Joey Barton at Rangers training ground

WMT

23 minutes ago, EatDolphins said:

This better be alot of shite. He's a horrible cunt and doesn't belong in our colours. 

Whether he will actually be signing or not is still a matter of debate but it is a fact that they are in negotiations with him.

Joey Barton: Rangers make move to sign Burnley midfielder for free

Rangers have made a move to sign Burnley midfielder Joey Barton on a free transfer this summer.

The 33-year-old was shown round the club's Auchenhowie training ground on Saturday. Talks will continue and a deal could be imminent.

Barton was named in the Championship team of the season as Burnley secured the title.

He has yet to agree a new deal with Burnley and could be tempted by a longer term contract at Ibrox.

Rangers manager Mark Warburton is keen to add some experience and character to his squad in preparation for their return to the Premiership.

Barton, who won one England cap, was named player of the year at Burnley this season.

The former Manchester City, Newcastle, QPR and Marseille player joined the club when Frank McParland was the sporting director.

McParland is now head of recruitment at Ibrox, and will be an influential figure as Barton weighs up his options.

The transfer runs counter to Rangers' recruitment strategy of signing players with the potential to develop and rise in value.

But Barton is a player McParland knows well and Warburton prefers to sign individuals whose nature and character he is already aware of.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36293572

6 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

There are things I like about this a lot, but I also have concerns...

Burnley are a small club but they have just become a Premiership side and Barton will be on high wages. The fact he would consider a wage cut and giving up EPL football to come to us shows that he is football man who understands that we are a big club where he can perform and win things. I like that sort of attitude. 

I have severe reservations about his character though, in terms of how he can represent Rangers. That said I always felt he is underrated as a footballer, and if it wasn't for off field problems would certainly have had more England caps and probably played for better EPL clubs. That said we have had guys before with questionable off field antics....most notably Gazza in my time watching us. With good man management from Walter we saw him produce some of the best football of his career. If MW is able to do this with Barton he could be an inspired signing. With us also signing Rossiter and Crooks though, we've gone from a light midfield to one potentially with too many players in the DM position.

We're probably losing a few midfielders as well. Ball, Zelalem, Shiels and Law. I know you said the DM position but you could make a strong argument that DM isn't Halliday's favoured position.

At the end of the day it's up to Warburton and so far he's done well on the signing front. If he does sign I doubt if there will be too many taking a kick at our younger players for the fear that Barton will see them go home via a hospital to get their broken legs set. If he played for us the way he played last season there wouldn't be a better holding midfielder in the league

1 hour ago, gogzy said:

Few people in the transfer forum reckon this is a done deal.

If we can get the best out of him, then there is no doubt he could be a player for us.  I have my worries that he can't be tamed though.

Why would we want to tame him? He's combative - playing well - just the steel we need and his record is no where near as bad as folk make out. 

1 minute ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Some of the people calling him a scumbag and a cunt must be the sort of people who never in their life got into a fight or in any trouble or have any previous. 100% lilly white angels.

Ive done worse that barton ever will, so will concentrate on the football side, think this could be an inspired signing, guys easily got two or three years left at a high level, isn't a money grabber, his experience and bite would be invaluable both in the league and in Europe.

I'm no angel but I've never put a fag out in someone's eye or battered a defenceless guy with my mates because I was steaming. And if that wasn't bad enough he's an open taig. Fuck that.