Lack of transfer fees..

6 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

and therein lies the rub!

Our single biggest weakness is in central defence and that should be the priority and a pensioner from QPR won't cut it.

Do you not trust Warburton and the backroom team to do their job? 

Only yesterday were we getting linked with a defender in Mariappa. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

99% of you haven't watched any player we have signed for over 5 games. So how can you say they are pish already or aren't good enough to win us the league?

It gets boring listening to the same drivel from Fifa managers online who automatically claim players aren't good because of their name:lol: Or because the SPL is La Liga quality?:lol:

Money rarely = success and that's not counting the money on fees, wages and compensation already. 

People are wanting us to spend just for the sake of it. 

The manager has said before money doesn't guarantee quality and that if he did have a £5m transfer kitty he wouldn't be looking to spend it all for the sake of it.

If MW is happy with the transfer dealings then why can't the fans accept it?

This is what a football forum is though if we had no opinions or were like the sheep on other forums there would be no point coming on. We all think we know best that's what being a football supporter is.

19 minutes ago, PRW. said:

There is 2 months left of this transfer window. 

Cunts are crazy.

So you dont see the trend here then?

MW forever goes on about wanting his business done early for a full pre season working with his squad... The players are back already.

I understand there is no need to panic but i think you are missing the bigger picture in which most people are relating to from my OP.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

This is what a football forum is though if we had no opinions or were like the sheep on other forums there would be no point coming on. We all think we know best that's what being a football supporter is.

The management are happy with their budget and signings and have hardly put a foot wrong concerning transfers so why so fans feel like they somehow know better than the guys who have probably spent the past 3 months scouting these players?

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The management are happy with their budget and signings and have hardly put a foot wrong concerning transfers so why so fans feel like they somehow know better than the guys who have probably spent the past 3 months scouting these players?

But that's what here about if we all just nodded and agreed their would be no point coming on.

I remember after watching Forrester at a few games he would do really well once fit, everyone thought he was piss poor, its all opinions.

I think a lot of the loan signings and the signing of Wilson and Kiernan have been  poor but that's my opinion, if no one agrees i still have that opinion till i feel they play better.

How much money would have to be spent to garner approval? 1m, 2m, 3m or 4m ? Thing is are we talking a 2m English championship or Premiership player because thats not a lot imo. 2m spent in say Sweden and Denmark would get you a better quality player, I think. Or are we just looking for a marquee signing to show the tims up?

I really don't want us to go getting into a pissing contest with the beggars just for the sake of it, imo its them that are on the back foot having giving them a doing in terms of team structure and movement in the cup. M W has brought in good quality players at good wages to push us on, I am not at the panicing stage yet.

53 minutes ago, Ace said:

Transfer Window in England doesn't open until 1st July.

However, you again have to trust that MW knows what he's doing, I'm sure if he was unhappy with the backing (or lack thereof) then he's clever enough to make it known.

This. MW has said the board have gave him all the financial backing he asked for. If they continue to do so and he fails it is down to him. 

You never know, maybe we have our eye on a player or two who is playing in the Euros.

2 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

This. MW has said the board have gave him all the financial backing he asked for. If they continue to do so and he fails it is down to him. 

You never know, maybe we have our eye on a player or two who is playing in the Euros.

Hopefully, i like Warburton bar the defensive side of our game and would love to see him for years to come at our club. The footballs early doors from us has been great to watch breathtaking even at times.

The trouble is when you start looking at players costing 2/3/4 million in all probability there will be others looking at the same players and whether we like it or not or agree or not we can barely compete with championship teams in terms of money/ tv deals etc that is the financial reality of the Scottish game and where we are.

Common sense imo, when you think of some of the mental money we spunked under Advocaat and Smith, do your homework and the outlay can be minimal, 30m spent on Flo/Ball/Kanchelskis/Arteta makes me shiver thinking about it.

We need more players if we are to compete for the league but I trust MW  to seek out and add these players before the season gets under way.I also have faith in the board to back the manager. 

One thing is for certain imo - cash must be spent if we are to offer a realistic challenge for the title.:541:

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

Hopefully, i like Warburton bar the defensive side of our game and would love to see him for years to come at our club. The footballs early doors from us has been great to watch breathtaking even at times.

Barton will start pre-season late due to his media committments. Some flexibility is required as regards pre-season if you want a high calibre of player. 

I'd love it if we signed one or two international players. Do we need players of that level? Debatable. Wouldn't do any harm though as long as we have the funds. 

2 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Common sense imo, when you think of some of the mental money we spunked under Advocaat and Smith, do your homework and the outlay can be minimal, 30m spent on Flo/Ball/Kanchelskis/Arteta makes me shiver thinking about it.

Nearly 20 million spent on Flo, Lafferty and Jelavic and 400k on Boyd and I'm pretty sure Boyd scored more goals than the other 3 combined so tread carefully when it comes to fees and especially strikers pound per goal ratio.

I know the Scottish Premiership is hardly La Liga, but it's not a league of disabled children. The majority of teams are at least decent and were being foolish if we think that the tims will be our only challenge next season. Also, signing free agents and cheap lower league players isn't a sustainable transfer strategy and we need to spend money in the next few seasons to be successful, otherwise we'll just become a very well supported Motherwell.

7 minutes ago, John Greig's Sideburns said:

I know the Scottish Premiership is hardly La Liga, but it's not a league of disabled children. The majority of teams are at least decent and were being foolish if we think that the tims will be our only challenge next season. Also, signing free agents and cheap lower league players isn't a sustainable transfer strategy and we need to spend money in the next few seasons to be successful, otherwise we'll just become a very well supported Motherwell.

For a start are you telling me rossiter, windass and crooks will have £0 sell on value? Signing those type of players is completely sustainable and shows great foresight and planning. Hill, Barton, Kranjcar will have no sell on value but they will pass on experience to the younger players.

i think you are also forgetting that MW values youth players coming through the ranks and with currant leaving there will be significant focus on this area. Assuming we get some players coming through then that too is sustainable.

I think both sides will argue the point until the end of the window (daft saying that when it's not even open yet) and then again when next season is over and we see how we fared.

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Arteta was quality player nda good signing, got money from selling him as well. £4 million on Kanchelskis wasn't too bad. Flo had a very good scoring record and we got a chuck of that money back. Ball was a horrendous signing. Only Ball and Konterman in our top 10 transfer fees were complete disasters. De Boer, Ferguson, Gio, Numan and Gazza were quality for decent money.

@sammy cox - Boyd was a great signing for what he was, but he never delivered against the scum or in Europe. His miss against Villarreal cost us millions.

The goals that Boyd scored on Tuesday night's at Motherwell and Wednesday night's at Tynecastle are what wins leagues and ultimately brings in more revenue whether it's league winning money or getting you into Europe. What cost his " non scoring " cost is open to debate and opinion but getting half the money back less wages that we paid for the likes of Flo is not the way to do business in any shape or form and I'm pretty sure most would agree on that.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Arteta was quality player and good signing, got money from selling him as well. £4 million on Kanchelskis wasn't too bad. Flo had a very good scoring record and we got a chuck of that money back. Ball was a horrendous signing. Only Ball and Konterman in our top 10 transfer fees were complete disasters. De Boer, Ferguson, Gio, Numan and Gazza were quality for decent money.

@sammy cox - Boyd was a great signing for what he was, but he never delivered against the scum or in Europe. His miss against Villarreal cost us millions.

Would Flo have finished it just because we paid £12m for him? Transfer fees don't automatically relate to quality, look at rod Wallace signed on a free transfer for example.

19 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Arteta was quality player and good signing, got money from selling him as well. £4 million on Kanchelskis wasn't too bad. Flo had a very good scoring record and we got a chuck of that money back. Ball was a horrendous signing. Only Ball and Konterman in our top 10 transfer fees were complete disasters. De Boer, Ferguson, Gio, Numan and Gazza were quality for decent money.

Arteta still playing at a high level now shows you what a quality player he was.

As long as the management are happy then we should all stand by that and trust the business that is being done.

I'll only start to worry when MW indicates we lost out on someone due to money not being released by the board

I think we are in great shape and if marriappa comes in I think c.b is fine and people should underestimate clint hill he is a old school no nonsense defender(exactly what we missed last season) 

I think warbs will spend bulk of his money on a striker coming in and then get a few young exciting Spurs/Arsenal players near end of window!

our main problem last season was defending and with m.w going for 2 c.b and Barton/crooks in def mid I see us being a lot more solid!going for 55 

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Transfer Window in England doesn't open until 1st July.

However, you again have to trust that MW knows what he's doing, I'm sure if he was unhappy with the backing (or lack thereof) then he's clever enough to make it known.

Sorry mate, i disagree completely with the last bit. I don't think he would make it publicly known, he's too professional. He'd say something like the board and my view of the future of Rangers differed so I decided to part ways.

Just my opinion of course.