The Billy Boys

ElBufalo20

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is strange because I was actually thinking about this this morning.

I've never been involved in a packed Ibrox singing TBB (only got my season ticket 2012/13 season), although I was at the cup game against Them last season, and wondered if there was ever a chance of it coming back.

I remember the last time there was a thread on this the purists weren't enamored with the thought of taking the word "fenian" out as it basically would be pandering to the hordes (and I see where they are coming from) but surely not singing it at all is also pandering to them.

If keeping "fenian" in is going to cause too much bother (I personally would be out of a job if I got a criminal conviction) then if we were to sing TBB I do think there needs to be a better alternative than "big trophies" though, however, I don't know what that alternative could be.

The other alternative is to try and challenge the legislation which deems singing the word fenian a criminal offence (no laughing in the back).

Hullo Hullo we are the Billy Boys

Hullo Hullo youll know us by our noise

We follow Glasgow Rangers, our hearts are strong and true.

We are the people who support the boys in blue.

Original words from 1960s album!!!!

I remember hearing that every now and again on official songs.

I don't mind that actually. If we can't sing the "proper" version and alternative lyrics need sung then I think that's better than "big tropheez" (although I'm not actually sure that was ever a serious suggestion :D )

Big trophies was a pisstake.

Folk should just fucking sing the proper version thats always been sung. If the "ultras" had any bottle theyd take it upon themselves to bring it back. The only way to bring it back is if a large group starts singing it as an individual trying to start it has no chance, and it will need to start at away games because some will just refuse to sing it at Ibrox.

Or one of the groups should just agree on a word and sing that, rebel blood or celtic blood or whatever and sing it. One guy cant start singing it with new words because folk will just sing the normal version or not sing at all.

Big trophies was a pisstake. Folk should just fucking sing the proper version thats always been sung. If the "ultras" had any bottle theyd take it upon themselves to bring it back. The only way to bring it back is if a large group starts singing it as an individual trying to start it has no chance, and it will need to start at away games because some will just refuse to sing it at Ibrox. Or one of the groups should just agree on a word and sing that, rebel blood or celtic blood or whatever and sing it. One guy cant start singing it with new words because folk will just sing the normal version or not sing at all.

See, I don't know what to think about just singing the proper version.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I don't ever think the use of the word "fenian" was the problem. I think the fact that it was a proper anthem that got the whole fan base rocking was the issue, disguised behind the modern impenetrable, unquestionable concern about sectarianism.

If we changed the words so that they couldn't complain then we'd still have the anthem back, the crowd singing and there's nothing they could do about it.

Just in the same way that Simply the Best has been demonised. Fair enough there were additions but I'm sure if "F**k Buddha and Islamic State" were added nobody would complain.

I just think that in this day and age you just can't get away with anything and the nappy rippers are still trying to perpetuate the myth whenever they can that we're demon spawn because of certain songs. So if we take the "bad" words out of certain songs they'll just have to sit there and listen to us being the best fans with nothing to hide their complaint behind.

When I was a wean I used to think the words were "We'll never be defeated so surrender or you'll die" that wouldnt be too bad, but as ive said its never going to come back unless theres a group effort.

What word is that???? I don't remember the word Catholic or in any way shape or form the catholic religion even mentioned.

I know what the word means, not what they try and tell us it means.

I agree with what you're saying but we both know a fuss will always be kicked up

When I was a wean I used to think the words were "We'll never be defeated so surrender or you'll die" that wouldnt be too bad, but as ive said its never going to come back unless theres a group effort.

Aye, that's a decent alternative and is quite fitting given everything that's happened over the past couple of years.

I'd be on board with anything that wasn't too cheesy. I know there's a pretty solid argument that the word "fenian" has been bastardized but a lot of folk can't take the risk of a criminal charge because a judge won't agree with their argument about it.

Hullo, Hullo, we are the Rangers boys,

Hullo, Hullo, you'll know us by our noise,

We're really keen to see our team,

The cup is on its way,

For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys.

(From a Rangers album circa 1990)

Hullo, Hullo, we are the Rangers boys,

Hullo, Hullo, you'll know us by our noise,

We're really keen to see our team,

The cup is on its way,

For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys.

(From a Rangers album circa 1990)

I'm pretty sure there was a version the 9 in a row team sung on as well in the 90s that was different from this.

Shite right enough.

We just need to change that one word and we're good to go.

Forget it.

It's never gonna happen.

This country is at the mercy of t**gs, f*****s, and IRA apologists in positions of power and authority.

It's our own fault, we never fought back hard enough.

Whatever happened to No Surrender?

Unfortunately, on this one, we caved in.

Forget it.

It's never gonna happen.

This country is at the mercy of t**gs, f*****s, and IRA apologists in positions of power and authority.

It's our own fault, we never fought back hard enough.

Whatever happened to No Surrender?

Unfortunately, on this one, we caved in.

I'm no sure if your computer has automatically censored the words but if it hasn't you're a bit hypocritical complaining about us caving in when you won't even type the words on a forum.

No trying to be a dick I just don't think folk should be censoring words. It's one thing using the words to cause offense and a completely different thing just to use them IMO. Otherwise it'll end up like Harry Potter with folk not being able to say "Voldemort", although without any of the benefits of magic.