Ibrox Stadium Redevelopment

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/19/2016 at 5:43 PM, glasgow argyle said:

yes that,s more to my liking, looks like the stadium is finished. 

and indeed if these plans make capacity 59k, then certainly something worth considering in future if finances permit.

certainly cheaper than other suggestions

the only downside i see is that some seats would have a restricted view

We have missed the boat with any kind of major redevelopment, these images were in Rangers news around 94/95 and back then I couldn't wait to see the stadium with the corners filled with seats to make it 59k. The big screen option was disappointing and seemed to be a last minute change for whatever reason, officially it was for the beamback of away games which never really took off but maybe it was to do with construction problems.

If the corners could be filled then I would go for that and I'm sure they would look much better now with advances in construction over the past 22 years, sadly I doubt this will ever happen. The other options for capacity expansion would be to lower the pitch to add more seats, safe standing behind both goals/both enclosures, 

Give Ibrox a good clean, improve the facilities within and around the stadium.

1 hour ago, coisty78 said:

We have missed the boat with any kind of major redevelopment, these images were in Rangers news around 94/95 and back then I couldn't wait to see the stadium with the corners filled with seats to make it 59k. The big screen option was disappointing and seemed to be a last minute change for whatever reason, officially it was for the beamback of away games which never really took off but maybe it was to do with construction problems.

If the corners could be filled then I would go for that and I'm sure they would look much better now with advances in construction over the past 22 years, sadly I doubt this will ever happen. The other options for capacity expansion would be to lower the pitch to add more seats, safe standing behind both goals/both enclosures, 

Give Ibrox a good clean, improve the facilities within and around the stadium.

Never liked the images showing the corners fully seated, there would have been supporting beams meaning restricted views.

3 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Never liked the images showing the corners fully seated, there would have been supporting beams meaning restricted views.

I'm sure if engineers were to look at it today they could build it without the supporting beams inside the stadium at that it would look much better. Borussia Dortmund managed it with the Westfalenstadion and as the 3 newer stands at Ibrox were based on Dortmunds stadium, I'm sure a similar design for the corners could be constructed. But whether or not it's worth the cost is another matter.

Lick of paint and some small upgrades and nothing more.

There is not the demand for a new stadium expansion for Scottish football, it’s just not worth how much it would cost. Maybe one day IF we get out of this set up then there may be a case for it but not a chance at the minute.

1 hour ago, The Godfather said:

Lick of paint and some small upgrades and nothing more.

There is not the demand for a new stadium expansion for Scottish football, it’s just not worth how much it would cost. Maybe one day IF we get out of this set up then there may be a case for it but not a chance at the minute.

Agreed. But even then I'd choose to spend the money putting new tiers on the Jardine, Copland and Broomloan. 

The space is there and I'm sure Argyle house can be redesigned and a lot of the office space moved into a new building.

Hate the thought of leaving Ibrox considering it's history.

Immediate Essentials:

General maintenance, jobbing repairs and painting all over the stadium including all stairways, concourses, replacing seat numbers etc.

Replacing/covering the horrible perspex wind shields on the Broomloan and Copland.

Deep cleaning and repair of the roofline structures, including the club deck beams and removing the family stand sign.

Basic improvements to the surrounding area.

Next steps:

Introduction of safe standing area(s).

Further improvements to surrounding area, including redevelopment of Edmiston house site, ideally a complete new build that functions as a museum/fan bar/restaurant/conference centre/ticket office. Would also like to see the community pitch in front relocated and an Ibrox walkway built down towards the main stand entrance.

If truly back in the big time/Dream stuff:

Stadium expansion. I liked the idea of the third tier on the Govan stand that was often spoke about in the mid-2000's. The commonwealth games video from 2007 even featured renders of this (shown below), so I'd like to think these plans must've been seriously considered before all the financial/tax shite started.

Building a 4/5 star hotel around the stadium, possibly on the vacant land where the high rises used to be. Ideal for fans coming from abroad and a great selling point for tourists and business meetings, with the transport links between the airport and city centre being so good.

Lobbying to have Ibrox railway station reopened, particularly if/when crossrail and the airport link finally get going. This would link perfectly into the hotel plans above as the station would be right next to it.

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

2 hours ago, coisty78 said:

I'm sure if engineers were to look at it today they could build it without the supporting beams inside the stadium at that it would look much better. Borussia Dortmund managed it with the Westfalenstadion and as the 3 newer stands at Ibrox were based on Dortmunds stadium, I'm sure a similar design for the corners could be constructed. But whether or not it's worth the cost is another matter.

With hindsight it's a pity we used the Westfalen as a model, the "goalpost" design of the stands is now outdated and restrictive when it comes to expansion. Maybe at the time the club's main concern, understandably after the Disaster, was crowd safety and the way the three stands were constructed to be separate from each other maybe made it easier to control specific  numbers of spectators in different areas of the ground.

34 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

With hindsight it's a pity we used the Westfalen as a model, the "goalpost" design of the stands is now outdated and restrictive when it comes to expansion. Maybe at the time the club's main concern, understandably after the Disaster, was crowd safety and the way the three stands were constructed to be separate from each other maybe made it easier to control specific  numbers of spectators in different areas of the ground.

It was probably the most state of the art design at the time. The Westfalen stadium that Ibrox was based on was very different to the stadium they have today.

Ibrox when built was a superior design to the 1974 Westfalen it was based on. The picture below shows the expansion of Dortmunds stadium over the years and what could be possible to the 2 corners at Ibrox. Not that it's likely to happen anytime soon!

Personally I would much prefer the corners filled in like this rather than adding tiers to any of the stands. 

URL]BVB_zps7fxsj6uy.jpg

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We would need to do similar with our corners and have exterior supports. 

I'm no engineer but as our stadium is a similar goalpost design I would imagine we would. They would look good in blue!

7 minutes ago, coisty78 said:

It was probably the most state of the art design at the time. The Westfalen stadium that Ibrox was based on was very different to the stadium they have today.

Ibrox when built was a superior design to the 1974 Westfalen it was based on. The picture below shows the expansion of Dortmunds stadium over the years and what could be possible to the 2 corners at Ibrox. Not that it's likely to happen anytime soon!

Personally I would much prefer the corners filled in like this rather than adding tiers to any of the stands. 

URL]BVB_zps7fxsj6uy.jpg

Looking at it there, it was really nothing spectacular at the time of the 1974 World Cup, but Willie Waddell must have liked it enough.

Just now, coisty78 said:

I'm no engineer but as our stadium is a similar goalpost design I would imagine we would. They would look good in blue!

:lol: Was just about to edit my post to say they would look cracking in blue. 

The supports for the roof are built into the structure the screens sit in, so yes if you take that away you would need to go down the Dortmund route. 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

:lol: Was just about to edit my post to say they would look cracking in blue. 

The supports for the roof are built into the structure the screens sit in, so yes if you take that away you would need to go down the Dortmund route. 

I think Ibrox would look great by keeping all 4 stands as they are but adding the similar design corners with blue supports.

13 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Honestly if money was no object I would knock down the 3 Stands and start again.

Personally I love the design of Ibrox. I all for enhancing the current stadium rather than a complete rebuild. It just shows how far ahead we were as a club that these 3 newer stands now nearly 40 years old still look amazing today.

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Honestly if money was no object I would knock down the 3 Stands and start again.

Maybe it would just be a case of removing the roof from the three stands, filling in the corners with seats, then constructing a new cantilever roof right round the three sides, no need to start from ground level? 

I'm saying "just" as if we've got that kind of money :D

5 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

No idea how much it cost at Dortmund but the two "quadrants" at Old Trafford cost £42 million.

I'm not sure of the costs involved but I'm sure the roof structure at Old Trafford is cantilever and different to Dortmund.

Either way we won't be filling in the corners with seats for a very long time or at all. It would look amazing though!

On 29/03/2016 at 4:49 PM, NornIronBear said:

This is the reason Ibrox is great the way it is.

As I've said previous it just needs tlc and some minor upgrades.

2016-03-29 16.44.41.png

Well summed up by this journo. 

If Ibrox is ever changed, this should be kept in mind. We must never allow it to become just another identi-kit stadium. It MUST always retain it's feel.