George Was A Rangers Man, From East Belfast

centenarystand

With McMurdo revealing Rangers director Jack Gillespie had once opposed a potential move to Ibrox, Best's Scottish adventure was limited to 22 games for Hibs.

"George was a Rangers man, from east Belfast, so if he had one regret it was that he didn't play for Rangers," is how McMurdo tells it.

Bill McMurdo Snr on the BBC.

Didnt realise George was an actual Rangers man. What a crowd puller that would have been, that 1980 cup final as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With McMurdo revealing Rangers director Jack Gillespie had once opposed a potential move to Ibrox, Best's Scottish adventure was limited to 22 games for Hibs.

"George was a Rangers man, from east Belfast, so if he had one regret it was that he didn't play for Rangers," is how McMurdo tells it.

Didnt realise George was an actual Rangers man. What a crowd puller that would have been, that 1980 cup final as well.

Didnt realise George was an actual Rangers man. What a crowd puller that would have been, that 1980 cup final as

I'm not sure how true that is tbh.

I know he was always for the north and south having one joined international team. Never heard anything about him supporting us in my life

Aye you'll be telling us next he never mentioned throwing bottles at catholics on national TV? Really?

He is the greatest footballer Europe has ever produced ,he to my knowledge never stated he followed us in any of the interviews he gave over the years. George Best did not give a shit about religion that is why he was/is idolised as much on the Falls Road as he is on the Newtownards Road.

He is the greatest footballer Europe has ever produced ,he to my knowledge never stated he followed us in any of the interviews he gave over the years. George Best did not give a shit about religion that is why he was/is idolised as much on the Falls Road as he is on the Newtownards Road.

Did he not say something about if he wasn't playing football he would be throwing stones at catholics?I've heard quite a few times he said it.

Did he not say something about if he wasn't playing football he would be throwing stones at catholics?I've heard quite a few times he said it.

Yeah he did ,but it was said in a way of ...thank fuck through football I was able to get out of Belfast and all the shit going on or that is what he would have ended up doing.

He did play for us. Good quiz question this.

He played for us and the tims in the first half of the benefit game for the Ibrox disaster fund. He played first half for a Rangers/Celtic select against a Scotland select and second half for the Scotland select.IIRC Bobby Charlton guested for Scotland that night as well.