Games At Ibrox

d_mcewan

This season almost every team that has come to ibrox (especially hibs & falkirk) have time wasted, which I get is part of the game that we have to overcome.

But to try and counter this, would it be possible to just double or triple the number of ball boys we have? Now im not saying this will get rid of it completely, but our team plays at its best at a higher tempo, and forcing the opposition to get on with it quicker would help this. I remember Alex McLeish doing it on the title decider against dumfermline and it worked well that day. Thoughts?

This season almost every team that has come to ibrox (especially hibs & falkirk) have time wasted, which I get is part of the game that we have to overcome.

But to try and counter this, would it be possible to just double or triple the number of ball boys we have? Now im not saying this will get rid of it completely, but our team plays at its best at a higher tempo, and forcing the opposition to get on with it quicker would help this. I remember Alex McLeish doing it on the title decider against dumfermline and it worked well that day. Thoughts?

yes i suggested this after the Falkirk game , dont give them the oppertunity to waste time .

I don't think it would really help, you see the problem is when the players are going to take the throw in,or take the goal kick or the walk to get subbed (I get some may be injured but those that aren't).

The best way to combat this is for rangers to go a goal or 2 up and then create pressure for the opposition.

The speed that Thomson took on Friday drastically changed post Waggys goal, it was almost instant.

and like Bombaybadboy said, the refs need to be stricter too.

Part of the game.

We play at an incredibly fast-paced tempo, and teams are basically chasing shadow's whilst playing us. They have to do whatever they can to try and slow the game down and save their energy and try and play at their own pace.

It's only going to keep happening, we just need to stay focued, keep imposing our style of play on teams, break them down and score more goals.

Don't know if its just me being a grumpy git but the ball boy/girls the last few seasons are terrible!

Just seem to walk about in pairs talking to each other then take an age to react when the ball is out.

Also they don't ever go for the ball if it's not past the electronic hoardings?

Yeah I get that its not going to slow down the opposition taking free kicks,throw ins etc too much, only giving them the ball back quicker. But for our own throw ins, corners etc, it could really quicken our play and not give the opposition a chance to catch their breath. Maybe im being too picky and looking for any inch to gain on the opposition but if it gives us an extra 3 minutes of actual playing time then it could make the difference in future.

Don't know if its just me being a grumpy git but the ball boy/girls the last few seasons are terrible!

Just seem to walk about in pairs talking to each other then take an age to react when the ball is out.

This. Its what made me think of the idea in the first place.

This. Its what made me think of the idea in the first place.

Does anyone know if they are even instructed on the role?

I'm sure in the past they came from one of the local schools and got to do it based on doing well in school, not sure if this is still the case?

Some of them look as if they can't be arsed being there!

The keeper swapping which side he takes a goalkick from is something that has always pissed me off. Surely it's meant to be like corners, what ever side of the goal it goes by is the side you take the kick from, not the keeper time wasting going to the side he's further away from.

It tends to be fairly obvious to a referee what team is actually time-wasting......(usually when they are winning or drawing)......................... and time is 'added on' appropriately..................

if the 'other' team gets in front....then the 'added on' time should be disregarded...

we were 2-1 up yesterday (late in the game)..................................why should QotS get more time to try and equalize??????

The Laws of the Game say that the Referee is the sole arbiter of time.................................................................................. blow up when 90mins are up if the time-wasting team are behind.

seems like common sense................................ so, will never happen

we were 2-1 up yesterday (late in the game)..................................why should QotS get more time to try and equalize??????

on sense................................ so, will never happen

We scored pretty much in extra time. At 89:34, at this point extra time as already been decided and usually added on.

Regardless, it'd be pretty shitty to cut a game short because of that. QotS could've equalized just like we could equalize in extra time.

The keeper swapping which side he takes a goalkick from is something that has always pissed me off. Surely it's meant to be like corners, what ever side of the goal it goes by is the side you take the kick from, not the keeper time wasting going to the side he's further away from.

Strangely enough it was changed to stop time wasting where the ball goes out past one post but is returned on to the pitch at the other post. It is supposed to allow the keeper to take the kick at the side where the ball is given to them but it's been turned into another time wasting tactic

Most of the time the time the Ref is the biggest time waster on the pitch, always stopping play while they write in their books, they have mic's any notes they have to make should be recorded, also think we should follow the rugby and have these decision played over the sound system.

Always love it when they do subs and they jog slower than they walk, keeper takes his time, all set plays are slow... but then magically scoot into fast forward motion when we score.

You'd expect teams to know better after yesterday from that tactic again. What goes around comes around.

You are correct; strolling along hands in pockets and often not even going for the ball.

It will be a health and safety thing that they can't jump over the electronic boards but you are spot on. Don't know if they are maybe a bit too young. I've been kinda annoyed at how slow they are getting the ball back for a few weeks and I noticed on an archive video that we used to use boys 4 or 5 years older

The ball boys weren't the issue. They were getting it back pretty sharp, but messing bout in other ways to waste time.

And yeah, they're clearly told not to jump the advertising barriers.

The ball boys aren't allowed to jump over the hoardings in case they get hurt mate. It's up to the players to collect the ball if its on the grass.

They will still fuck about, the keeper changes ends with his goal kicks and the players will drop the ball for someone else to come take a throw in.

We need a strong referee who will book the keeper etc early doors.

Teams are starting as early as the first half

Teams are doing it from the first minute mate,but it makes it all the sweeter when we finally put them to the sword and they start trying to rush things.

QOS sat in and time wasted the whole game on Saturday but when they had to come out at the end they actually looked a decent threat.