Keeper's A Bombscare

Andy Forum

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with big Wes is he is all left footed so when the ball comes on to his right he starts to look awkward as he wants it on his left, this is what contributes to his distribution being poor at times.

But saying that I have yet to see him flap or drop a cross ball, he commands that part of the area very well, give the lad a chance, the time to criticise is when he costs us the match, on the evidence I have seen that will be a way bit off for now.

2 ways to look at it. We can go back the old turgid crap we had to endure while still.conceding crap goals, or carry on playing the way we are and accept the possible heart in mouth moment. I'll take the second option as it adds to the excitement of the game and actually makes me want us to beat scum like the hivs 1 nil after they fail to captilise on a simple mistake by our keeper

An accident waiting to happen. Makes Calamity Bell look decent.

Both him and Kiernan have failed to cut the mustard so far. A good side would have taken 5 off us today.

Thoughts.

Thoughts are you are a fud. Fuck up.

Both him and Kiernan have failed to cut the mustard so far. A good side would have taken 5 off us today.

Thoughts.

Totally disagree.

He could launch the ball everytime it's near him, and you'd be saying he was a great keeper given his catching of crosses, command of area and shot stopping.

He's been made to play a short passing game like an outfield player, so of course there will be miss placed passes. His passing completion rate is the highest in our side.

Think he'll be a great keeper for us in years to come once he's bedded in and our defence gets its act together.

I like big Wes,sure he has had a few scary moments but as understanding grows between him and the defence mistakes should become less and less of a common occurrence.

I think if we add Eustace to the team then he will be the out-ball the defence will look to pass to,he will hold the ball and release the runners and pick his pass.

Love how confident he is at coming for cross balls and his quick release of the ball afterwards will put teams under pressure.

The junkies keeper had a mistake I can only remember 1 mustake from wes of the top of my head, fair enough of you remwmber more, at the end og the day though the hibs keeper conceded 1 though ours didn't (thank fuck ?)

He is quite a high rated keeper down south though and tbh feel more comfortable with wes rather than bell.

I do agree though mate do think he needs to work on his distribution, but hopefully that will come with time, would much rather watch the football that is starting from the back rather than a punt up the pitch and the ball coming right back at us

As far as yesterday went, I thought Wes's only mistake was that one (in a similar fashion to the Hivs guy's).

Thinking about it overnight, it's possibly less to to with the actual distribution (as folk have pointed out, he did come up with some good balls), and more to do with his composure under pressure, when asked to handle the back passes.

The other parts of his game look better than we've had for a while & (just my opinion) I thought his 2 big saves were excellent.

Harsh as fuck.

In the air, he's been brilliant. His shot stopping has looked good, and to be honest his distribution isn't bad at all. He's given a few away but he's clearly been told to play it short the vast majority of the time, that'd probably cause most goalkeepers problems as normally it's just a punt up the pitch. His passing will improve, not that it's that bad.

Thoughts.

Thoughts? An odd question coming from someone that clearly doesn't have to mental faculties to process the responses. You are clearly an idiot and as such will be treated with scorn and derision until you prove otherwise.

Thoughts.Bollocks

I thought some of Foderingham's distribution was superb. Ok, he made a mistake in the 1st half but these things happen.

In the 2nd half when he collected from a cross and pinged a 70 yard pass onto Waghorn's stride on the right wing, that was an absolute peach.

Thought he was good yesterday and other than the one mistake, some good distribution.

I've noticed a few comments recently about him needing time to get used to playing it out from the back all the time. However in a recent interview he said:

"I try and help the boys by dealing with whatever comes into the box and hopefully when Im called upon Ill also be ready to make saves.

The gaffer also wants me to distribute the ball from the back and its the right way to play.

Ive come from a side who played like that for the past few seasons and it really does work.

Ive seen it and its bearing fruit with the amount of chances we are having at goal. The early signs are good and I hope we can keep that up."

So has he already been playing this style with Swindon?

He's commanding as fuck in the area. When a cross comes in he deals with it and looks straight away for the out ball to hit teams on the break. Has also made some decent saves, obviously he had that one slack pass in the first half but apart from that he's been a great keeper so far.

His passing isn't bad at all. People have seen maybe one or two go out the park and two go to the opposition but that's a fairly low ratio.

Honestly, I think the jitters are mostly just fans not used to us playing this way and get the urge to shout "Get rid of it FFS" (something I heard numerous times yesterday) and they transfer those jitters onto their judgement of the keeper.

Same people moaning about Wes playing from the back are the same people who moan about the way we played football under McCoist. We have played 6 games this year. It will take time to perfect for everyone especially the goalkeeper. Every time the ball is launched froward we lose possession. Time for the dinosaurs on here to waken up and move with the times. Big Wes has bags of potential if you ask me. Commands his area superbly and bar one slack pass was quality yesterday.

Reading through this thread it seems like the OP is not alone in his assessment, but seems to be the only one taking abuse for it.

Quite happy to give him time to improve, but he's 24 and yet still reminds me of an academy youth player who has just broken into the first team.

It's not like the errors he makes are from being put under pressure by the opposition. Alot of the time its just basic errors. If you had a defender passing a ball like that every week, and it is more or less every week, to a striker then you'd be fucking him left right and centre.

He seems like a good shot stopper, and deals with crosses well, but at a higher level, unless he improves and irons out these crazy mistakes, we will be slagging him to bits, luckily his errors haven't been punished as of yet.

He still is, in my mind, the weak link in our team. Thats not to say that he can't get better if he improves his footwork.