Durrant gone?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we really care. There is no room for sentiment in the modern game.You need to get the best you can and I don't think that is Durrant.If he is away I assume his contract is up so the search for his replacement shall begin or perhaps mr warburton has his replacement already set up.

2 hours ago, AlBear85 said:

If Durrant is so bad a coach why was he continuously employed under McLeish, Le Guen, Smith, McCoist and Warburton?

Sentiment perhaps? The guy is a much beloved Rangers icon; One of those (except Smith and McCoist because that's their pal) binning him would have harmed their relationship with the Gers support? 

The fact remains throughout the years there has been hardly any youth players coming through who have made a real stamp on the first team for a good number of seasons or sold on for a tarrier transfer fee. That's got to change.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

I dont personally know if he was a good coach or not but a succession of Managers must have thought he was to keep him on,

There may be a point in what you say but some of the previous managers didn't exactly set the heather on fire themselves and if true that he is gone the current manager who is the most important man in this obviously doesn't think he is the man for the youth coach job or he would be keeping him.

14 minutes ago, blueretro said:

I think everyone would agree that this is long overdue.

Really?

Not one person on this thread actually knows for sure if he was good at his job or not, but here we all are with the 'about time' and 'good riddance' type comments. Based on what?

He's Blue He's White he's fucking dynamite......

Will always remember his  performance in the 3-3 cup final against the sheep, he was top quality that day, and his goal celebration against the mhanks (I think)  when he ran straight past Davie Cooper who was waiting open arms to congratulate him :lol:

What a team we had back then with Durrant , Cooper, McCoist, wee Fleck, Souness ect :drool:

Good luck Ian and thanks for the memories, a Rangers legend in my eyes.

I think one thing we can all agree on regardless of his coaching is wishing him all the best 

theres been no scandals, no walk aways, no spivary, no bad mouthing of the club 

all the best Ian 

49 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I think one thing we can all agree on regardless of his coaching is wishing him all the best 

theres been no scandals, no walk aways, no spivary, no bad mouthing of the club 

all the best Ian 

Spot on and what a great player he was,  box to box before injury incredible,  after injury still a fantastic player

First saw him and Derek Fergus on playing in the Tennant Sixes in Ingleton a long time ago and he was a stand out even then.  Great player and would've genuinely been World Class if that bustard Simpson hadn't crippled him. Good luck Durranty in whatever you do in the future. He's one of our own.

:rangers:

On the "he was a great player -- natural ability but not a good coach line..."

The great American basketball player Michael Jordan was either quoted or... spoken to someone ... that he used to look around the dressing room and think  "Why can't they do what I do?"

When you are gifted... it all seems so easy.  Maybe Ian was a bit like that?

Anyway, best of luck to him.  True GER (tu)

15 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Durrant and BOMBER WERE TO COACHING WHAT Sweeney Todd was to hairdressing.  

Always remember that Durant was one of the most naturally gifted players I have seen in a Rangers jersey.  Nothing Durrant did was taught it all just came naturally to him.  PerhaPs he thought all youngsters were like that making him a poor coach?

Pretty much covers my own thoughts on Durrant. Completely instinctual on the park, so how can he translate that for players with half his ability given most of what he done he did so without having to think? A bit of a conundrum.

18 hours ago, johanhentze said:

In my experience.. some of the greatest musicians were the worst teachers. The good teachers had usually had technical, amongst others, problems to deal with and overcome. Durrant might be like that.. very natural.

I have heard this about you and your teaching..... :pipe:

7 hours ago, cpm1979 said:

If true, what about Ian Cathro as a replacement? Problems at Newcastle, was heavily linked with the managers position last summer, bring him on board as part of the new back ground team?

Would be great if we could get him but I think he would probly see himself more of a manager or no.2