**** Official Rangers V Morton Match Thread ****

Tavernier was hardly that bad, he set up the first goal and was constantly looking to get involved and make runs down the wing.

People are talking as though he's just thought "fuck it, I can't be arsed anymore"

Going forward he's fine, the thing that fucks me off is when we lose possession in the final third he decides it's up to the rest of the team to handle the break and jogs back in a trance.

How many times did Mortons attacks come down his side? He is a liability defensively right now and with there being no one to challenge him for a place at RB he can get away with it.

If we weren't so grateful just to still be here and not have Ally as manager, we'd have asked what the script is long before this.

You can see what we're trying to do but is it getting any better OR is it even an improvement on what we started the season doing? Then you think about when we go a goal down and suddenly spark into life and have drive/impetus that we needed for all of our previous 75% possession every game.

You could have a go at one or two players for not being good enough but at what point do you ask why the manager hasn't seemed to have addressed what we perceive to be issues every week?!

• Midfield get the ball and allow the entire opposition to get back onto their 18 yard line while they piss it about at walking-pace before eventually losing it.
  • We have 3 up front but you'd never know it.
  • For all the time we're outnumbered up front it stretches belief that we are then 1v1 or outnumbered in defense (even if we know that being defensively suspect is part of the "plan").
  • Whole team is off the pace YET as soon as we lose a goal and are in the shit up to our necks they all suddenly start playing at the pace they should have been all game.

No one is saying panic but surely the 4 bullet points are fair?!

I do think we'd be better with Law in the team but none the less it generally looks like we've regressed or found a rut that we seem unwilling to get out of.

All fair points I'd agree with, the point in bold re. our forward three I think the problem is if we have McKay wide left and Waghorn wide right the first thing they look to do is cut back on their stronger foot. If you add Miller into the mix with his tendency to drop into the 'hole' looking for the ball, then all three forward players are essentially clogging up the centre of the pitch where our narrow three man midfield are already struggling to find a yard of space. This may be deliberate to try and create space for the full backs, but our build up is so pedestrian that any space created is covered by the time the ball gets out wide and essentially they're running into a brick wall, losing possession and then we're one long ball away from conceding a gilt-edged chance.

Its no coincidence that our equaliser today came from raising the tempo with Waghorn being in the box where he should be, I would like to see him down the middle, with our two wide forwards playing on their naturally stronger side to try and stretch the opposition defence and at least try to create some gaps to exploit.

I can certainly see a case for - 'We are sticking to the style that we intend to play going forward and while it's turgid just now, when the new faces come in it'll come together easier than if we chopped and changed it just now'.

The problem is - does that wash? Would it kill us to say 4-4-2, Tav you're having a break today, break at pace and create the chance before 9 of them are in their 18 yard box, etc etc?

If we're entirely dependent on players ability then King better find people willing to give him a lot of money and if we're dependent on the manager's ability then he's going to have to show he's got the ability to make plan-A work or make plan-B different to plan-A.

The spark just hasn't been there and considering we need to see massive CONTINUAL improvement if we are to catch the jungles in the next few years, it's concerning.

your views are pretty similar to mine.If the players arent good enough to play his system then we need to recruit ones who are. Personally I think we will need to recruit a lot of players in the next 12 to 18 months.

Absolutely stinking.

We have struggled in a lot more games than people think.

Overall we are still doing well but this team should be well gelled and finishing these teams off by now.

Big chance missed with Hibs dropping points today too.

We need a couple of bits of quality in Jan to be assured of this title IMO

Hope people aren't panicking and turning on the manager as you can still see the improvement but people are asking questions and rightly so.

Shocking performance and lucky to get a point and a missed opportunity with Hibs dropping points today. The only time we raised the tempo out of desperation to equalise and we score easily.

I know Warburton keeps stating that he likes a small squad but its blatently obvious we need to strengthen in January to make sure we win this league.

Having watched that today I would agree with your post, especially the bold part. It was also a cross from the bye line that made the goal, no idea why our wingers normally come inside rather than go on the outside, very frustrating.

We certainly need a couple of players in the January window.

Going forward he's fine, the thing that fucks me off is when we lose possession in the final third he decides it's up to the rest of the team to handle the break and jogs back in a trance.

How many times did Mortons attacks come down his side? He is a liability defensively right now and with there being no one to challenge him for a place at RB he can get away with it.

The biggest problem for Tavernier at the moment is he has to do it all himself on the right hand side. Wallace on the left has McKay who covers for him when he goes forward and actually helps him defensively. Tavernier doesn't have that and when he attacks and we lose the ball he is left exposed. We need a defensive midfielder who actually knows the position well and we need a right forward/winger who is going to help out defensively on the right side when Tav goes ahead of him instead of shoehorning Waghorn into this position.

EDIT

I'd actually like to see Halliday moved to the left side and move McKay right and trying out Thompson as defensive mid. That way both full backs would have someone who will cover and someone who is natural in that wide role.

Personally I think the whole team is off the boil at the moment . Think they are getting a lot of stick from fans , look what our team has come through ppl need to stop talking about next season it's one step at a time . So let's get off there back actully show a bit of support to the team , with the second goal the team change the tempo with the help from the fans that noise would help anybody .

Personally I think the whole team is off the boil at the moment . Think they are getting a lot of stick from fans , look what our team has come through ppl need to stop talking about next season it's one step at a time . So let's get off there back actully show a bit of support to the team , with the second goal the team change the tempo with the help from the fans that noise would help anybody .

Which is what? what has this team came through exactly?

no doubt I will get a roasting for this but I thought Nicky Clark was quite effective when he came on. At this stage in their careers, he is a better player than Miller. I do hope we sign a striker in January however.

He was invisible like he always is, and anytime he does grab your attention its because he has the touch of an elephant wearing lead boots.

McLaren summed it up perfectly when he said the pitch is wider than the 18yard box. Too many tippy tappy passes through the middle.

Too much indecision on a final ball and its easy defending for a team sitting in. Its all very well for Warbs philosophy to be attack attack attack - we'll score more than the opposition but when its not working we're easy meat for a counterattack.