English Football Is Shite...

Overrated, self styled "best league in the world".

The amount of money paid by both Manchester clubs for the players on the park, the wages dished out, the ticket prices, the price of merchandise, the insane amounts of money paid by Sky, the subscription fees for sports channels and what are we treated to?

A turgid, scrappy absolutely drab 0-0 affair.

Not for the first time the "big games" have served up shite.

It's becoming a regular occurrence now.

The fans down there should revolt.

The amount of money paid by both Manchester clubs for the players on the park, the wages dished out, the ticket prices, the price of merchandise, the insane amounts of money paid by Sky, the subscription fees for sports channels and what are we treated to?

To be fair to the Liverpool fans they've been revolting for years.

It has been anything but 'turgid'. Why would anyone revolt when the only reason its 0-0 is the quality of the defending nothing close to 'scrappy'. Two well organised teams and a technically absorbing game.

It's hard to put your finger on it, why is the BPL so boring now?, it does have some of the best players in the world playing in it but most games have a much of a muchness about them now, I've loved watching football all my life especially the English league but this season I'm now getting to the stage where I'm only interested in watching the highlights as long stretches of the games are just both teams negating one another out.

The game is played at such a pace now that no one seems to be capable of putting their foot on the ball and directing play, its all done in a frenzy, and its showing up now in European competition where English teams are beginning to be left behind as it appears English teams are unable to adapt to a slower pace even when they are packed with foreign players, that part I find strange.

Another reason I believe it's becoming boring especially for older fans like myself is that the rules have gone way to far in favour of the so called protection of players, to me tackling is/was an art and I always enjoyed seeing a hard but fair tackle, but nowadays the cheating that goes on is pathetic with so called hard men going down like a ton of bricks at the slightest touch, shirts being pulled continuously, and don't get me started on what goes on in the 18yrd box at corners and free kicks, but I suppose that is the modern game for you now.

I'm just glad I was brought up in the sixties and forward and got to see football as it should be played, and BTW for the younger fans there were plenty skillful players back then when the tackles were flying in who could handle themselves, but even though the game has changed dramatically in my lifetime (for the worse IMO) I'll no doubt continue to watch because I need my fix.

It's like watching athlete robots when most of the top teams play now. There's no variety, no styles, few characters. They all play the same boring way. It's like all of the teams have been trained, and all of the players brought up in the same way for maximum efficiency.

Zzzzzz.

it has been a while since i can remember an EPL game that really has you talking for weeks (or more) after it. Teams are very good at cancelling one another out now and frankly some of the so called superstars are not really that and the real exceptional talent goes to Spain.

I remember keegans Newcastle - couldn't stop a hen going up a close, but they were extremely entertaining to watch.

Yeah I remember when Italian football was thought of as extremely boring in the 90s.

Defensively astute aye but with the amount of money paid by fans and clubs for "world class" talent I think it's expected that it should be a bit more exciting than what was served up yesterday.

I dunno maybe adding 0.5 points for every goals scored (as well as goal difference) might change things.

It's like teams just go out to stifle the game and not lose because the financial repercussions of not dining at the top table are too great a burden on clubs now.

Good thread.

I don't watch as much English football as I used to and now prefer the Championship TBH. It's far more entertaining than the EPL for many of the reasons discussed in here.

In short I believe the pursuit of money - and the imbalance created by SKY- in relation to those who have money to burn and those who don't - is ruining the game imo.

When clubs like Bournmouth/WBA make more money than Rangers there has to be something fundamentally wrong.

I better cancel my Sky then