RIP Muhammed Ali

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Posted in the otherthread that Boxing and sport in general will never have an icon like him again . Still love watching the the old interviews he done on British tv like michael parkinson . A truly amazing human .

To me there have been a few boxers who were his equal as a boxer , some as a fighter , and some had as big a personality . Nobody though had the mix of all three that made him unique .

Leonard fought Heanrs ,Hagler and Duran and beat them all. And came back and fought after an operation for a detached retina.Leonard had it all. 

Ali said he is the greatest, so who the fuck am i to disagree......

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sad news. Ali been huge impact on boxing . they never such boxer made such impact than ali has. brillant boxer and original trash talker aswell. if was no for ali we would never had mike tyson . in tyson book he says meeting ali in childrens home got him into boxing .

2 minutes ago, ShaneRalfRoss said:

sad news. Ali been huge impact on boxing . they never such boxer made such impact than ali has. brillant boxer and original trash talker aswell. if was no for ali we would never had mike tyson . in tyson book he says meeting ali in childrens home got him into boxing .

Tyson is a soft cunt.

7 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

Leonard fought Heanrs ,Hagler and Duran and beat them all. And came back and fought after an operation for a detached retina.Leonard had it all. 

Leonard is definitely one of the best in history , but while I accept he had a huge profile in the USA , I don't think he transcended the sport in the way Ali does .

2 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Leonard is definitely one of the best in history , but while I accept he had a huge profile in the USA , I don't think he transcended the sport in the way Ali does .

He did for me. spose it's a generational thing like some with Tyson and Mayweather. Leonard also kicked Mayweather seniors cunt in the ring some young uns may not know.

18 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

He did for me. spose it's a generational thing like some with Tyson and Mayweather. Leonard also kicked Mayweather seniors cunt in the ring some young uns may not know.

I think that the era of Leonard , Hearns , Duran and Hagler was a great time for boxing fans and to my mind won't be surpassed . Four guys who could all stake a decent claim to be the best on the planet , fighting each other . I don't know if you've read the book about those times " The four kings " I'm sure . Well worth looking out for . Tyson in his prime before don king got his claws on him was awesome , well remember getting up at three in the morning midweek to watch him destroy guys in under 2 minutes , then trying to stay awake before starting day shift at 6 . And all on council tv .

I think that the era of Leonard , Hearns , Duran and Hagler was a great time for boxing fans and to my mind won't be surpassed . Four guys who could all stake a decent claim to be the best on the planet , fighting each other . I don't know if you've read the book about those times " The four kings " I'm sure . Well worth looking out for . Tyson in his prime before don king got his claws on him was awesome , well remember getting up at three in the morning midweek to watch him destroy guys in under 2 minutes , then trying to stay awake before starting day shift at 6 . And all on council tv .

No mass....

2 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

On a more serious note, I'm struggling to remember Tyson's mentor's name. The proper old boy?

1 minute ago, CoopsLaud said:

No mass....

Haha , I can remember we knew the result before getting to see the fight , and guys couldn't believe that Duran would chuck it , they thought it was a fix to get another fight . After watching Leonard humiliate him it was a different story , he broke old hands of stone 's heart that night .

Cus D'amato was the old guy who mentored Tyson , Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs ( i think that was his name ) were his managers and Kevin Rooney his trainer when he was at his devastating best . D'amato is supposed to be the one that the old trainer in the original rocky films was based on .

Haha , I can remember we knew the result before getting to see the fight , and guys couldn't believe that Duran would chuck it , they thought it was a fix to get another fight . After watching Leonard humiliate him it was a different story , he broke old hands of stone 's heart that night .

Cus D'amato was the old guy who mentored Tyson , Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs ( i think that was his name ) were his managers and Kevin Rooney his trainer when he was at his devastating best . D'amato is supposed to be the one that the old trainer in the original rocky films was based on .

Thanks for that Fred.:541:

6 hours ago, CoopsLaud said:

Spot on , Leonard was the greatest of all time , and not a racist.

I also think as many do that a young Tyson would have knocked him clean out.