Rangers Confirm Pre-Contract Signings Of Crooks & Windass.

Don't know why there's so much sceptism on these guys. Who were you expecting to sign? A midfielder from the premier league to scudge about the mighty Scottish premier division?. You need to realise where Scottish football is at and league one in England is about as good as it gets for Scotland's top division. Look at delle Ali at Spurs from nowhere to scoring v France for England

Don't know why there's so much sceptism on these guys. Who were you expecting to sign? A midfielder from the premier league to scudge about the mighty Scottish premier division?. You need to realise where Scottish football is at and league one in England is about as good as it gets for Scotland's top division. Look at delle Ali at Spurs from nowhere to scoring v France for England

I'd say most people are pretty excited about these potential signings tbh. It'll be the idiots with no concept of football outside Rangers that aren't impressed and will be wondering why we aren't resigning Stevie Naismith

Plymouth, Northampton, Oxford and Pompey would beat 10 of the 12 teams in the SPL with ease IMO.

That made me laugh. Although there is no way to prove it either way it's quite a statement to make, hypothetical as it is.

As for the 2 players, hopefully they would do us proud but it's a massive jump playing for Accrington Stanley then going to Rangers.

Dare I say as well, if the boys were that good an EPL or championship side would take a punt even ar the risk of losing a few million.

I'd say most people are pretty excited about these potential signings tbh. It'll be the idiots with no concept of football outside Rangers that aren't impressed and will be wondering why we aren't resigning Stevie Naismith

your right, I just can't see who they expect us to sign. Fulham and Bristol city have more financial clout than anyone in Scotland. We are a buy low and sell high club and being a big club won't change that

That made me laugh. Although there is no way to prove it either way it's quite a statement to make, hypothetical as it is.

As for the 2 players, hopefully they would do us proud but it's a massive jump playing for Accrington Stanley then going to Rangers.

Dare I say as well, if the boys were that good an EPL or championship side would take a punt even ar the risk of losing a few million.

true but they also make mistakes. Ferguson let a young pogba go to juve whilst re signing Paul scholes.

There's obviously some teams in league 1 or 2 who could compete in top of Scotland, but having watched the highlights of the football league and also speaking to a couple of friends down south, they compare some football to the 3rd division here. Scrappy, hoof, hard tackles, shite football.

Finding promising players who play in those shite divisions is what we should be doing.....for now!

Kiernans not very good his passing not good his reading of the games not good Tavs been hot and cold, Wilson never been good any time i've seen him, he does think he's good though.

The system works if we have better defenders.

Rubbish. Look at Barcelona, they play the same system and they've got world class defenders worth tens of millions of pounds and their defenders get the same criticisms. Alves one of the best right backs in the world, gets criticised for being too attacking and leaving his centre backs exposed. And Pique, Mascherano, Puyol, Mathieu etc in the times that they have played for Barcelona have had varying degrees of criticism for their defending, as has the defensive unit of Barcelona. The system they play leaves them exposed at times like this, but their manager feels the attacking threat this gives them is worth it. Personally, I'm really pleased with Kiernan and Tav. I'm unsure of Wilson at the moment, but he doesn't become a bad player overnight.

MW is obviously bringing these players in for the potential he sees in them. I'm reading a lot of posts from guys saying because there from Accrington there rubbish or on the other end of the scale that league 2 is as good as some of the spl. I have to disagree with both really as there are some players in league 2 better than some in spl and some that aren't! These 2 lads are probably amongst the best in that league and are still young and to develop so I for one would be excited to see these lads play in the team.

I have to say as well tho that we need to buy a couple seasoned players that are going to cost a few mil at least if we want too challenge next year!

There will alot more cracking players in the League 1 and 2 dele alli was playing for mk Dons this time last year and now he's playing and scoring for Spurs and England plenty more where he came from

There will alot more cracking players in the League 1 and 2 dele alli was playing for mk Dons this time last year and now he's playing and scoring for Spurs and England plenty more where he came from

The lower league is full of players released from.all the big clubs. It's why IMO Warburton has taken the chance on Forrester. He had a huge future then lost his way.

I think it was Dwight Gayle who arsenal released. He dropped all the way down then Peterborough etc took a chance on him.

The leagues are rife with it. I seen Exeter on TV int the fa cup and the amount of players they had that were ex arsenal, Derby etc was pretty eye opening

Big clubs have money so these boys would need to be hugely exceptional to make a breakthrough at premiership/championship level. It's why a lot of them drop down the leagues

RANGERS could land Accrington Stanley pair Josh Windass and Matt Crooks this month rather than in the summer after the League Two club’s new owner expressed his frustration at the prospect of losing them for next to nothing come the end of the season. Andy Holt, who became Accrington’s majority shareholder at the end of last year, confirmed the Ibrox club have been in talks with striker Windass, the son of former Aberdeen forward Dean, and defensive midfielder Crooks with a view to the pair signing pre-contract arrangements. Accrington do not wish to sell either of the 21 year-olds in January as they push for promotion but, faced with the possibility of losing them in the summer for a reduced cross-border compensation fee, Holt revealed the club may have to rethink their stance and listen to offers this month. “We are investing in young players so I don’t like the rule that says they can effectively move on for free if they go north of the border,” he told Herald Sport. “If you grow a tree and spend money on it then when it becomes a bigger tree you get more money for it. And that’s how it should be with football players too.

“It’s possible the two boys have had their heads turned but I wouldn’t have a problem with that if that were the case. I wouldn’t want to stand in their way of having a future as they are good lads, as are the rest of the squad. But I don’t think we as a club should lose out as a result after all our efforts in bringing them on.

“Our intention is to go for promotion this season so we want to keep our squad together this month if we can. But obviously these kind of things [the possibility of losing them for a reduced sum] you’ve got to bring into the mix. That’s something we might need to think about. Rangers haven’t been in touch with me personally about signing the players this month although I daresay that could yet change.

“Compensation should be for the players who don’t succeed as well as for the ones who do. It’s to cover the costs of developing young players whether they make it or not. And so it doesn’t seem right to me that after you do that a Scottish club can come and take them for next to nothing. I haven’t given up hope on the two boys signing new deals here but I’ll respect whatever they decide to go. I did well in my life and so I wouldn’t want to stand in the way of others doing the same.”

Share article

Holt also expressed his disappointment at the way in which Rangers had communicated with Accrington that they would be opening talks with their players.

“The way Rangers have gone about things has annoyed me a bit,” he added. “Instead of coming through me or our manager John Coleman they just sent an email to our secretary and that’s not the norm. I thought they might have called one of us, or even our chairman Peter Marsden and told us their intentions. In normal circumstances a manager would ring his fellow manager to say what was going on so that was a bit disappointing.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14181344.Rangers_could_land_Accrington_duo_this_month_rather_than_in_the_summer/

rubbish

How come?

The SPL is League 1/2 standard. Look at the amount of players from they leagues who come up here and shine. Storey for Inverness the latest, scored 2 goals in 18 apps for Newport County last year and has arguably been ICT's best player this season with 8 or so goals already.

Did they though?

Just seems to me like maybe there should be some cross borders tribunal or something to award cash to the developing club, if they've been involved in their development. Of course, if they haven't really been involved in their development as youngsters, that would be different. Can't say I know much about their histories. Or much about them at all for that matter.

The same thing could end up happening to us.

Accrington will get training compensation if they offer them a new deal of at least equal termsto what they are on now, in writing, 60 days before their contract expires.

They won't get much as one has only been there just under a year and he other has been there two and a bit years. Huddersfield Town and Man United will also be due something.

How come?

The SPL is League 1/2 standard. Look at the amount of players from they leagues who come up here and shine. Storey for Inverness the latest, scored 2 goals in 18 apps for Newport County last year and has arguably been ICT's best player this season with 8 or so goals already.

Gary Warren is a solid CB for Inverness, 4/5 years ago he was my part-time P.E teacher.

I imagine the brave "journos" up here will have asked some very precise questions of the owner there to get that reaction.

He'd tagged an English journo who covers the football league in his tweets. Doesn't look like it's been anything to do with any Scottish journos.

He's trying to drum up some interest, either for an immediate transfer or from an English club where he won't be lost for free.

Kane Hemmings is scoring for fun in the Premiership with Dundee but toiled at Barnsley in League One...

To be fair it is quite difficult to compare Scottish and English football, Boyd was a machine here but failed there. Then you have guys like Eoin Doyle and Daryl Murphy that was shite here but doing decent there.

Disagree, very similar standard, not much in it at all, personally i think the lower leagues in england are grossly overrated, you ever watch that football league show....? 80% of goals are a lump into the box, 2 attempts to clear, bounce of someones arse and slide tackled over the line.

The Spl is shit, don't get me wrong. But it's a bloody tough league, you don't need to look to hard to find a load of players, and managers (LeGuen) that have underestimated it.

Even our own Mark Warburton can be accused of underestimating it.