Dick Advocaat era...

Boab

I think it was an exciting time where we signed some real quality at times and it was when I fell in love with the 4-3-3 formation.

The likes of R.De Boer, Andrei Kanchelskis, Tugay who was magnificent at sweeper in Monaco though there were low points like Amo versus Monaco at home (if I remember right) and Sturn Graz away from home amongst many others.

Though it could also be said that we are still recovering financially from that period but it wasn't Dick writing the cheques but SDM, infact you could maybe call it our 'Leeds period' where we really went for it.

And before I ferget, that night in Munich will always haunt many a Rangers man and woman.

So, what are your thoughts in retrospect of the Dick Advocaat era and your best and worst memories?

Great party but the hangover has lasted a long time. I don't blame DA for the spending spree and subsequent heavy debt though. Murray has full responsibility for that.

I think everyone was excited about what was going to happen. Money to spend, big names coming in. I think I was most excited when we signed Ronald De Boer who was already an international name playing for a great team.

Looking back now...Was it really worth it? 80Mil pound of debt and we never achieved anything we haven't done before (With less money). I do not think so. Would never encourage anything like this to happen again considering the failure that it was itself and the aftermath we are suffering now.

I think everyone was excited about what was going to happen. Money to spend, big names coming in. I think I was most excited when we signed Ronald De Boer who was already an international name playing for a great team.

Looking back now...Was it really worth it? 80Mil pound of debt and we never achieved anything we haven't done before (With less money). I do not think so. Would never encourage anything like this to happen again considering the failure that it was itself and the aftermath we are suffering now.

The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Domestically Advocaat did well for the first couple of seasons, then failed once O'Neill arrived at Parkhead (possibly a coincidence but I wouldn't be too sure). In Europe he underachieved (came close a few times - but no cigar).

Who remembers the thrasing we gave PSV at home?? 4-1 it was, Mols was amaing as were most of the lads. I remember for Mols' second he was about to come off with cramp but still ran the lenght of the PSV half to score.

Walked away from that game with no voice left, the noise was unbelievable

I would say that during the Advocaat era, it's the best we've looked when it came to European football. However the money spent didn't justify the way we ended up (financially).

Tactically when it came to Europe he was probably the best manager we've had (in recent times), he lost it bit in the SPL though.

Overall he didn't do the worst of jobs.

Great memories!!! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: The 'bouncy' was at its height to my mind!!!

His teams played a great style of Football - but when it came to geeing the players up for the 'physical' challenge of O'Neil, he was left wanting! Have to be honest though and say i liked him lots and was of a mind to divide the job (McLeish SPL - DA Europe) that would have been chancy and may not have been feasable but i still wonder about that... :huh:

To my mind the 2 games at Parkhead (in the League Cup Semi-Final, and the 0 -1 SPL game - 4 days apart in 2000-01) changed the balance of power in Scotland, as Celtic players used intimidation towards Rangers players, and match officials - while the footballing authorities did nothing to deter them!

To date, Rangers FC haven't responded to Celtic's grasp of 'Nazi - inspired' propaganda! No response equates to acceptance!

Had Rangers adopted a more aggressive attitude with Officialdom, O'Neil and thus Celtic Thugs wouldn't have got away with that intimidation and i think Advocaat would've seen off Martin O'Neil!!!! :pipegreen: But i suppose the seeds of acceptance were laid when we sacked Donald Finlay and when we didn't take them on after our Huddle... :p20:

Overspending... well the blame must lie with Murray!!!

The first 2 years were magic with a complete new team with Van Bronckhorst, Kanchelskis and even unsung heroes like Rod Wallace. It was even sweeter winning the title at the piggery, thrashing them 3-0. The next year was class aswell as Mols came and scored loads, 4 in 1 game against Motherwell. Its a shame he got that horrible injury as he could have been a legend. We beat Celtic nearly every time and we coasted the league again. Then it started to go downhill when our debts rose and we lost our way.

In Europe we were very unlucky, in the first season we beat some teams we wereexpected to beat and then we drew 1-1 with Leverkusen at home. The away leg was amazing as we won 2-1 to pull off a great European victory. We met our match though as Parma beat us 3-1 in Italy, even though we went 1-0 up. The season after that we had to enter in the qualifying stages and we beat some Finnish team, Haka I think it was and then we were drawn against Parma. We got our revenge from last season and won 2-1 on aggregate. Vidmar and Reyna scoring. Magical european night. The return leg in Italy we had to hold on for dear life and qualified to the lucrative group stages. We were drawn in the group of death against PSV, Bayern and Valencia. PSV proved no bother as we beat them 4-1 at home and 1-0 away with Albertz scoring in the last 10 minutes. We made Bayern look mortal as only a flukey last minute deflected free kick by Tarnat scraped a draw after Albertz put us ahead. In the Olympic Stadium, a Bayern player dived and they got a cheap penalty and they ultimately scored which was a real gutter. Valencia proved too good and we were out. The next season was more failure and bad luck as went out of the group stages again.

All in all, Advocaats time IMO was quite successful but we should have progressed further in the CL. Spending too much cost us in the end.

Footballing wise some of the best attacking football ever seen at ibrox

I agree

And some other great memories like Del doing that marking role in europe, and DA making Barry Captain was a biggy and signing Billy Dodds. He wasn't scared of buying homegrown

The reason we are in the state we are in today is because Advocaat was given to much leeway, had an easy ride when Barnes and Dalglish was in charge at porkheid, then o'squeal came along and bit him on the arse. He had 25 Dutch employed at Ibrox at one time and they raped the joint, won't go into detail but they did. Murray condoned it now he's trying to claw it back ? Hence Broadfoot, Gow etc. ! :sherlock:

Everybody seems to forget when Advocaat took over from Walter, They were hardly any players in the 1st team squad cause alot had either retired or left on the Bosman.

Sixteen players left that year.

Advocaat did what he thought was best for the club and so did Murray.

Unfortunately, we ended up in serious debt which Murray has only recently managed to get under control.

Although many of the stupid cunts on here want him to spend like that again.:doh:

Everybody seems to forget when Advocaat took over from Walter, They were hardly any players in the 1st team squad cause alot had either retired or left on the Bosman.

Sixteen players left that year.

Advocaat did what he thought was best for the club and so did Murray.

Unfortunately, we ended up in serious debt which Murray has only recently managed to get under control.

Although many of the stupid cunts on here want him to spend like that again.:doh:

Advocaat did what he thought was best for him and Murray aided and abetted ! Just say one thing got rid of Gattuso and brought in the likes of Konterman ! WTF ? :sherlock:

The reason we are in the state we are in today is because Advocaat was given to much leeway, had an easy ride when Barnes and Dalglish was in charge at porkheid, then o'squeal came along and bit him on the arse. He had 25 Dutch employed at Ibrox at one time and they raped the joint, won't go into detail but they did. Murray condoned it now he's trying to claw it back ? Hence Broadfoot, Gow etc. ! :sherlock:

Well reasoned argument (easy ride when Barnes and Dalglish in charge), O'Neil bit him on arse, 25 Dutch, raped Ibrox, no details.

Are you off the drugs now or are you sticking by this pish? :lol:

Well reasoned argument (easy ride when Barnes and Dalglish in charge), O'Neil bit him on arse, 25 Dutch, raped Ibrox, no details.

Stickin by it mate, Details are self explanatory Eh barnes and Dalglish made a cunt of it regularly! Hows Torre A Flo doin this weather ? £12m ? 4 to you 4 to me and 4 to ? Wake up and smell the coffee ! :sherlock:

Stickin by it mate, Details are self explanatory Eh barnes and Dalglish made a cunt of it regularly! Hows Torre A Flo doin this weather ? £12m ? 4 to you 4 to me and 4 to ? Wake up and smell the coffee ! :sherlock:

:lol: One player, is that it?:lol:

Come on, you can do better than that. :pipegreen:

:lol: One player, is that it?:lol:

Come on, you can do better than that. :pipegreen:

The two de boers were hand outs ! Ronald played mere golf than fitba ! Ricksen played wae charlie mere than he played fitba ! We only got about 6 months in total out of Numan rest of the time was injury ? Charbonnier gambled mere than he played for us and on and on and on ! :sherlock: