Nigel de Jong

gersfan

Now that the deal for Faubert is all but dead, I reckon it would be a great move to turn our interests to de Jong, who is actually a very similar type of player. 22 year old Dutch International (almost 20 caps), used to be a right back but mostly a midfielder now, he's a tough player not afraid to get stuck in and has pace to burn.

Never really settled in Germany and is apparently looking to leave, and with Hamburg supposedly keen to cut their wage bill he would also be a fair bit cheaper than Faubert - a couple of million would do it I reckon. Aston Villa are rumoured to be interested so he may want to go to the Premiership, but surely we would be a more attractive option than them?!

Think the wages would be a bit high.

His club Hamburg are keen to offload De Jong - their highest wage earner at around £40,000 a week -

Yeah he used to be a right back, has also played both defensive and attacking midfielder (and all effectively), but mostly plays right mid. He's a player I have admired since he was with Ajax, and really think he would be an amazing signing. Pity about the high wages, I suppose they would be a stumbling block. With Klos and Prso away we might have a bit more to play with, but 40k is a bit unrealistic.

So would his price tag.

Hmm.....not sure. They only paid a million for him, and I think he wants to leave and they want to move him on. I reckon £3M would get him no problem - half what Faubert went for, and he's just as good in my eyes.