Our Cbs

Jasper Blues

I have to say that,considering SDofW was an outstanding CB and is now our assistant manager, I am shocked that we don't defend set pieces better. The 2nd goal today was certainly a goalie error but none of our CBs attacked the ball, which is their job after all.

Our CBs also don't score goals either from corners or free kicks. I know we often take short corners but we still don't seem to win our fair share of balls in the opposition box. 12 games in and none of our CBs have scored.

I think we need a bigger, more aggressive, ball-winning animal CB. It's all very well playing the ball out from the back but we need to stop losing these schoolboy goals. A combination of 1 player and 1 animal at the back would be my choice, not 2 players (or 2 animals for that matter).

Yes that's the kind of CB I mean.

Won't lose a ball in the air and also be a weapon when we get a corner/free kick.

Amo, Boogie, Weir, Gough, Butcher all spring to mind.

All the CBs you mention were good if not great defenders. However, if my memory serves me correct, they all lost their fair share of goals even in the air.

I have to say that,considering SDofW was an outstanding CB and is now our assistant manager, I am shocked that we don't defend set pieces better. The 2nd goal today was certainly a goalie error but none of our CBs attacked the ball, which is their job after all.

Our CBs also don't score goals either from corners or free kicks. I know we often take short corners but we still don't seem to win our fair share of balls in the opposition box. 12 games in and none of our CBs have scored.

I think we need a bigger, more aggressive, ball-winning animal CB. It's all very well playing the ball out from the back but we need to stop losing these schoolboy goals. A combination of 1 player and 1 animal at the back would be my choice, not 2 players (or 2 animals for that matter).

You are right, but I can't blame DW. We were limited in who we could get and what we are seeing is the best of out of their limited capability. I remember Hateley saying he liked his football meat and two veg, well we have some way to go for that, but it will also mean different players.

I agree that Kiernan and Ball are good and that they will get better, I just want someone who is more dominating.

Our CBs are exposed by the way we play and we'll lose goals because of that (the price for open attacking football) but I am concerned when we lose goals direct from corners/free kicks.