Ibrox Stadium Redevelopment

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Let's face it Ibrox is the Main Stand it's one the most recognisable buildings in world football. 

As for the other 3 sides if we had the money I would knock them down and start again. 

If money was no object, I'd love us to use the same brickwork and colour as the main stand to build a sort of outer skin, then have what is essentially a modern stadium inside, much like how the NY Yankees have done in their new stadium.

I think the general consensus is to bring the current Stadium back to its pristine best. I would have loved Ibrox to have the biggest capacity of any stadium in the UK, but quality is the main thing. We have an official record attendance of nigh on 120,000, which will never be beaten at any League ground in the UK again. That is a record to be very proud of, and we were the leaders by years of bringing stadia in the UK up to all seating standard and comfort. Personally I prefer to stand at football, and the idea of safe standing areas in the East and West enclosures is perhaps something worse looking into for the future.

Just now, The Ibrox Derry said:

I think the general consensus is to bring the current Stadium back to its pristine best. I would have loved Ibrox to have the biggest capacity of any stadium in the UK, but quality is the main thing. We have an official record attendance of nigh on 120,000, which will never be beaten at any League ground in the UK again. That is a record to be very proud of, and we were the leaders by years of bringing stadia in the UK up to all seating standard and comfort. Personally I prefer to stand at football, and the idea of safe standing areas in the East and West enclosures is perhaps something worse looking into for the future.

Bring Ibrox back to the standard that got us the 5 star rating in the first place. This stadium has world records oozing from her very soul. Not so long ago a world record of 49,118 were there to witness the largest crowd in a lower division. :uk: 

Can't see any major rebuild  until revenue streams increase dramatically (topic for another thread), however can do some short term work to improve both quantity and quality at relatively low cost.

1.  Extend the front of BR and CR similar to Bar 72 in the SJ adding 500 seats at each end taking capacity to 52000

2.  Lower the pitch (again). We still have a massive gap between the stands and the touchline.  For each additional row around the stadium we would add around 800 seats so four rows would add around 3200 taking the capacity to 55200.   This would have the added effect of improving the atmosphere by bringing the fans closer to the pitch.

3.  Adding rail type seats (for safe standing) to BF and CF or alternatively the enclosures would allow the capacity to increase to around 60000 when standing was in use.

4.  Conduct work to improve the concourses in Broomloan, Copland and SJ.   In BR and CR could cantilever backwards to widen the concourses and provide additional refreshment bars etc, could lighten things up with some windows.

5.  Improve the external environment which is dire.

Beyond that the age old question of the corners would require the removal / replacement / extension of the roof trusses to allow the corners to be in-filled.  I imagine this could add another 3500 in each corner taking the seated capacity to around 62500.  Extending  the trusses could also allow the extension of Copland and Broomloan towards the Main Stand adding another 2500 seats for a final capacity of 65000 seating (but would mean altering the access to the CD).   Any structural engineers please advise on the cost / practicical implications of this.

29 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Can't see any major rebuild  until revenue streams increase dramatically (topic for another thread), however can do some short term work to improve both quantity and quality at relatively low cost.

1.  Extend the front of BR and CR similar to Bar 72 in the SJ adding 500 seats at each end taking capacity to 52000

2.  Lower the pitch (again). We still have a massive gap between the stands and the touchline.  For each additional row around the stadium we would add around 800 seats so four rows would add around 3200 taking the capacity to 55200.   This would have the added effect of improving the atmosphere by bringing the fans closer to the pitch.

3.  Adding rail type seats (for safe standing) to BF and CF or alternatively the enclosures would allow the capacity to increase to around 60000 when standing was in use.

4.  Conduct work to improve the concourses in Broomloan, Copland and SJ.   In BR and CR could cantilever backwards to widen the concourses and provide additional refreshment bars etc, could lighten things up with some windows.

Beyond that the age old question of the corners would require the removal / replacement / extension of the roof trusses to allow the corners to be in-filled.  I imagine this could add another 3500 in each corner taking the seated capacity to around 62500.  Extending  the trusses could also allow the extension of Copland and Broomloan towards the Main Stand adding another 2500 seats for a final capacity of 65000 seating (but would mean altering the access to the CD).   Any structural engineers please advise on the cost / practicical implications of this.

All good ideas and not overly complicated or major constructions jobs to carry out.

For the last one about the corners, ive always liked the screens although we have had some poor quality screens in the past, i would like them replaced with modern HD/wide screens, would probably not fit in the current cut out space but could probably be placed in front of the location.

Just now, The Ibrox Derry said:

You write some really good posts Willis, but come on, isn't Rangers having a 5 star rated Stadium something to be proud of?

It doesnt make the slightest bit of difference tho. For instance, if installing a standing section was to take us from a 5 star stadium to a 4 star id say go for it, because its just a ranking that doesnt really mean anything. its a nice thing to have but it literally doesnt mean anything of importance

And another non-issue is the stadium capacity imo, we have more than enough seats for most games, some folk are obviously jealous that the pigerry holds 60,000 and ours doesnt. Id rather have a near full stadium for most games than 1/3 empty for most games like at parkhead. And the day a team has to brag about the capacity of their ground is the day theyve lost the football argument. We can brag about having the most trophies, having the most seats means fuck all especially if theyre empty.

22 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

5 star rating only allows you to host a Euro final, and the SFA will never let that happen when Hampdump is there. 

As for andyhrfc you might as well just knock them down and start again. 

Its Category 4 (there are no 'star ratings') that gets you European Finals and Ibrox is one of 27 on the list. Queens Park have the only other Category 4 stadium in Glasgow.

1 hour ago, andyhrfc said:

Some options there that could be carried out without major expenditure, but I think regarding lowering the pitch again that's a no-no because we're so near the river, sure I read something about water tables. Still, as long as we're top of the league table that's what's most important. :D

5 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

I would far rather see the money saved for a rainy day / future complete stadium rebuild,  rather than frittering away money filling in corners for a stadium which very rarely sells out.  

We have sell outs all the time, our attendance figures are frightening to most of Scotland. Would like to see them fix the restricted view seats and do something better with segregation for opposing fans, that big empty swathe of seats pisses me off.

The stadium does concern me slightly - I would like to know the design life of the various stands. Some of the stands have had revamps and are getting relatively old. I think it's something we should be taking a long term view on, and possibly start saving towards the building of a new stadium. 

Like many have said I think it's fine apart from a clean up . remember going to my first game when I was about mid 20s ( I'm from Down in Poole so never got chance before )see the stadium for the first Time was speechless it's just an amazing stadium best I have been to by some distance and I have been to a few