We have a lean squad but half of the current first team squad need replaced

JWAC

9 minutes ago, jim white's a bear said:

I probably didn't express my OP clearly ;) It's the thing that MW always says about having a lean squad, we won't be able to get rid of those who probably aren't good enough because they're on contracts but I still can't see him having them having around not playing. 

He's been pretty quick to tell players they won't get games (like McGregor).

I didn't even mention Fodderingham

I think we have to be patient and accept that shaping the squad will will be a gradual process.

With Law, Templeton & Clark already gone and hopefully Bell & Shiels to follow we have lost the last bits of deadwood from McCoists squad and we wee replacing them with better players.

People might not be Keen on the idea of players like Kiernan, Wilson & Halliday being key first team players but they have shown enough this season to suggest that they can easily be in and around our squad (in the roles that McCoists players did this season) and do a job if required.

People who think we are going to reach a position where we have a couple of top level quality players for every position are living in a dream land IMO.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the whole Warburton was expedient in his recruitment of players and his use of the existing team last season, in the hope that it would be enough to win the Championship. He let players run down their contracts, and he bought potential mainly. I think he will go for something different for next season, with a couple of experienced players to add to what he has. Once he has who he wants then I think he will bring in loanees of good quality as well. It wouldn't surprise me if one of his loan deals involved a full-back.

1 minute ago, yermaw145 said:

Tavernier ? Replaced ? Get a fuckin grip.

He got ripped by that cunt stokes a good few times, that first goal if he was a decent defender he'd have at least tackled him. 

I can't remember an attack down the right he won. Look, I loved the way he played at the start of the season but since maybe even november he's had a few really dodgy games. It's not just about him though, our defence is rank.

We will not win the top tier with the two central defenders we have.

Yes we also need cover for left back, but we actually need a right back. Because one is good at going forward, it does not make you a defender and Tav's hasn't even slept with one. He doesn't have the attributes. He has no defensive positional sense and couldn't tackle a fish supper. It's that simple.

9 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

We certainly need cover at left and right back - if either injured who steps in? 

Also someone good up front and central! 

I'm surpirsed he's not looked at Hodson at Kilmarnock as cover for full back.

Came through at Watford and had a spell at Brentford, is a full international for Northern Ireland and he can play at both right and left back.

He's not a world beater who will rip up any trees by any means but with Tav & Wallace being nailed on starters a solid, reliable player who the gaffer knows relatively well would seem like the best option to provide cover for them.

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I think we have to be patient and accept that shaping the squad will will be a gradual process.

With Law, Templeton & Clark already gone and hopefully Bell & Shiels to follow we have lost the last bits of deadwood from McCoists squad and we wee replacing them with better players.

People might not be Keen on the idea of players like Kiernan, Wilson & Halliday being key first team players but they have shown enough this season to suggest that they can easily be in and around our squad (in the roles that McCoists players did this season) and do a job if required.

People who think we are going to reach a position where we have a couple of top level quality players for every position are living in a dream land IMO.

One in each position would be good and we then might have a chance of knocking the scum of their perch and we start as a priority with replacing three of the four in the back line. If we don't be prepared for disappointment if you expect us to win the league.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I'm surpirsed he's not looked at Hodson at Kilmarnock as cover for full back.

Came through at Watford and had a spell at Brentford, is a full international for Northern Ireland and he can play at both right and left back.

He's not a world beater who will rip up any trees by any means but with Tav & Wallace being nailed on starters a solid, reliable player who the gaffer knows relatively well would seem like the best option to provide cover for them.

He was just a loan deal at Killie,  was it mk dons he came from?

We need both cover for every position and competition for places. We have that in midfield now.

I would expect to see a keeper, at least two defenders and a striker to be signed before the window closes.

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

We need both cover for every position and competition for places. We have that in midfield now.

I would expect to see a keeper, at least two defenders and a striker to be signed before the window closes.

Is cammy bell's contract not up soon as well? Fod has been a better keeper than we've had the last 4 years but he's unfortunatley not that great either. 

31 minutes ago, jim white's a bear said:

Is cammy bell's contract not up soon as well? Fod has been a better keeper than we've had the last 4 years but he's unfortunatley not that great either. 

Bell isn't good enough, Foderingham is a decent keeper but I'm not 100% convinced about him. We need at least a good understudy but preferably someone who will provide competition. Let's face it last season Foderingham was never getting dropped no matter what, every player is better for knowing that there is someone waiting in the wings to take their place if they don't perform.

Tavernier wasn't the only one who had a nightmare on Saturday. In my view the only two who got pass marks were Miller and Zelalem.If we are going to punt guys out of the team on individual games by games then all but the two mentioned should be punted and granted Zelalem is already away.Wallace and McKay offered and did nothing down the left,Halliday and Holt did very little in the middle and Waghorn clearly wasn't fit or up to the task.The whole team looked tired and slack not just one or two individual players but seems that certain individual players get most of the stick for the full teams lack of performance.

Half the squad being replaced, in my opinion, is a bit over the top.

We all know defensively we need improvements but I dont think its a drastic as some think.  Kiernan & WIlson are both decent centre halves but they are too similar and in recent weeks they have struggled to play together.  I think we need a quick ball playing centre half to play alongside one of them.  That would compliment the partnership better than having 2 old fashioned types trying to play the MW wants us to. 

Maybe if we are interested in recruiting a central defender we could look to sign a player who wouldn't necessarily be an automatic first choice, but would have SPL experience, and be willing to play for a place in the team. Someone like Brian Easton of St. Johnstone; again a slight Burnley link. Someone like him might be a good addition in a playing squad sense.

I think midfield to front is good..

O Halloran will adapt during pre season and with Forester,McKay,Miller,Windas,Waghorn and maybe 1 more poacher we're fine..Midfield is fine with Barton,Rossiter and Crooks joining..maybe add 1 more with pace to go box to box.

Personally i'd play Tav right midfield and get another 3 defenders..a right full back and 2 imposing centre halves.1 Wes Morgan esq and another more like John Stones who can play..

A squad of 22 i think would do it

Can't quite understand the stick given to Tav. He got injured early on in the SCF and we had little choice but for him to carry on given the bench we had. Yes, he had a terrible game (as did others) and yes he needs to improve in some areas but over the season made a terrific contribution to our success including against them and other SPL teams. We do need more competition in defence but FFS, give him a break, he's an awful lot better than a Broadfoot or a Whittaker. 

The guys coming in need to be first team regulars, we have decent subs/squad players in our first team just now, MW should not be identifying players in this window who he thinks will not be regular starters. The time for adding squad players is Jan. 

Furthermore - MOH doesn't enjoy playing with Tav.

Tav likes to get forward and MOH gets in his road half the time then struggles to find positions to allow Tav the space, making MOH look bad. These two should not be on the same wing. Tav's goal tally next season will be nothing like this season, his first job is to defend not score goals and if he doesn't start defending properly I can see him being replaced.

I speak and type into the internet with some authority which makes me sound like I defo's know what I am talking about. :pipe:

11 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Waghorn's didn't affect us that much at all IMO. I thought Miller and then Forrester stepped up to the plate significantly. His injury was an awkward landing on a honking pitch

Forresters injury had a worse impact, I think we missed his drive and technical ability a lot, especially at the weekend. His injury was a very poor tackle so take they two injuries into account any others have been niggles, no long term ones with pulled hamstrings etc, which I think is down to training and the medical staff

I agree. People forget how bad Waghorne's form was leading up to the injury. He had only a couple of decent performances in the previous dozen or so games. 

We currently need around 6/7 more players with 4 of them being of the standard or better than what we have already.

The lean squad bit us on the arse this season, our subs bench was woeful in the semi and final in the cup.

That will cost a fair bit so a few of them will no doubt be free transfers like Barton I'd imagine.

We now have options for the DM position which should help protect the defence more (we were much tighter with Ball there instead of Halliday this season for example).

I still think we need to get someone in who is better than Kiernan. Maybe even two. Cover for the full backs is required also - is there anyone decent in the youths that could do a job? McCrorie?

The cup-tied guys certainly didn't help with the weak bench in the semi and the final. Hopefully lessons are learned and we don't go for anyone from Scottish football in January.

1 hour ago, TheMurray83 said:

Half the squad being replaced, in my opinion, is a bit over the top.

We all know defensively we need improvements but I dont think its a drastic as some think.  Kiernan & WIlson are both decent centre halves but they are too similar and in recent weeks they have struggled to play together.  I think we need a quick ball playing centre half to play alongside one of them.  That would compliment the partnership better than having 2 old fashioned types trying to play the MW wants us to. 

Decent? Recent weeks?

Both have little positional awareness, can't tackle , not dominant in the air, not imposing and slow as a week in the jail. When put under pressure they both toil as they have in such games all season. Noth of them give you confidence With all those attributes, they will go down a storm in the top tier!

31 minutes ago, Misteral said:

Can't quite understand the stick given to Tav. He got injured early on in the SCF and we had little choice but for him to carry on given the bench we had. Yes, he had a terrible game (as did others) and yes he needs to improve in some areas but over the season made a terrific contribution to our success including against them and other SPL teams. We do need more competition in defence but FFS, give him a break, he's an awful lot better than a Broadfoot or a Whittaker. 

Sure he has been good going forward all season, it's just that he can't defend, which is his actual job. Hivs and others, have shown just how bad he is as a defender. He isn't one.