Boydie On Fitness, Naismith And The New Arrivals

Davy

By Graeme Macpherson

KRIS BOYD believes he is fitter than ever ahead of the new season.

The striker, speaking to promote Setanta's coverage of the forthcoming Clydesdale Bank Premier League campaign, has revealed how he put himself through a rigorous fitness programme over the summer to keep himself in shape.

And he feels all his hard work should make him sharper than ever when play gets underway for real at the end of the month.

He said: "We're all back in now and the fitness levels are good so we're all looking forward to the games starting now.

"It was a short break but I looked after myself over the summer. I feel that I've come back in good shape and am ready to go for the new season.

"We want to show now that we're good enough to go on and win cups and trophies next season. If we can keep the form going that we showed at the end of last season we won't be far away."

Rangers continue to be linked with a move for Steven Naismith and Boyd hopes a deal can be concluded soon to bring his former Kilmarnock team-mate to Ibrox.

He added: "It's up to the two clubs to agree a fee as I could go on and on about him all day long.

"It seems similar to when I moved here as it always gets dragged out. I'm sure something will get sorted out in the near future.

"He started training with Kilmarnock yesterday and it's probably better that way as it will take his mind off things.

"He's shown over the last few years what he can do. He's picked up awards, he's young and he's shown what a great player he is.

"He would be a great addition to the Rangers squad."

Four of Rangers' five summer signings so far have been snapped up on free transfers but Boyd reckons you have to judge each player by their abilities, not the price tag.

He said: "The players we've brought in may have been free transfers but these guys have a value as well.

"We've managed to pull somebody from the Champions League in (Jean Claude) Darcheville. His price would have been a lot higher if he hadn't been out of contract.

"Whenever you say a player is £3m or £4m it's always the case you expect someone better but people forget there have been players with big prices who haven't done it before.

"But we've brought in a few players who have strengthened our squad and we're looking forward to next season."