*** Official Betting Thread ***

Creampuff

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jamie29 said:

Can anyone give a brief explanation about 'the weights' in horse racing?

In a handicap race horse number 1 is technically the highest rated so carries biggest weight. There can be more than one top weight if three or four are rated the same. It then filters down. But a small example would be a 0-120 rated handicap. Horse 1 is rated 117 and carries 12stone. Horse 2 is rated 110 which is 7lbs less than horse 1 so would carry 11 stone 7

if a horse has won a group/grade 1 race then they carry a penalty if they run in a group/grade 2 or 3. 

It's quite complicated Though as you get weight for age allowances etc. Above is a very basic explanation of it. I'd read into it if you're going to take it up though

18 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

In a handicap race horse number 1 is technically the highest rated so carries biggest weight. There can be more than one top weight if three or four are rated the same. It then filters down. But a small example would be a 0-120 rated handicap. Horse 1 is rated 117 and carries 12stone. Horse 2 is rated 110 which is 7lbs less than horse 1 so would carry 11 stone 7

if a horse has won a group/grade 1 race then they carry a penalty if they run in a group/grade 2 or 3. 

It's quite complicated Though as you get weight for age allowances etc. Above is a very basic explanation of it. I'd read into it if you're going to take it up though

Jockeys also have claimers if they are an apprentice, so sometimes you will see one with 7lb allowance on a horse that has been penalised with a 7lb rise.

A know you know that am just quoting you as you pretty much covered it 

30 minutes ago, Jamie29 said:

Can anyone give a brief explanation about 'the weights' in horse racing?

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Guide-to-Handicapping.pdf

That's quite useful for handicaps. It's obviously different for group and listed races, maiden, stakes races and also novice and beginner races over jumps  where there's no handicapping as such.

But it's a good place to start.

Thanks everyone will have a good look at that guide tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Guide-to-Handicapping.pdf

That's quite useful for handicaps. It's obviously different for group and listed races, stakes races and also novice and beginner races over jumps  where there's no handicapping as such.

But it's a good place to start.

22 minutes ago, The Ghost said:

Really unlucky with that one. They should have scored to make it 1 - 1. Good shout on the bet!

I'm normally pretty decent with correct scores, 

If I done it with coral or Ladbrokes I'd have got a cash out on it. 

Will learn from that one