Joey Barton at Rangers training ground

WMT

MARK Warburton revealed he was looking to add “some experience, some maturity and some physicality” to his Rangers midfield as he closes in on the signing of Joey Barton. The 33 year-old, soon to become a free agent, was in Glasgow for talks yesterday and was shown around the club’s training ground and stadium by assistant manager Davie Weir. Barton had been widely expected to sign a new contract with Burnley after playing a significant role as they won the English Championship this season but, with only a one-year extension on the table and Barton wanting a longer deal, the door has opened for Rangers to make their move.

The former Manchester City, Newcastle and QPR player would be their second signing of the week following the recruitment of Jordan Rossiter from Liverpool. And while Barton’s age means he does not fit in with Rangers’ strategy of targeting younger players with the potential to improve, Warburton admitted he also needed to balance that with more experienced figures.

“We have to get players in who can add value and quality,” he said. “But I think it is important to add some experience, some maturity and some physicality as well. There are not many out there but we are getting closer and finger crossed we can nail one down sometime soon.”

Would be a class act for us 

"Twitters" Joey Barton. Bang average player. Hasn't had a particularly good career. 

His attempts to reinvent himself so that people who read The Guardian will like him are cringeworthy. 

Thick little scouse cunt who doesn't realise he's a thick little scouse cunt.

17 hours ago, gmcf said:

Sick of saying players would be shite for us then they go and prove me wrong . 

So im saying nothing :D 

That's one thing I don't mind being proved wrong about. :)

8 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Always good to give Scott Brown somebody he will be on a wee personal mission to try to wind up.

He thinks it's a personal battle. Brown loses plot and gets carded, and at the same time the team he's supposed to be leading has no leader.

See also Diouf ;)

JB has done a few regrettable things but it's unfair to compare him to that obnoxious scum bag.

8 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Always good to give Scott Brown somebody he will be on a wee personal mission to try to wind up.

He thinks it's a personal battle. Brown loses plot and gets carded, and at the same time the team he's supposed to be leading has no leader.

See also Diouf ;)

22 minutes ago, Briton said:

JB has done a few regrettable things but it's unfair to compare him to that obnoxious scum bag.

Brown or Diouf ?         I liked wee Dioufy.       Was brought here at a difficult time to deflect the wind-ups we were getting from all over the place, and played well for us.  And off the park he was apparently a genuine character and a gentleman. 

As for Brown...........

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Brown or Diouf ?         I liked wee Dioufy.       Was brought here at a difficult time to deflect the wind-ups we were getting from all over the place, and played well for us.  And off the park he was apparently a genuine character and a gentleman. 

As for Brown...........

Diouf...cunt of a 'man'. As is lego of course.

5 minutes ago, tannerall said:

As for Brown...........

They will all be playing out their skin against us next year.

Barton could deflect a lot of heat and allow the rest of the team to play.

2 minutes ago, cameron1873 said:

If it a 3 year deal that's crazy imo for a 33yr old. Might work out but on paper not great 

Sensible thing would be a 2 year with a 3rd triggered on appearances in year 2. 36/37 is no great age for his type of player its not as though pace is a huge asset for him.

1 minute ago, RFC Eagle said:

Sensible thing would be a 2 year with a 3rd triggered on appearances in year 2. 36/37 is no great age for his type of player its not as though pace is a huge asset for him.

I agree 2 year deal is a lot more sensible. I understand they have to make it more attractive with the duration of the contract as we can't match wages but we should not compromise on sense either 

15 minutes ago, Vwbear said:

Like to see people call diouf a cunt at parkhead when he got the great reception off the fans at the rnd of the shame game caused by there cheating 

Grow up with the veiled threats of violence FFS. In any case, I wouldn't call any Rangers player a cunt at a match, I support the team.  I wouldn't have joined in the 'reception' though.  I despise the twat and wished he never pulled on the shirt.

People have been moaning all season saying we were missing an experienced holding midfielder and now MW is on the verge of signing one and people are still moaning. He has had a chequered past, so did gazza and big Dunc, but he seems to have calmed down and more recently he has hit the headlines for his on field skill rather than off field antics.IMO he would be a welcome asset to the team and I trust everything MW does. Look at the players he has brought in and name one which has been a mistake, I can't think of one.