If we had gained promotion last season?

blueretro

Where would we be sitting now? Manager (McCall)? Squad(Journeymen)? League position(maybe mid table)?  

As for where we are now. I think we have the makings of something really good. At the moment on our day we would comfortably beat anyone in the premier league. It's the off days and off spells in games that give me cause for concern. With maybe two or three additions in the close season i think we'll be ready to challenge for the title.

As for the upcoming semi-final, I think it's a game we could win 3-0 or just as easily lose 3-0. All depends on how we perform on the day. One things we can be sure about. We will come out looking for and expecting a victory. It'll be nothing like last years capitulation. 

I know it's hypothetical but still interested to hear peoples views.

Thought about this myself too.

I know it won't sit right with people and I can't believe I now think this way myself but not winning promotion last year has helped us.

I think it's a stick-on that wee McCall would have got the job and he wouldn't have done a better job than McCoist. If not McCall then Perreria would have probably got it. I was gutted in the summer he didn't come but with hindsight that was for the best too as he's not really done anything of note with Fenerbache.

It was better the way it happened (even if Motherwell still hurts like fuck) and got Warburton in, cleared out the dead wood that left and started to build something.

We will have to rebuild again this summer without a doubt. These guys now have done fantastic this season, I'm not knocking them but we need to build on it. The main thing is the footballing ethos is there, which it is - just need some quality added and we there's no reason why we can't win the league next season - none at all.

Just now, ben51 said:

I honestly don't believe McCall would have got the job if we made it up. 

Would have still been straight back into the mix in interviews, and once again Warburton would have expressed an interest and been head and shoulders above the other candidates.

That's my belief.

Just now, Marky. said:

Would have still been straight back into the mix in interviews, and once again Warburton would have expressed an interest and been head and shoulders above the other candidates.

That's my belief.

Not to mention Vitor Pereira who was heavily linked.

1 minute ago, ben51 said:

Not to mention Vitor Pereira who was heavily linked.

Plenty of names around. I think when the new regime took charge they knew what they were doing, and the importance of a complete overhaul.

Can only be delighted with the results at this stage, and I'm equally as happy with the transfer dealings that have come from the new management team too! Squad taking real shape and settled in fantastically.

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

Plenty of names around. I think when the new regime took charge they knew what they were doing, and the importance of a complete overhaul.

Can only be delighted with the results at this stage, and I'm equally as happy with the transfer dealings that have come from the new management team too! Squad taking real shape and settled in fantastically.

Well summarised, Mark.

One of the best things to happen to us that we didn't go up. We know, the club knows that every single team in that league especially at their ground would be out to beat us and lord it over us at our lowest ebb. There is no way that team wouldve had the bottle to see that out. We would be in complete meltdown on the park. Getting thrashed by the tims, aberdeen and dundee utd. 

The team we have at this moment regardless of 'gulf in class' n all that pish actually give me the confidence to go up against anyone in this country and win.

I personally wouldve been dreading going up to Aberdeen and over to the East with that team last year and although wed be hard to beat itd be fucking embrassing going to teams like ICT and Dundee Utd and defending and I fully believe we would be bottom 6 

I am glad were taking another year in this league and are on course for the most unlikely treble in our history

Just now, ben51 said:

Well summarised, Mark.

Bigger picture of what's been going on. No matter what happens the rest of the season, it will always be remembered fondly for the optimism and good feeling brought back to visiting Ibrox every second weekend.

Not wanting to put any positive on last seasons failure as that is what it was , complete failure plain and simple , although I put the blame on mcoist a lot more than I ever do McCall but that is a different argument for a different day/thread 

what I do hope is that it leads to the biggest blessing in disguise our club has seen , biggest one in hindsight in my lifetime was the 3-0 defeat to Lyon , utterly gutting at the time but ultimately put us on the road to Manchester which I don't think any of us would swap  , if last seasons failure has paved a way for us to completely rebuild our club and ethos withing the club from training an , management and scouting and just generally bring much more stability around the club then it will be looked back on upon as a major setback we responded fantastically to 

this is season has been so refreshing and positive , and I look forward to the end of this season and next season with great excitement and optimism 

4 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Bigger picture of what's been going on. No matter what happens the rest of the season, it will always be remembered fondly for the optimism and good feeling brought back to visiting Ibrox every second weekend.

(tu) 

It's been magic.

Despise us losing and could never find myself being happy with a loss or wanting us to lose in advance, however, every now and again a loss will trigger something that can change the future for the best for the club, Motherwell was one such result.

Another I remember is Inverness scoring at Ibrox when Le Guen was in charge, I couldn't make the match but when news filtered through that Inverness had scored I didn't have that horrible feeling in my stomach that I normally do when I hear/see we're behind. I knew it could spell the end of him which was the best for us as a club.

Walter returned and not long afterwards we had a UEFA Cup final to look forward to.

It's up for debate whether McCall would have got the job, I'm not sure the board would have had the balls to sack a manager who led a team of strays back to the top division. We got our arses handed to us and it hurt knowing we were just a couple of games away from being back where we belong. We didn't deserve to go up and there's a good chance we would have been embarrassed in the top division.

Now? Bring in around 6 quality players and we can win this league first time of asking.

So, yea, maybe we will look back on Motherwell as a defining moment.

When did Warburton appear on the clubs radar?

Would it have been the case that we could have won promotion, said thank you very much Stuart, and brought Mark in anyway?

I don't know, but as BBB said, sometimes a loss is made easier to handle if it triggers something bigger.

All I do know, is that Warburton is magic, he wears a magic hat...

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Thought about this myself too.

I know it won't sit right with people and I can't believe I now think this way myself but not winning promotion last year has helped us.

I think it's a stick-on that wee McCall would have got the job and he wouldn't have done a better job than McCoist. If not McCall then Perreria would have probably got it. I was gutted in the summer he didn't come but with hindsight that was for the best too as he's not really done anything of note with Fenerbache.

It was better the way it happened (even if Motherwell still hurts like fuck) and got Warburton in, cleared out the dead wood that left and started to build something.

We will have to rebuild again this summer without a doubt. These guys now have done fantastic this season, I'm not knocking them but we need to build on it. The main thing is the footballing ethos is there, which it is - just need some quality added and we there's no reason why we can't win the league next season - none at all.

Spot on by the way. 

It seems weird as a fan saying i'm glad we didn't go up but that is how I feel. 

We needed more time, not just because for the first team but the way our whole operation from scouting through to the academy upwards has been restructured. This was vital for us after the way everything had been decimated. Also I feel now like we are on a journey with this team, finding a proper style of football again, which I don't think would have happened if we'd gone straight up. 

If we had won promotion to the Premier League at first attempt then I think Ally would have taken the opportunity to step down at that stage with "the main job done". 

The next step would have been dependent on the board, and with a support that would have been in better spirits than we were last year would have taken the easier "safer" option of appointing an experienced Scottish manager  and I suspect it would also be one that Walter and Ally would have endorsed. Probably McCall, though there were a few options from some with experience in the English championship (Davies etc) or the likes of Calderwood and Butcher (despairs).

The "jobs for the boys" culture would have remained, the likes of McCulloch, Smith, Foster, Black !!, even Boyd would have stayed, we'd have ended up in shit creek playing mediocre football, being beaten by cellic, Aberdeen and Hearts, embarrassed and struggling to stay in top half of league even with an extra 4 or 5 players. Another season wasted.

The support has no patience and would have expected lots of money to have been spent for instant success.  Thankfully we have had time to see how a real manager can spend wisely,  and hopefully enough of us will have seen enough to give him time to get an all conquering team.

For me what is for us will not go past us no matter what barriers were placed in our way.

Rangers under Ally got us to touching distance, however Ally was not the man to finish the job, step up MW or should I say step up fate in the form of MW.

Our great club is not the most successful football club in the world by accident, it's because it is our rightful place and not only history confirm this but our future endeavour will just cement this.

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

If we had won promotion to the Premier League at first attempt then I think Ally would have taken the opportunity to step down at that stage with "the main job done". 

The next step would have been dependent on the board, and with a support that would have been in better spirits than we were last year would have taken the easier "safer" option of appointing an experienced Scottish manager  and I suspect it would also be one that Walter and Ally would have endorsed. Probably McCall, though there were a few options from some with experience in the English championship (Davies etc) or the likes of Calderwood and Butcher (despairs).

The "jobs for the boys" culture would have remained, the likes of McCulloch, Smith, Foster, Black !!, even Boyd would have stayed, we'd have ended up in shit creek playing mediocre football, being beaten by cellic, Aberdeen and Hearts, embarrassed and struggling to stay in top half of league even with an extra 4 or 5 players. Another season wasted.

I can't agree with that tannerall, I respect a lot what you have to say and I know you know your stuff from years of watching our great club but for me ally would have kept going, I know it's all just speculation now but for me it was a blessing in disguise that he failed and Warburton took over 

1 hour ago, DrLaudrup said:

It seems weird as a fan saying i'm glad we didn't go up but that is how I feel. 

We needed more time, not just because for the first team but the way our whole operation from scouting through to the academy upwards has been restructured. This was vital for us after the way everything had been decimated. Also I feel now like we are on a journey with this team, finding a proper style of football again, which I don't think would have happened if we'd gone straight up. 

Not weird at all.  Had we gone up we would have kept up the same old mediocrity playing dreary football and hashing out results.  The club overall would still be chugging along. We would be sitting at best mid-table and fans would be going along to games just hoping for the best and most likely not being entertained.

By not going up and bringing in W&W we as a club have undergone our own Glorious Revolution from which there is no turning back.  Actually look forward to game day again and even our academy seems finally on the right track.  

Agree with the original post and any time I heard anyone say "aye not getting promoted is a good thing" prior to MW coming in of course, I thought......what a load of crap.

When I look at it now however it truly was the best thing, no one could have predicted the wonderful football and manager we have now, with this team looking hungry with a positive and respectful attitude. Mark Warburton is the best thing that could possibly have happened with how he has changed the running and ethos of the club........can't wait to get back where we all want to be.

The fans said repeatedly that if McCall got us promoted he should be given a chance as manager.  If we got promoted I could well see the board giving the fans what they wanted because happy punters buy season books.