Using Warburtons Favoured System

thebluedoo

Wattereus, decent keeper, excellent with ball at feet

Stevens and Numan fullbacks bjokerland for his pace and gough at cb.

Tough one for dcm, but I think for taking no shit Iain Ferguson.

Gazza and Trevor Steven the midfield maestros

Laudrup, Mols and Prso

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just trying to try something a wee bit different? Pretty sure we all have our own take on all time 11's but given M W has brought his own unique vision on how he wants the game played. Make no mistake leaving Cooper out was no easy task for me as he is my hero but in the Warburton style I saw him and Laudrup as being the 60 minute substitutions. It was more about fitting players into a system than a countdown all time favourite players.

Aye, I know. Nothing wrong with the thread, just saying mine would probs be the same.

Wattereus, decent keeper, excellent with ball at feet

Stevens and Numan fullbacks bjokerland for his pace and gough at cb.

Tough one for dcm, but I think for taking no shit Iain Ferguson.

Gazza and Trevor Steven the midfield maestros

Laudrup, Mols and Prso

I steared clear of our big strikers like Hateley, Prso, Boyd (first time) and Johnstone as I cant see M W going with that kind of frontman and our out and out goalscorers like McCoist and Jelavic. Whenever I hear the manager talking about formation it usual centres on him using number rather than positions like when he says a certain player can play 9,10 or 11

But its all a bit of fun anyway :thumbup:

I steared clear of our big strikers like Hateley, Prso, Boyd (first time) and Johnstone as I cant see M W going with that kind of frontman and our out and out goalscorers like McCoist and Jelavic. Whenever I hear the manager talking about formation it usual centres on him using number rather than positions like when he says a certain player can play 9,10 or 11

But its all a bit of fun anyway :thumbup:

Prso was excellent with the ball at his feet and was an unselfish player and could play across all 3 forward positions.

goram

Robertson Gough Amoruso Numan

Souness Ricksen

Walters Gascoigne Laudrup

McCoist

tough choices to be made, I could swap gio for ricksen and hateley for mccoist. I was also thinking deboer for gazza but on hisday gazza was simply unplayable.

--impres------------------------Charbonnier

Hutton,---------- Amoruso,----- Bjorkland,------------Numan

-----------Reyna,------- B Ferguson,------- Albertz

---------Mols,-------------- Prso,-----------------De Boer

OP's question is a good one because while there is an abundance of quality players just in my lifetime (86 onwards) it's tricky to think who would be best in such a system.

I went for Charbonnier because at the beginning he made cat like saves and he strikes me as someone who would come for the ball on the deck or as a cross, not sure Goram or Klos were a sweeper keeper type while both at their peak would beat Charbonnier into other set ups.

Hutton is a shock inclusion but when I try to think of right-backs that bomb forward I think at his peak he's probably the best we've had of that sort, maybe in my early childhood there was someone better but I can't remember them playing, Porrini is a better right back and would be my choice but did he bomb forward like Tav or Hutton? This system demands it. I'd rather have Porrini but the system throws up surprise inclusions and I'll run with it.

Amoruso was everywhere and was both a top solid CB and a heid the ball type that could get you a goal, he would be superb for getting on the end of corners right now as we lack heid-the-baw types. He'd have the odd Mohsni moment but then he played in a similar style of team under Advocaat so his moments wouldn't be anymore frequent than they were and I'd argue he'd mop up some amount of dangerous breaks while outnumbered in this system.

Bjorkland gets the nod because I think he's be a good mix of passing and defending as would suit this formation and style, Gough/Moore/Cuellar/Weir/Boumsong would all have their obvious positives but for this system the man who played with Valencia at their peak would be a good inclusion.

Numan gets the nod because Van Bronkhorst was a midfielder for us and I'm not sure he'd have done the job to the standard while being better than Numan going forward (arguable).

Reyna would be a solid all rounder for a position that ideally should have it, we're a bit light in midfield and I think it shows, Reyna would plug that deficiency in a way most others couldn't as he also had the passing and drive going forward in his locker.

Barry Ferguson may have tainted his reputation with our support but prior to injuries he was playing against the world's best in Europe and not looking out of place as a young player, he was box to box, everything went through him and he surged forward with purpose (PRIOR to injuries), he's perfect for this set up even if you could put others in there just to exclude him.

Albertz, think of the free kicks and strikes, some of his link up play and late runs were superb, perfect for the role but could easily be swapped for Van Bronkhorst.

Mols could be Laudrup but for this system Mols has to be given the nod surely, Mols would turn people inside out and frankly he was bullying the worlds best in a similar role, Laudrup's speed was phenomenal but did he quite twist and turn with the ball at his feet like Mols could? I think Laudrup made space his own but he'd find plenty of walls in our present system and Mols would unlock them easier i think.

Prso - Could be Hately but I as my memories of the latter are hazy I know Prso would give us and all rounder with the heading attribute we currently lack, big and physical I think he'd just pip Hately for this slot although perhaps if i could remember him better he'd reverse that opinion - I do remember he had a head on him.

De Boer might surprise but there was a season where he was left-forward just in front of our strikers and he was evil at it despite his age, you could easily put Lovenkrands in there perhaps to complement Laudrup on the other side but I'd consider swapping De Boer for Buffel - his link up/invention/passing at it's best would be mesmeric in this formatioen/system.

The bench could be dozens of players frankly and I suppose I'd include alternative approaches who could play the same role, i.e instead of Mols on the bench we have Laudrup or perhaps we have Johansson or Wallace (pacy nippy types) instead of Prso, Negri couldn't be discounted. I don't however really want to do a bench as then I really would be leaving people out that were top players for us and who could work in our current system. Better to leave open the possibility that they all could be on the bench even if that would still be insulting to some of them - Porrini would through a fit at being dropped for Hutton.

A very detailed response, thanks for that

Might be showing my age with Stevens but he made a big Impression on me and he certainly bombed forward often enough but I take your point re Hutton. Gio I had at left back as when he played there for Barca he was excellent was tough leaving Numan and Robertson out but felt Gio just nosed it. Amo I had in for his solid defensive strength and leadership, Boumsong was certainly a ball playing centre back as I remember. Trying to fit players into the midfield and forward positions using M W style and not Rangers legendary status was really hard but I think I would be happy with it. Hard to judge on the GK as a cant remember a time before where the keeper was ever encouraged to keep the ball on the deck so much.

Players from our past that could deliver in todays line up.my starting 11 & subs

Klos (great shot stopper and good distribution)

Gio Van B Amouruso Boumsong Stevens

Albertz McCall Durrant

Laudrup Mols Novo

Subs: Cooper, Ferguson, Davis, Lovenkrandz, Cueller and DeBoar

Wee bit of fun :thumbup:

Albertz on the right of midfield and Durrant on the left? Gio on the right of defence and Stevens on the left?

Is that you Ally?

That i've seen..

Goram

Stevens

Gough

Butcher

Numan

Souness

Gazza

Albertz

Laudrup

Mols

Cooper

Sometimes you just hate people for being privileged enough to see some of our greats in action.

You are on the list for Davie Cooper but those who are lucky enough to have seen the likes of Baxter Jardine etc as well are way out in front

Sometimes you just hate people for being privileged enough to see some of our greats in action.

You are on the list for Davie Cooper but those who are lucky enough to have seen the likes of Baxter Jardine etc as well are way out in front

Thing is mate, if i asked my old man he'd probably have a different 11 again..

Baxter,Jardine,Henderson,Mcmillan etc