Jump to content

Are We Giving Mr Warburton Enough Credit For Our Footballing Style ?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Marky. said:

Crazy, mate. Made me buy the Burnley game on RTV and even against Burnley, despite the loss I was thoroughly entertained and bought the next few games of RTV too, before reinvesting in my season ticket.

Warburton talks a lot about signing players as value for money...

That really can be said about the purchase of my season ticket this year. Absolute value for money, and I can't wait to reinvest.

We more than competed with burnley that night ableit it was a pre-season friendly,  we now see burnley top of the championship,  surely that alone must give us confidence that with the proper personnel brought in that we can kick on big time next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

We more than competed with burnley that night ableit it was a pre-season friendly,  we now see burnley top of the championship,  surely that alone must give us confidence that with the proper personnel brought in that we can kick on big time next season. 

Whilst true, we can't look too much into a pre-season friendly.

It was more set as a test for a brand new squad which was an entertaining and worthwhile exercise. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously MW is rightly given plenty of credit on how we are performing, but what I think gets over looked (maybe not by us but by the media etc) is that the transformation started immediately, with ultimately a new squad of players all working to his pylosophy. To implement tat so quickly is actually pretty amazing, and long may it continue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tannerall said:

I guarantee not one poster on here could have imagined a year ago how good our football game is now. 

Constant attacking, 70 to 80 % possession, goals flying in. Consistent sustained passing and attack right to the very last minute. A joy to watch every game, and a style of football unheard of in the past in Scotland. 

This is not a top team in Europe (yet ?). This is not Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man City or Bayern Munich with global superstars parading their skills.

This is a team who were, quite simply, performing badly in lower league Scottish football without true intent or purpose,  less than a year ago. Who'd have thought we, or any Scottish team, would now be playing the kind of football which will be respected by true football fans everywhere ?

 

As a Rangers fan I wear two hats.

My first football hat is my Rangers hat. It demands success at any level, even if  it means cynically defensive and/or  aggressive team football. Success at all costs. 

My second football hat is the joyful football one. I want to see "the beautiful game" all the time. I grew up with the Brazil team of 1970, the sublime Ajax team of the 70s with Johann Cruyff and the total football approach. I watch with total joy the tiki taka football of the great Spanish football teams from Benitez's Valencia through to the current Barcelona team. 

But now i am in the position where i can watch my own club play that kind of attractive, joy to watch, entertaining football which I always assumed was exclusive to foreign teams, or teams full of bought in superstars.

 

Thank you Mr Warburton.

I've always been proud to be a Gers fan, but as a genuine fan of football played at it's best I am even prouder of the current style of football the Rangers Football Club are playing. 

I think he gets many accolades  - and has put together a good squad with good style in a short period of time - but we are by no means the only team who try to play high tempo, pressing football, on the ground in Scotland - Aberdeen, st Johnstone , hibs, ueen of the south, and even them try to play the game 'correctly' - we have done well this season and a sterner test next season. Scottish football is no where near as bad as many make it out to be and we are no where near where we will need to be. 

However the progress is great, I have faith MW will keep us progressing and I am looking forward to the journey. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I think he gets many accolades  - and has put together a good squad with good style in a short period of time - but we are by no means the only team who try to play high tempo, pressing football, on the ground in Scotland - Aberdeen, st Johnstone , hibs, ueen of the south, and even them try to play the game 'correctly' - we have done well this season and a sterner test next season. Scottish football is no where near as bad as many make it out to be and we are no where near where we will need to be. 

However the progress is great, I have faith MW will keep us progressing and I am looking forward to the journey. 

Some valid points there - for once 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Tbh a lot of the 9 in a row years the standard of football overall was terrible but we had a Gascoigne, McCoist or Laudrup to do something special.

Back to the question. It's not quite the best football I've ever seen (Advocaat's first few seasons get's that award) but I do like the way we play when we are on form. Still need a few tweaks, though and yes, Warburton is getting the credit IMO.

What we did have during 9 in a row was an unbelievable ability to win win win, whether we played attractive or unattractive football. I agree that some of the football at times wasn't great, but you always had the knowledge that despite that we will no doubt win. The amount of games that we would allow Celtic for example to play the nice, entertaining football, but still beat them was unbelievable. In fact we used to be celebrating the night before old firm games because we just knew that we were going to do them. It was a wonderful time, but back to the present and so is this. We are beginning one of the most exciting chapters in the history of this great club. A bit like when Souness arrived in 1986, none of us know exactly what's going to happen, but what we do know is that is going to be damn good. Enjoy the journey.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes the football we play is spectacular, noticed as the season goes on we seem to play much better in the second half of games, think MW deserves credit for that also. 

There isn't a team in Scotland that plays the same as us, many may try it, but it really is a unique brand of football.

Obviously next season is when we have to deliver, but I fully believe and expect MW/DW to take us back to the top of scottish football for many years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

What we did have during 9 in a row was an unbelievable ability to win win win, whether we played attractive or unattractive football. I agree that some of the football at times wasn't great, but you always had the knowledge that despite that we will no doubt win. The amount of games that we would allow Celtic for example to play the nice, entertaining football, but still beat them was unbelievable. In fact we used to be celebrating the night before old firm games because we just knew that we were going to do them. It was a wonderful time, but back to the present and so is this. We are beginning one of the most exciting chapters in the history of this great club. A bit like when Souness arrived in 1986, none of us know exactly what's going to happen, but what we do know is that is going to be damn good. Enjoy the journey.

Buckle up mate. Dis goin b good :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is remarkable in many ways but also shows you what could have been achieved had we not let the gardener make a mockery of us for 3 years.....it still angers me the staunch defence many give him to this day....he didn't have a clue and had no work ethic....he was still treating it as if all he had to do was pick 11 guys and that was it.....look at the little tweaks warbutton made straight away and the time and effort he puts in and the benefits are there for all to see.

 

Couldn't be happier with the progress we have made but still a long way to go and I have every faith MW knows this and we will continue to improve 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant think of a point that we as fans haven't given him credit. From day one we've had the Magic Hat chants etc. We have had dips when 'lack of plan B' has been brought up but any fan that doesn't think he is the sole reason for the night and day differences between last season and this one has their head in the sand. 

If anyone hasn't given him credit it is the media, who continue to frustrated by the managers ability to deflect there terrible questions and not give away information to them week after week. I was young at the time but the feeling is comparable to when Souness came in. Not in terms of spending but in terms of fitness, professionalism and playing the game the right way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I love most about the style of play is we always go from back to front as quick as possible, there's no passing it between the 4 defenders and then casually between the midfield. It's just simply a few touches from the defence straight in to midfield and then we're in the oppositions final third. Constant attacking football is brilliant to watch

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, much prefer the route one approach from goalkeeper to striker ... 

 

 

 

 

Obviously kidding, his style of football has been a joy. A good european style of playing, that typically British teams have a bit of bother coming up against. I find it encouraging that when thing's have become a bit predictable to other teams, he's slightly tweaked the style to compensate for liabilities, which will only make us stronger. 

If only we had this attitude, strategy and forward thinking in division 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

Exciting times ahead, hopefully the powers that be at Ibrox don't let this go when the gaffer does move on to pastures new, any new boss must sign up to this new Rangers philosophy of not only entertaining the fans, but delivering results and trophies too.

The way he has the youths geed up and buzzing as well, this must be the way ahead for Rangers, regardless of who's in charge. We had a 17 year old make his debut this week whilst chasing the title, it's everything we were crying out for under the previous boss.

Average age of the squad has fallen ridiculously as well.

Want to play shitey football and scrape results? Not good enough for this club, next applicant, please!

He gave us our pride back, will always love him, just for that alone.

 

(tu) I would imagine should Warburton move on, Weir would take over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

What we did have during 9 in a row was an unbelievable ability to win win win, whether we played attractive or unattractive football. I agree that some of the football at times wasn't great, but you always had the knowledge that despite that we will no doubt win. The amount of games that we would allow Celtic for example to play the nice, entertaining football, but still beat them was unbelievable. In fact we used to be celebrating the night before old firm games because we just knew that we were going to do them. It was a wonderful time, but back to the present and so is this. We are beginning one of the most exciting chapters in the history of this great club. A bit like when Souness arrived in 1986, none of us know exactly what's going to happen, but what we do know is that is going to be damn good. Enjoy the journey.

I don't disagree with you. The 9 in a row winning mentality (domestically) was second-to-none but my point was only about the attractive brand of football, which a lot of the time it wasn't. That's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you want to really see how good his style of play is think of it with a few players from the past in the team and imagine them playing that style of football. 

Imagine Gazza or Laudrup in the free role, Durrant breaking, Gough and Butcher spraying out pinpoint passes with that left peg. Ally or Johnston burying the chances.

The players of my first Rangers teams would have loved it. Jardine, Baxter, Stein, etc. Christ Jim Forrest would have 60 goals a season with that supply.

Once we are back and when we get a couple of class players we will see that this style could be amazing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gmcf said:

It's all the more remarkable when you see he hasn't the quality of player that some of his predecessors had . 

Correct mate ..... and as Wullie states below ...... with the right talent, either brought in, or in the future from the academy .... this style of attacking football has the potential to have us doing the bouncy no matter if we are young or older, for many seasons to come.

 

1 hour ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

I think if you want to really see how good his style of play is think of it with a few players from the past in the team and imagine them playing that style of football. 

Imagine Gazza or Laudrup in the free role, Durrant breaking, Gough and Butcher spraying out pinpoint passes with that left peg. Ally or Johnston burying the chances.

The players of my first Rangers teams would have loved it. Jardine, Baxter, Stein, etc. Christ Jim Forrest would have 60 goals a season with that supply.

Once we are back and when we get a couple of class players we will see that this style could be amazing.

 

What you say is so true Wullie, and when we manage to sign or breed and nurture three or four with 50% of the talent you have mentioned, we must surely reap the rewards from this winning formula, and W&W deserve all the credit that is due to them for encouraging this dynamic at our Club.

It's still early days, but what a change we are undoubtably seeing in the wellbeing of the footballing side, due entirely to their astute coaching abilities and keen knowledge when it comes to identifying players of worth who suit this style of play.

:uk:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3 March 2016 at 6:43 PM, tannerall said:

I guarantee not one poster on here could have imagined a year ago how good our football game is now. 

Constant attacking, 70 to 80 % possession, goals flying in. Consistent sustained passing and attack right to the very last minute. A joy to watch every game, and a style of football unheard of in the past in Scotland. 

This is not a top team in Europe (yet ?). This is not Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man City or Bayern Munich with global superstars parading their skills.

This is a team who were, quite simply, performing badly in lower league Scottish football without true intent or purpose,  less than a year ago. Who'd have thought we, or any Scottish team, would now be playing the kind of football which will be respected by true football fans everywhere ?

 

As a Rangers fan I wear two hats.

My first football hat is my Rangers hat. It demands success at any level, even if  it means cynically defensive and/or  aggressive team football. Success at all costs. 

My second football hat is the joyful football one. I want to see "the beautiful game" all the time. I grew up with the Brazil team of 1970, the sublime Ajax team of the 70s with Johann Cruyff and the total football approach. I watch with total joy the tiki taka football of the great Spanish football teams from Benitez's Valencia through to the current Barcelona team. 

But now i am in the position where i can watch my own club play that kind of attractive, joy to watch, entertaining football which I always assumed was exclusive to foreign teams, or teams full of bought in superstars.

 

Thank you Mr Warburton.

I've always been proud to be a Gers fan, but as a genuine fan of football played at it's best I am even prouder of the current style of football the Rangers Football Club are playing. 

:thumbup:

You are on a roll Tannerall ........ once again you have penned another great thread, cheers mate, you covered it all.

:uk: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby Hume said:

Correct mate ..... and as Wullie states below ...... with the right talent, either brought in, or in the future from the academy .... this style of attacking football has the potential to have us doing the bouncy no matter if we are young or older, for many seasons to come.

 

What you say is so true Wullie, and when we manage to sign or breed and nurture three or four with 50% of the talent you have mentioned, we must surely reap the rewards from this winning formula, and W&W deserve all the credit that is due to them for encouraging this dynamic at our Club.

It's still early days, but what a change we are undoubtably seeing in the wellbeing of the footballing side, due entirely to their astute coaching abilities and keen knowledge when it comes to identifying players of worth who suit this style of play.

:uk:

 

Not often I leave the music thread on a Friday night :D 

Indeed it is early days , and the true test will come next season in a higher quality league. But the foundations he's laid are there , not just solid , but attractive , attacking and exciting football. What else could any football supporter ask of his team ? 

I mean this as no disrespect to our current players , but as Wullie said , there's no Gazza , Laudrup etc in this team . Depending on the day , those guys could change games on their skill alone. I think we now have a more solid foundation , where we don't rely on individuals , but a system where it really is about the team as a whole. 

Obviously we always need to improve , but whereas before we bought big names at big prices , I think we will get better value for money trying to fit players into a system that suits us , instead of buying buying big names that we work around ( if that makes sense on a late Friday night :D ) 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gmcf said:

Not often I leave the music thread on a Friday night :D 

Indeed it is early days , and the true test will come next season in a higher quality league. But the foundations he's laid are there , not just solid , but attractive , attacking and exciting football. What else could any football supporter ask of his team ? 

I mean this as no disrespect to our current players , but as Wullie said , there's no Gazza , Laudrup etc in this team . Depending on the day , those guys could change games on their skill alone. I think we now have a more solid foundation , where we don't rely on individuals , but a system where it really is about the team as a whole. 

Obviously we always need to improve , but whereas before we bought big names at big prices , I think we will get better value for money trying to fit players into a system that suits us , instead of buying buying big names that we work around ( if that makes sense on a late Friday night :D ) 

 

 

:thumbup:

Makes all the sense in the world to me Bud ......  your posts are dead on the money ....... This type of thread makes you think about only the football, and as you say hopefully we may not need to pay large sums for "stars" when the game is successfully played as a team game, and they all pull together.

It seem that this style of play allows for most to shine and a few to star when it is played at it's best, so all looking good ...... and again as you have said in a few posts this formula makes going to Ibrox a pleasure now compared to what was on offer previously making, it sadly at times, a bit of a chore ...... but it has improved now, and the experience is very contagious.

:uk:

  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 11 April 2021 14:00 Until 16:00
      0  
      Rangers v Hibernian
      Ibrox Stadium
      Scottish Premiership

×
×
  • Create New...