Ally included in celebrations?

The circumstances he worked under probably wont ever be replicated, so its hard to compare his tenure to anyone else. Shocking manager and the manner he dragged his contract out was pretty poor. However, he was part of the journey.

A newspaper take on it

Michael Gannon: Ally McCoist deserves a proper goodbye in front of the Ibrox crowd for holding Rangers together in dark times

10:30, 7 Apr 2016

Opinion

image: http://i3.<No links to this website>/incoming/article1499734.ece/ALTERNATES/s98/Michael-Gannon.jpg

by MichaelGannon

OUR man Michael Gannon reckons would be a disgrace if the former Gers gaffer is not invited to be part of the title celebrations.

977shares

Get daily news by email

image: http://i2.<No links to this website>/incoming/article7706193.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS16503355.jpg

Ally McCoist holds the IRN-BRU Scottish Third Division trophy following his team's victory over Berwick Rangers at Ibrox

WE don’t do walking away. A phrase that set the tone for the most turbulent period in Rangers history.

Now it’s time for the Ibrox club to complete the circle and bring back the man who uttered those five little words in the first place to come and enjoy the party – Ally McCoist.

Gers have just one home game left this Championship -winning season and it would be a disgrace if he is not invited to be part of it.

McCoist might not have lasted the entire journey but that’s the thing about monster treks. Ask anyone who’s loaded up the wagon and taken the family to Torquay. Everyone is at each other’s throats before they hit Gretna.

It didn’t end well for McCoist at Ibrox. There’s no point in sugar-coating his time in the dugout. There were some horrendous performances, bizarre formations and mind-boggling signings.

image: http://i1.<No links to this website>/incoming/article5801910.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS53718806.jpg

Ally McCoist

He was the best-paid manager in the country going up against gaffers who took training in their own time when they weren’t advising folk on mortgages or doing night shifts in taxis.

The stone-age football on show had punters shielding their eyes at times but none of that matters now.

Emotions are raw but when football historians in the future get around to trying to get their teeth into the last few bonkers years down Govan way, McCoist will have several chapters of his own.

They’ll see a guy who loved his club with every sinew of his body. A guy who may not have been Pep Guardiola but gave his all for the cause when others would have run a mile. A guy who deserves to have his legend status restored.

It was lost in the abysmal cup results and calamitous season in the Championship but McCoist was the often glue that held the place together.

No manager has ever had to work under the strains and pains he did at Ibrox.

SNS Group

image: http://i4.<No links to this website>/incoming/article6417711.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS50340941.jpg

Former Rangers manager Ally McCoist

The SFA coaching manual covers a fair whack but it doesn’t have a section on how to deal with half the stuff that was thrown his way.

McCoist allowed himself to be a figurehead and a punchbag at the same time. He rallied the fans in their darkest hour.

When no one had a clue whether there would be a football club at all let alone one that would sail through the bottom divisions with minimal fuss.

McCoist made mistakes. Of course he did. Rangers should have coasted those leagues, but they wouldn’t be heading to the Premiership with 50,000 fans in tow if it wasn’t for the man in charge back in 2012 holding things together.

It was his war cries that kept folk on board when thousands were sickened and could easily have chucked it. Even during his shambolic Championship season he had to deal with problems that would have most mangers reaching for the ejector seat.

McCoist had a succession of chancers and charlatans in the suits behind him yet was happy to take the heat and try to keep his players focused on the park.

SNS Group

image: http://i1.<No links to this website>/incoming/article6418302.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/GP34543917.jpg

Ally McCoist and Dave King

It didn’t always work. The journey took a detour to drop him off before they got back on track under Mark Warburton.

But Rangers fans should not forget the role McCoist played in the rebirth of the club. Greatest goalscorer. Loyal servant. Club icon. His managerial stint should not diminish those achievements – and there’s a feeling they don’t.

Rangers fans are celebrating right now but the way things ended with the man they hailed as Super Ally doesn’t sit well with a lot of them. The undignified end to his time in charge has left a nagging sense some things need put right. McCoist was hung out to dry by a cynical, selfish boardroom in disarray.

Some say he shouldn’t have gone on gardening leave. Quit the job, waive the right to the pay off and spill the beans on the behind-the-scenes problems. It’s a fair point.

But there were legal issues involved. It’s one thing saying goodbye to your wages, another to get sued as well.

SNS Group

image: http://i1.<No links to this website>/incoming/article7307293.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS53335875.jpg

Ally McCoist

One day McCoist will reveal all. No doubt it’ll be a best-seller. But in the meantime he’s kept his own counsel and any time he’s spoken about the club it’s been complimentary. No
bitterness. Just a humble guy who gave it a shot and fell short.

He suffered abuse from the stands but took it on the chin. Sliding out of Murray Park in a blacked out 4x4 was no way to say goodbye.

McCoist deserves to be paraded on the pitch in the game with Alloa in a few weeks. The Ibrox fans deserve the chance to pay tribute to one of their heroes and welcome him back into the fold.

Families might feud on the journey but they always kiss and make up when they reach the destination.

Read more at http://www.<No links to this website>/opinion/sport/michael-gannon-ally-mccoist-deserves-7706251#SIvCC710oi36JCfT.99

1 minute ago, _mcv_ said:

Was bad the way he dragged out his contract when we needed the money.  Hopefully the full story does come out.

He does have a better record as a manager than Warburton.

Failed in 3 attempts at the Ramsdens though. Gubbed when he reached the Championship. Winning lots of games in league 2 and 3 with the squad he had wasnt so difficult.

He can celebrate in the stands like a fan would, but I wouldn't have a problem with the legend that was McCoist invited along to certain functions, providing he's there as an ex player, the sooner he and we are able to differentiate the two player/manager roles the better.

Still not forgiven him, but what's done is done, I still get excited watching his goals back. He's entitled to celebrate and if the club want him along to certain functions that's fine

7 minutes ago, GTMLivo said:

The things I'm reading about a Rangers legend on this page is fucking sickening...
If you don't like him as a manager fair enough but hes super Ally Mcoist have some fucking respect for the man so called Rangers fans my arse

Fantastic player, shit manager, and money was his god

17 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Personally I would have been ok with it if he had not continued to take hundreds of thousands of pounds for sitting on his arse after he was removed.

But when he did that he is dead to me forever

It is ok to be simply not up to the job but it is unforgivable to do what he did

Agree completely, don't have an issue with him being a poor manager.

Have a huge issue with him waiting until his gravy train was coming to end before taking another job.