***** The Official Alloa Athletic V Rangers Match Thread *****

allgers

11 hours ago, Gooseman said:

We didn't fail.  What we did do was come up against a team that was set up to defend and counter.

We had ample chances to score more goals but their keeper was outstanding yesterday.  Should we have been more clinical?  Absolutely,  did the narrower pitch cause us any undue issues?  I don't think so.  

As it stands we have the best goal difference in the UK.   I don't think we have very much to worry about. 

Did we win?

Did the packed defence stop shots on?

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Did we win?

Did the packed defence stop shots on?

This is sadly the quote I have to agree with most of all because it's true. 

It's all true and well to say "it was tough today because we were up against a 10-man defense and couldn't break them down"... however, against Alloa there were plenty of un-converted chances, which included chances that were off target, and chances that were weak that even I could have saved... 

The Alloa keeper did make a few good saves too, that can't be denied, but that was when Rangers were piling on the pressure in the last 20 minutes and should have already been ahead by 5 by then.

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So the aim of a football match is not to lose. (tu)

Tremendous attitude. 

You and I clearly have a different idea when it comes to success and failure. 

We didn't win,  we didn't lose.  There really is no big argument about it. We are clearly the better side on the day and every stat and bit of footage agrees with that.  Drawing does not constitute failing, being 0 - 2 up with 10 minutes to go and loosing 3 - 2 is failing and failing spectacularly.  Saturday was merely a bump in the road. Taking this results as a one off I can see your point however putting it in the right context of a seasons worth of games and I don't think it's really that big of a deal. 

If we loose against Kilmarnock,  then it will be failure and a significant one at that and there will be some tough questions for the players to answer,  but saying that I do believe that we can and will win the tie in the 90 minutes. 

12 hours ago, Gooseman said:

Drawing does not constitute failing...

Of course the draw at Alloa was a failure.  We are top of the league, they are bottom.  We expected to get maximum points and we didn't.  That, to me, is failure. 

At least it was only a fail, if it had been a fail fail we would be blaming everybody just now.

We have lost a bit of the early season sparkle, it will be interesting to see how we deal with it and if we can use this slight setback to spur us on.

1 hour ago, allgers said:

At least it was only a fail, if it had been a fail fail we would be blaming everybody just now.

We have lost a bit of the early season sparkle, it will be interesting to see how we deal with it and if we can use this slight setback to spur us on.

No we've not. The team is still dominating like it always does.

What has changed though is how teams play against us. Look at the Rangers n Hibs 6-2 game. The bodies in the box compared to now. Watching this game at the weekend, more or less  8 or 9 alloa players were in the box with Rangers players. 

2 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

What has changed though is how teams play against us. Look at the Rangers n Hibs 6-2 game. The bodies in the box compared to now. Watching this game at the weekend, more or less  8 or 9 alloa players were in the box with Rangers players.

meh.... teams have "parked the bus" against us for some time now. It is nothing new to play against 10 in the box... it's been like that since near enough the start of the season.

probably managers shit themselves when we hammered Hivs early doors...

3 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Yeah and at the start of the season there would have been 8 or 9 Rangers players in there with them, I could be wrong but I think trying to be a bit more defensive has upset the dynamic and it needs time to settle back down.

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

meh.... teams have "parked the bus" against us for some time now. It is nothing new to play against 10 in the box... it's been like that since near enough the start of the season.

probably managers shit themselves when we hammered Hivs early doors...

There was a while where they didn't, it wasn't until just before Winter I think it was that they all started doing it. Hibs at home were the first to sorta do it, after that most teams followed suit

2 minutes ago, allgers said:

Yeah and at the start of the season there would have been 8 or 9 Rangers players in there with them, I could be wrong but I think trying to be a bit more defensive has upset the dynamic and it needs time to settle back down.

Yeah, that's changed. But I think that's because of the greater risk of being offside or the fact there is no room for them to be in there. 

8 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

There was a while where they didn't, it wasn't until just before Winter I think it was that they all started doing it. Hibs at home were the first to sorta do it, after that most teams followed suit

We have always had to play against a brick wall, it is silly to offer up anything else - teams set up to either "not loose" or not be hammered or hit us on the counter (St J). Teams have always generally set themselves up like this... going back years. We should be well used to it now....

i'ts not as if the penny dropped with the opposition at a point in time.... it's a weak argument tbh

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Professor_Chang said:

Ffs

Took a while but glad you finally made a comment.

7 minutes ago, Professor_Chang said:

Ffs

We can close this thread now....

7 minutes ago, Professor_Chang said:

Ffs

Oops, before we do anything else you want to say.....