premiership for the first time since 2012, when the record 54-time champions were dumped into the Third Division after the original club were liquidated.

Seems pretty obvious our on going history is acknowledged very clearly, merely a slight error in terms. We shouldn't become "chippy" about this, its a battle long won.

Good positive piece about us.

Well spotted mate, perhaps W&W had a wee word and got it sorted out. :clap::clap::clap:

No matter how small the intended or not reference to our situation, it should not go unchallenged or it will be taken as being true, and will grow arms and legs once the darkiside get a grip of it.

Well done whoever took the time to point this out to the people involved and got it rectified, as our name is important and cannot be messed with, not even a little.

Online is all we need, as that is where most people are these days, so all round job done.

:uk: