*** The Official Morton Vs Rangers Match Thread ***

GlasgowsBlue

I do not think Morton's got a snowball's chance in hell against us, but saying that they're not going to park the bus tells me that's exactly what they'll do, so I'll revise my prediction to 2-0 for us, hoping I'm wrong in my assumptions.

3 hours ago, Callum_rfc said:

Where's everyone parking?

first time at the cappielow and don't know where to park. 

I'm not sure about streets just off the stadium, it's not exactly a nice place lol. 

But there is a mcdonalds/premier Inn car park a couple of minutes walk one side and a big B&Q  tesco extra car park about 5 minutes walk the other side. Both just off the main road you'll drive and easy to spot.

12 hours ago, broomloan blue nose said:

Morton say they not going to park the bus.we will see.if they try to play, Rangers will destroy them. If morton do defend I think we will still take at least 4, if they open up and try to play it could be double figures.

I can't see Jim Duffy "parking the bus" because in the 2-2 draw with us at Ibrox, Morton had 39% possession and 7 shots as compared to Hibs 41% and 5 shots at Ibrox. Even in the last game we played at Cappielow and won 4-0, Morton had 33% of possession and 10 shots against us, which again is comparable  to Hibs with 11 shots against us at Easter Road.

If we look at possession stats as "parking the bus" then every team in this league does it against us and while there's no doubt that we will have Morton chasing the ball and defending like mad, if we push too high they will try and hit us on the break as they did at Ibrox.

I expect us to be more clinical tonight and win with ease,but Morton will make us work for it.

6 hours ago, superally07 said:

I'm not sure about streets just off the stadium, it's not exactly a nice place lol. 

But there is a mcdonalds/premier Inn car park a couple of minutes walk one side and a big B&Q  tesco extra car park about 5 minutes walk the other side. Both just off the main road you'll drive and easy to spot.

The bq is in the Port. Must be a good 20 -30 minute walk. If you're brining a car you'll need to be well early to get a parking space.  The best place would be right across the road from Cappielow by the water. 

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

I can't see Jim Duffy "parking the bus" because in the 2-2 draw with us at Ibrox, Morton had 39% possession and 7 shots as compared to Hibs 41% and 5 shots at Ibrox. Even in the last game we played at Cappielow and won 4-0, Morton had 33% of possession and 10 shots against us, which again is comparable  to Hibs with 11 shots against us at Easter Road.

If we look at possession stats as "parking the bus" then every team in this league does it against us and while there's no doubt that we will have Morton chasing the ball and defending like mad, if we push too high they will try and hit us on the break as they did at Ibrox.

I expect us to be more clinical tonight and win with ease,but Morton will make us work for it.

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

A sensible post from you as usual OZblue. I thought Morton at Ibrox played very well and were one of the best opponents I've seen at Ibrox this season. They came with a game plan which was we can't sit in cause we'll get slaughtered, we'll get forward quickly at every opportunity. They were not lucky to get a draw. Duffy will have them well organised and well drilled...we need to take our chances. I can't see this being a walk over. Honestly, I'd rather be facing Hibs at Easter Rd...I'd be a lot more confident of full points.

parking shouldnt be too bad. Either across from the stadium or along the road at Pottery St you should get parked, also theres a wee community centre behind the stadium under the wee bridge but will probably be full. As some have said the area around the ground is a bit of a shit hole but unless youre drawing attention to yourself getting out the car there shouldnt be anything to worry about. Me and my brother were kicking about the QB for about an hour or so with our carryout before the last game and were both wearing colours and didnt get any bother. Greenocks got plenty tarriers but its a pretty mixed area tbh.

22 minutes ago, Ardrossan Dave said:

That game at Ibrox was the only one we dropped points in where I thought we didn't deserve to win and I was disappointed in our performance. We didn't deserve to drop points against Hibs,Falkirk or Livingston as we didn't get the rewards our play warranted, but Duffy had his team stick to their plan and deserved at least a point. We will need to play a fast tempo tonight and be on form all over the park to keep Morton pushed back and make sure we are tight at the back and alert if they hit us on the break. I'm confident we will be up for it.

45 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Rangers to win both halves along with a Burnley win tonight is 6/1 :D 

Burnley and Rangers handicap results (-1 and -2) returns 12/1. Fancy a small fortune on that.

I reckon we're on for a 4-0 or 4-1 tonight. Same starting line-up as last time out would do nicely.

16 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Don't know what happened to the quote - this new format is a right clusterfuck. Anyway, I disagree that we did not deserve to drop points to Hibs, Falkirk and Livingston. We did not put the ball in the net more often than them, the object of the game, so we deserved to drop points.

5 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Don't know what happened to the quote - this new format is a right clusterfuck. Anyway, I disagree that we did not deserve to drop points to Hibs, Falkirk and Livingston. We did not put the ball in the net more often than them, the object of the game, so we deserved to drop points.

The new format certainly needs tweaking,Corky, but getting back to the football; I've played/coached/managed enough games over a 60 year period to know the object of the game and although we didn't stick the ball in the net enough to win the games mentioned, there were instances that had a massive bearing on the end result.

Hibs first of all: 3rd minute of the game: Stevenson takes out Holt in the box for a stonewall penalty and Beaton didn't give it. I will admit our defence gave away 2 stupid goals but we hit the bar/post 3-4 times and Oxley in goals played out of his skin and I think we deserved at least a point.

Livingston: Another stupid goal when we allowed Ben Gordon to come out of defence and shoot at will, the ball rebounds to Hippolite unattended and he bangs it in. We had 10 shots on goal and the only way Livingston could stop us was to kick anything in a blue jersey that moved, which they did to great effect and Salmond the referee let them away with it.

Falkirk: Willie Collum gives Falkirk a penalty after 3 minutes when Danny Wilson fouls Vaulks at least 3 yards outside the box. Danny Rogers put in a performance he's never ever going to repeat. Waghorn misses a penalty (that wasn't a penalty) and we peppered the Falkirk goal with 17 shots. Considering we played a bit of a shocker, we deserved a point from the game.

You may disagree with my opinion of these 3 games, but that's what makes football an interesting game.:pipe:

4 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

The new format certainly needs tweaking,Corky, but getting back to the football; I've played/coached/managed enough games over a 60 year period to know the object of the game and although we didn't stick the ball in the net enough to win the games mentioned, there were instances that had a massive bearing on the end result.

Hibs first of all: 3rd minute of the game: Stevenson takes out Holt in the box for a stonewall penalty and Beaton didn't give it. I will admit our defence gave away 2 stupid goals but we hit the bar/post 3-4 times and Oxley in goals played out of his skin and I think we deserved at least a point.

Livingston: Another stupid goal when we allowed Ben Gordon to come out of defence and shoot at will, the ball rebounds to Hippolite unattended and he bangs it in. We had 10 shots on goal and the only way Livingston could stop us was to kick anything in a blue jersey that moved, which they did to great effect and Salmond the referee let them away with it.

Falkirk: Willie Collum gives Falkirk a penalty after 3 minutes when Danny Wilson fouls Vaulks at least 3 yards outside the box. Danny Rogers put in a performance he's never ever going to repeat. Waghorn misses a penalty (that wasn't a penalty) and we peppered the Falkirk goal with 17 shots. Considering we played a bit of a shocker, we deserved a point from the game.

You may disagree with my opinion of these 3 games, but that's what makes football an interesting game.:pipe:

Completely forgot about that. 

What's your feeling on the draw with Morton? 

12 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Oxley & Rogers only did what they are paid to do, just as Eddie Connachan did in 1961. Agree that Livingston only kicked anything that moved but Rangers' players have had to put up with that for as long as I can remember. Agree about the Falkirk penalty but we still had 87 minutes to correct that . The point is that we waste too many scoring opportunities and, if we do not put them away, we do not deserve to win. Did not imply that you did not know the object of the game so apologise for that. I was trying to emphasise the point about the missed chances.

20 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I think we have learned from these games, MW has made the required tweaks and things look a lot fresher. Refs had a lot of bearing on these games but they never stopped us scoring.