We have a lean squad but half of the current first team squad need replaced

JWAC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Sure he has been good going forward all season, it's just that he can't defend, which is his actual job. Hivs and others, have shown just how bad he is as a defender. He isn't one.

fux sake you are talking too much sense this morning.:pipe:

Tav's job is to defend first, his eye for a goal and his positional sense regarding that costs us at times. A no nonsense RB is a must - leave the goals to our forwards please

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

Sure he has been good going forward all season, it's just that he can't defend, which is his actual job. Hivs and others, have shown just how bad he is as a defender. He isn't one.

Football is full of full backs who can't defend now. It's not just a problem we have.

The ones who can attack and defend in equal measure cost money that we aren't going to have.

If given the choice between an attacking full back like Tav or a more conservative full back in the Broadfoot mould I'd take Tav every single time because the way we play means they are going to be encouraged to bomb on at any given opportunity because that's key to the managers style.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Football is full of full backs who can't defend now. It's not just a problem we have.

The ones who can attack and defend in equal measure cost money that we aren't going to have.

If given the choice between an attacking full back like Tav or a more conservative full back in the Broadfoot mould I'd take Tav every single time because the way we play means they are going to be encouraged to bomb on at any given opportunity because that's key to the managers style.

I think you need both in a squad, something we just don't have.

At the weekend when it was obvious after 10 minutes that Tav was going to get an absolute pounding down that side we had no answers. If we had an actual right back on the bench that would have made a huge difference to that game.

I'd keep Tav but I'd also be looking for someone who can actually defend because there are going to be games where Tav will be brutally exposed like last week.

6 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

If we are going to do anything in the top tier, we need a solid defence as any team does. That's the priority. If it doesn't happen, expectations will need to be lowered or massive disappointment will ensue.

Have you seen Celtic's defence:lol:

Just now, DBBTB said:

we shipped 20 goals since March and have not won a game since we beat that lot, I think teams have cottoned on how to score against us. Once they cotton on how to defend against us then we are in trouble...

Regardless of whether or not this subject has been covered and whether or not you agree with the points of the OP in entirety I think the thread title itself actually should give us optimism or at least be seen in part as a good thing, let me explain;

IF we take the thread title at face value as being accurate then it's a good thing because it's better to have a small squad in which half the players are not good enough than a big squad with the same problem. Far easier to add players that are good enough to a small squad making those that are not good enough a smaller percentage of the whole than having a big squad in which half the players are not good enough, for then you have to offload more deadwood (easier said than done as we all know) and handle a bigger strain on the finances as your big squad becomes even bigger in an attempt to improve the quality of it.

Warburton and the club ran with a lean squad last season at least in part to avoid the latter part of the above paragraph. Imagine we signed a squad of 30 for last season in the Scottish Championship on the back of Ally's pension syndicate, the quality that we'd likely be stuck with on 2 and 3 year deals and the costs involved even by this stage! Imagine then trying to bring in quality players throughout the team at the extra cost that would incur while trying to punt 15-20 players of Nicky Clark's capability knowing that they'll sit tight unless a longer deal for similar wages is presented to them. We had to loan Blackpool Charlie Adam for 6 months before they were willing to agree to part with under £500k for a man that had just prior been scoring 20 yard digs in Europe as Rangers were winning the title of the top division in this country and doing respectably in Europe.

We are in a position (at least in theory, we don't really know what our true budget is) whereby we can bring in players of the needed quality and don't have to offload a sea of deadwood, those players deemed not good enough can fallback to being back up players who should (once again in theory) be fighting to regain their place all the while meaning that we have the right squad size for our aims.

Even if we all believe we only have a half a first team at present for the season ahead, the glass is half full rather than half empty (or even smashed covered in blood on the bar floor). The time to worry is if and when the window shuts and we still are only 'half-full', then we can rightfully be concerned. Barton's signature signals intent and most likely the start of the 'quality' players coming in that relegates current first team contenders to the squad position of Gavin Rae (to give an example from the past). 

1 hour ago, Gaffbear said:

I think midfield to front is good..

O Halloran will adapt during pre season and with Forester,McKay,Miller,Windas,Waghorn and maybe 1 more poacher we're fine..Midfield is fine with Barton,Rossiter and Crooks joining..maybe add 1 more with pace to go box to box.

Personally i'd play Tav right midfield and get another 3 defenders..a right full back and 2 imposing centre halves.1 Wes Morgan esq and another more like John Stones who can play..

A squad of 22 i think would do it

We don't play with a right midfielder (or left). It's 4-3-3 using wingers.

You also say ' like John Stones'.  Don't think we have a spare £30m

1 hour ago, smell the glove said:

We don't play with a right midfielder (or left). It's 4-3-3 using wingers.

You also say ' like John Stones'.  Don't think we have a spare £30m

Not John Stones ffs...like him..a ball playing centre half and a no nonsense one like wes  Morgan