If we had gained promotion last season?

blueretro

2 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

The fans said repeatedly that if McCall got us promoted he should be given a chance as manager.  If we got promoted I could well see the board giving the fans what they wanted because happy punters buy season books.

I remember reading fans saying that - sums up the mentally of a lot of us 

Despite being deeply disappointed when we lost out to Motherwell I'm now relieved that's the way it panned out.  I'm dubious that if we had beaten Motherwell and been promoted that the same management team would now be in place and let's be frank.  Beaten 6-1 on aggregate by the second bottom team in the SPL?

We weren't ready but now we are more than ready.  It worked out for the best. 

Agree with most but the loss to Motherwell wasn't a gulf in class, it was the culmination of the extra rounds played  when the team was out on their feet. The gulf in class would have been shown when we went up if we had kept the team and manager.

Biggest thing for me along with the team performances and results is the fact the academy is now training the players to come into the first team with the style already ingrained. Looking forward to the next two years when we might see a lot of them coming through. You just need to see what MW and DW have done with young Mckay.

Just now, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Agree with most but the loss to Motherwell wasn't a gulf in class, it was the culmination of the extra rounds played  when the team was out on their feet. The gulf in class would have been shown when we went up if we had kept the team and manager.

Biggest thing for me along with the team performances and results is the fact the academy is now training the players to come into the first team with the style already ingrained. Looking forward to the next two years when we might see a lot of them coming through. You just need to see what MW have done with young Mckay.

I also feel that if we had gone up last season and let's say without having hired Mark Warburton that we could have struggled just for mid table mediocrity and that's not good enough.  Top 3 has to be a minimum expectation.

The transformation that took place last summer was what should have happened when we went into division 3, the team were an embarrassment. We were playing against part time opposition and not looking any fitter or technically better than them. 

We are now behaving the way a professional football club should be behaving. We have a footballing philosophy running through the club, a scouting department with a respected head scout, performance analyst's and proper youth coaches. Most importantly the first team are playing some fantastic football and we look lean and fit. Kenny Miller looks like he is running about fitter than ever, our 4th goal yesterday was scored by a full back who was on the 6 yard line when he knocked the ball in. We have players in the team who will eventually move on but we will likely receive decent money for them when they do.

None of this would likely have happened had we went up last season. McCoist and McCall would never have implemented the overhaul that MW has, and I shudder to think what the football would have been like.

Not going up last year, will turn out to be a defining moment in our clubs history. We will look back and say that was the point when everything changed. 

The bm

8 hours ago, 1690tamRFC said:

I can't agree with that tannerall, I respect a lot what you have to say and I know you know your stuff from years of watching our great club but for me ally would have kept going, I know it's all just speculation now but for me it was a blessing in disguise that he failed and Warburton took over 

As far as I remember it, Warburton was already lined up to take over after we were promoted (after the play-offs), then when we got beat there was a slightly strange period when it looked like he wasn't going to take the job because we failed to get promoted.

6-1 on aggregate at the time seemed like a total disaster, but in hindsight it was probably the best result ever, the total overhaul which was four years too late was implemented in League 1 with a bit of breathing space,  Dazzler calls it spot on in the post a few above.

Do not think Stuart McCall would've got the job and actually believe Dave King had Warburton and Weir lined up long before it was announced. They had already told Brentford they were leaving earlier and King could not speak about it. As for where would we be i'm not sure as I never think along those sort of lines. Probably tend to dream more about the past than the future.  

McCall for the job is some thought now we have MW, McCall must've known that was a short term job as we had no1 else and King would've had MW lined up already. If we had went up and had MW in charge I think it would pretty much have been as we are just now as he would probably still have signed the boys he has already and they would've taken a few weeks to settle and maybe finished 4/5th then ready to crack on next year, under McCall up in the top league with all the "stars" that were already there doesn't bear thinking about tbh. We are extremely lucky to have MW and it's time we looked forward now and left McCoist and all the other failures in the past where they belong. 

I think we'd be in the position we're in but in the Premiership. Sellik are crap and we would have probably had a slightly stronger team than we currently have and we'd be 6-8 points minimum ahead and heading for the title.

Mark Warburton may be a pretty good managed but I'm inclined to think anyone except McCoist could have won the Premiership.

As I stood at Fir Park that day watching their moron fans jumping about the park, if someone had said the following to me about this season I would gave them a slap and told them to shut the fuck up....

1. "This defeat is a good thing for Rangers."

2. "We will be appointing a manager who had more experience as a city trader than a football manager. But by fuck he will be magic."

3. "Davie Weir will be back in a managerial/coaching capacity."

4. "Barrie McKay will be a mainstay in our team."

5. "We will have our best footballing side since The wee General was manager."

6. "We will be going into a meeting with the Mhanks feeling that we can turn them over."

7. "That Ibrox will be sporting 42K+ crowds again, that are loving watching the team play."

8. "Kenny Miller will be playing as well as he has done at any point in his career at the age of 37."

Absolutely amazing to think what has transpired in such a short period of time to our great club.

watched it in magaluf, went back to the hotel and had a wee greet to myself while my pals where out partying. When I was walking back I can only describe my feelings of like a little duck you see calmly floating on the water but underneath its legs are kicking away relentlessly, Felt lonely as fuck that night sitting there on the veranda watching people walk by oblivious to what had just happened to me and my team. I still get a little sad thinking of it, but luckily the damage is well on its way to being repaired. The last 4 years has been brutal with ups and downs we all know it, we've all had they moments. Our time is now and NO ONE deserves it more than us.

40 minutes ago, Sket said:

I shudder to think what kind of state we would be in had we went up last year :(

Yes I think most of us would now agree that the Motherwell result was a blessing in disguise.  Even if we had pulled it off and even if Mr Warburton had still been hired I strongly feel one more season in the Championship was a better scenario for him to prepare a team for a return to the SPL rather than being thrown straight into it.

We have a far better chance of being serious challengers next season than we would have this season and a mediocre first year back would have been a disappointment.  Teams now fear coming to Ibrox again. 

5 hours ago, weeto said:

I think we'd be in the position we're in but in the Premiership. Sellik are crap and we would have probably had a slightly stronger team than we currently have and we'd be 6-8 points minimum ahead and heading for the title.

Mark Warburton may be a pretty good managed but I'm inclined to think anyone except McCoist could have won the Premiership.

Just thought this was worth quoting for posterity. While I would love to think the above would be the case but - Really!!!

Some of the players we had were done or just not good enough or bombscares. I loved Moshni especially when he cemented the guy in the playoffs but it just showed no team spirit as no-one rushed in to help him. In the past JG would have sorted out any Rangers player who didn't help out a teamate. Guys like Ian Black not interested in anyone but himself, Boyd unable to run etc etc.

MW was given the opportunity to put in his philosophy and players without the pressure he would have had in the SPL. A lot of teams in the SPL would have been quite happy to have a pop at us last season. Do you think they feel the same way now?

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Biggest thing for me along with the team performances and results is the fact the academy is now training the players to come into the first team with the style already ingrained. Looking forward to the next two years when we might see a lot of them coming through. You just need to see what MW and DW have done with young Mckay.

Totally agree - it is not just the transformation in what we see on the pitch but also the total change in every aspect of the club from youth development through to boardroom level. We are well back on the road to being where Rangers should be and for that we can all be thankful and is not something that would necessarily have happened had we been promoted last year.

And look at the slaughtering I got for suggesting the same after the Motherwell game. Going up last year would've been a disaster with fans leaving in droves. 

I said it then and I'll say it again, get hammered off Motherwell was the best thing that could have happened to us. 

On 25 March 2016 at 9:51 PM, Marky. said:

Would have still been straight back into the mix in interviews, and once again Warburton would have expressed an interest and been head and shoulders above the other candidates.

That's my belief.

I agree with you I think it would have been a tougher decision for the board but I believe Warbuton was their go to man regardless what happened with the promotion chase.

I remember around this time last season on here that I was slaughtered for suggesting that another season in the Championship might be a blessing in disguise, which it's quite obviously turned out to be.

A lot of you sure have changed your tune since. Don't know whether to take a shit or go for a haircut. 

On 3/28/2016 at 5:17 AM, TheCutch said:

1. "This defeat is a good thing for Rangers."

2. "We will be appointing a manager who had more experience as a city trader than a football manager. But by fuck he will be magic."

3. "Davie Weir will be back in a managerial/coaching capacity."

4. "Barrie McKay will be a mainstay in our team."

5. "We will have our best footballing side since The wee General was manager."

6. "We will be going into a meeting with the Mhanks feeling that we can turn them over."

7. "That Ibrox will be sporting 42K+ crowds again, that are loving watching the team play."

8. "Kenny Miller will be playing as well as he has done at any point in his career at the age of 37."

9. "We'll have a striker with 28 goals."

10. "We'll have two full backs with a combined goal tally of 22 and assist tally of 30."

11. "We'll get an amazing Midfielder from hearts for 65k who'll get us 10 goals and 7 assists." 

12. "We'll be 20 points over Hibs and have a goal difference of 55."