Joey Barton at Rangers training ground

WMT

6 minutes ago, Barasa said:

The mind boggles who our CF signing might be.

Well Zlatan Ibrahimovic is going to be a free agent at the end of the season :D anyway regarding Barton too many people are too quick to judge because of his history.  He has done very well at Burnley and there is no reason why he can't do very well for us.

Not too long ago we wouldn't have been seriously linked with someone of his playing calibre so why don't people just wait on two things:

1. If he does actually end up signing for us.

and

2. What he actually does on the pitch for us.

Just now, EatDolphins said:

This better be alot of shite. He's a horrible cunt and doesn't belong in our colours. 

He's a good player mate even though he's a cunt!! Would take him in a heartbeat!!

1 hour ago, Barasa said:

Really can't see how we can afford Barton, unless he's playing for fun. Are we his Scottish team or something?

I'm sure there was a quote in the "Ricky Hatton is a Ger" thread about how Fowler and Barton brought Hatton to Ibrox to watch a game but he didn't like it. So he might very well be a Rangers supporter - although there must be a record number of contradictory posts in that thread so I wouldn't take that as anywhere near true.

1 hour ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

Well Zlatan Ibrahimovic is going to be a free agent at the end of the season :D anyway regarding Barton too many people are too quick to judge because of his history.  He has done very well at Burnley and there is no reason why he can't do very well for us.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11820/10280005/zlatan-ibrahimovic-confirms-paris-saint-germain-departure

Maybe??? :)

There are things I like about this a lot, but I also have concerns...

Burnley are a small club but they have just become a Premiership side and Barton will be on high wages. The fact he would consider a wage cut and giving up EPL football to come to us shows that he is football man who understands that we are a big club where he can perform and win things. I like that sort of attitude. 

I have severe reservations about his character though, in terms of how he can represent Rangers. That said I always felt he is underrated as a footballer, and if it wasn't for off field problems would certainly have had more England caps and probably played for better EPL clubs. That said we have had guys before with questionable off field antics....most notably Gazza in my time watching us. With good man management from Walter we saw him produce some of the best football of his career. If MW is able to do this with Barton he could be an inspired signing. With us also signing Rossiter and Crooks though, we've gone from a light midfield to one potentially with too many players in the DM position.

1 hour ago, gogzy said:

Few people in the transfer forum reckon this is a done deal.

If we can get the best out of him, then there is no doubt he could be a player for us.  I have my worries that he can't be tamed though.

Seems to have steadied down a bit & is playing well.

Heard him on the radio a bit recently - comes across as much more intelligent than some of his earlier escapades would lead you to believe.

That said, he'd be like a lightning conductor for all the wind-up merchants in the SPL!

Is getting plenty publicity, which I think is the plan, and then he'll sign for another club that become aware of his situation. (I hope that's what happens. Anyone that stubs a cigar out on a fellow players face would not meet with Mr Struth's approval).

Joey Barton is a class above anything we've got at the moment and if he's genuinely a more mature man these days then great. But . . . regardless of any of that, as soon as he steps on the park he'll be a marked man with the refs here. Fuck sake, Halliday got sent off for a clenched fist in the centre of the park imagine what they'd card Barton for. 

I've seen it happen with Diouf and Muscat. As soon as a player with a negative reputation from the English game comes north he's public enemy no 1. 

2 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

There are things I like about this a lot, but I also have concerns...

Burnley are a small club but they have just become a Premiership side and Barton will be on high wages. The fact he would consider a wage cut and giving up EPL football to come to us shows that he is football man who understands that we are a big club where he can perform and win things. I like that sort of attitude. 

I have severe reservations about his character though, in terms of how he can represent Rangers. That said I always felt he is underrated as a footballer, and if it wasn't for off field problems would certainly have had more England caps and probably played for better EPL clubs. That said we have had guys before with questionable off field antics....most notably Gazza in my time watching us. With good man management from Walter we saw him produce some of the best football of his career. If MW is able to do this with Barton he could be an inspired signing. With us also signing Rossiter and Crooks though, we've gone from a light midfield to one potentially with too many players in the DM position.

He wants a contract longer than 1 year. A 2 year contract for a 33 year old is good stability for him. I've seen he's only on 13k a week at Burnley and he has consistently said the past year money isn't his motivation anymore. 

I think he knows he would get the runaround in the prem next season and fancies working with McParland and potentially Europe. If he keeps the head, like he has done the past year he's gona be a quality asset for Rossiter, Crooks etc. Also on that point I think Crooks will now play CB or CAM