Barry interview

JR

Good to see Training is going well and the spirit in the camp is a confident one:

CONJURE MONSIEUR

COUNTDOWN TO THE BIG KICK-OFF ... Barry: New French ace Darche introduced himself to me by performing set of magic tricks

By Gary Ralston

BARRY FERGUSON has revealed how Jean Claude Darcheville has already wowed his team-mates with sleight-of-hand magic tricks.

Now the Rangers skipper has warned Celtic they have a championship ace up their sleeve because their dressing room is full of jokers again.

Striker Darcheville was signed from Bordeaux on a Bosman with a reputation more closely aligned to the exploits of Ally McCoist than Ali Bongo.

But his personality has quickly shown itself to be as powerful as his strength in leading the forward line.

The French star has already won over Ferguson but so have the club's other summer signings as part of a Rangers squad who are happy to sock it to each other on the training ground, then rock each other with laughter off it.

Suddenly, Murray Park is home to a cacophony of sound and Ferguson, 29, reckons his Rangers team will soon be as enjoyable to watch as Darcheville's eye-catching antics in the dressing room.

Advertisement

He said: "Dado Prso was a one-off and Darche doesn't sing as loudly but he's a great character who is going to be a big player for this club, I'm sure of that.

"He's a happy guy who likes coming into his work and he also has a couple of wee card tricks he has already shown to the boys.

"The day I walked into the dressing room to meet him for the first time he called me over and said, 'Fergie, look at this'.

"He started pulling cards from up his sleeve and making magic balls disappear in his hands, as well as other tricks, and it was such fun to watch.

"I liked that aspect of his personality and I'm looking forward to seeing him on a team night out.

"We have a good squad and a good atmosphere about the place and I'm sure the gaffer still has two or three players to bring in this summer.

"We now have enough guys who are up for a laugh and a joke, which you need in any dressing room, while we know when it's time to get the serious heads on for training and matches.

"This was the quietest place you had ever seen last season but it has changed. It's a noisy environment again. There was a stage I didn't look forward to going into Murray Park in the morning but now I'm desperate not to leave at the end of the day and all the guys feel the same."

Rangers were competitive last season only in the closing months of the campaign, following the arrival of Walter Smith, by which stage Celtic were so far over the horizon they were sending postcards from the suburbs of Two-in-a-Row.

The bold appointment of Paul Le Guen last summer failed spectacularly amid claims of dressing room dissent and unrest, with Ferguson pitched into the centre of it all amid claims he was ringleader of a player revolt.

He is reluctant to dwell on the past but admits there is greater hunger and desire in the current squad, particularly on the training ground where tackling, banned under Le Guen, is now back on the menu.

Some of the challenges that have gone in over recent weeks have been tasty but Ferguson wouldn't have it any other way. He said: "People have their own ideas about how they want to go about things but I'm a believer in training the way you play.

"Already there have been a couple of scraps and a couple of slaps in training.

"The guys have been getting wired into each other and I don't think that's a bad thing because it shows the guys in the squad are winners and want to give everything to win.

"If guys are losing in training they're going off their heads and that's a good thing, particularly with Scots who have such a winning mentality.

"It's certainly the way I've been brought up and you even see it among mates playing together at the local five-a-side centre.

"Even when you're facing your best pal you'll think nothing of knocking him six feet in the air to win a match.

"There's a good mixture in the squad now, including guys with big characters who want to bring trophies to the club. I think you'll see a big difference in us in the season ahead but we need to do our talking on the pitch."

Skipper Ferguson was at Ibrox yesterday to model the new Rangers away kit, manufactured by Umbro in a bizarre aubergine colour more associated with a senior citizen's hair rinse than an SPL football match.

It's more Molly Sugden than Tiger Shaw but Ferguson, looking lean and fit, somehow managed to look the part and he reckons his team-mates have never looked better after their first pre-season under new fitness coach Adam Owen.

In particular, striker Kris Boyd is leaner than ever before as he gets set to sign a new deal that will secure his future at Rangers until 2011. Ferguson added: "Training is totally different from what we've been used to in the past but a lot of the guys have come back looking really fit after being given programmes by Adam.

"You should see the difference in Kris - I nearly collapsed when I saw him. He has lost three kilos and done really well.

"We're now heading off to play three games in Germany and we've got six in total before we play our Champions League qualifier at the end of the month.

"There will be no excuses - we'll be match fit and raring to go by then because we know how vital it is to make the group stages and net the £10million that's so important to the club.

"Hopefully we'll make the Champions League and we need a big squad to cover for it because suspensions and injuries are inevitable when you're playing a programme of games every Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday.

"Transfers don't always happen overnight but don't forget we've brought in seven players already and the gaffer is working on more.

"Competition for places is essential and I'm pleased at how well our new guys have settled.

"We have a great bunch of guys and we also have a lot of younger players who have signed long-term deals and are keen to win silverware for the first time.

"We have a good mixture of youth and experience - and players who are all hungry to win trophies for this club."

click here to print articlePrint article click here to email article to a friendEmail to a friend

Great article .... it reads like we have the makings of a group of players who will play for each other.

Team spirit is important for a team to acheive anything.

Less talk more action...

It's good to hear the squad is knitting together well in pre-season but I've heard all this before. I'd suggest morale amongst the fans is still pretty low and while I appreciate our captain trying to lift our spirits actions speak louder than words.

For the last 2 seasons there has been a complete dearth of commitment, professionalism and hard-work from many people at the club. Ferguson himself did reasonably well last season but the rumours of the effect he has in the dressing room are not positive and he should be doing more to lead the squad on and off the pitch.

Hard work every day and in every match; professional attitudes on and off the park; and the kind of commitment and pride Bill Struth and Richard Gough gave us in years past is what's needed to lift morale and results across the board.

They are all paid very well and I want to see much, much more from every player this season. The loyalty of our support is beyond reproach and I'd like to see that paid back in the currency we like best - success!

Less talk more action...

It's good to hear the squad is knitting together well in pre-season but I've heard all this before. I'd suggest morale amongst the fans is still pretty low and while I appreciate our captain trying to lift our spirits actions speak louder than words.

For the last 2 seasons there has been a complete dearth of commitment, professionalism and hard-work from many people at the club. Ferguson himself did reasonably well last season but the rumours of the effect he has in the dressing room are not positive and he should be doing more to lead the squad on and off the pitch.

Hard work every day and in every match; professional attitudes on and off the park; and the kind of commitment and pride Bill Struth and Richard Gough gave us in years past is what's needed to lift morale and results across the board.

They are all paid very well and I want to see much, much more from every player this season. The loyalty of our support is beyond reproach and I'd like to see that paid back in the currency we like best - success!

I agree with you Frankie but I spoke with both Barry and Kris Boyd at the NARSA convention before the start of last season and both were down in the dumps about the dressing room and the lack of any atmosphere between the players. Surely it is a big improvement if they are now all getting along.

Less talk more action...

I agree with what you're saying Frankie, but (fingers crossed) I believe we are going to see a big difference this season, if we can win our first couple of matches then I think confidence will soar even more and could give us a much better season than previous.

I agree with you Frankie but I spoke with both Barry and Kris Boyd at the NARSA convention before the start of last season and both were down in the dumps about the dressing room and the lack of any atmosphere between the players. Surely it is a big improvement if they are now all getting along.

No doubt about it mate and I don't mean to be negative but from what I'm led to believe often the cause of any dressing room problems is actually Ferguson himself.

However, I hope the whole team approaches the new season in a better manner. The amount of false dawns in recent years is frustrating and that's why I'd much prefer to see evidence of what the players talk about as opposed to the same rhetoric that bears no resembelence to the product on the park.

The players have a lot to prove this season and let's hope what Ferguson says will be transferred onto the park where it matters.

No doubt about it mate and I don't mean to be negative but from what I'm led to believe often the cause of any dressing room problems is actually Ferguson himself.

If this is true and it's looking quite likely that it is due to the number of stories we here, I personally believe that under Walter he'll be a changed man. Not lacking the passion but he'll be club captain and no more under Walt and Ally. Both of whom he has huge recpect for, where perhaps under McLeish and PLG he was lacking sligthly and this is where the trouble may have started.

If this is true and it's looking quite likely that it is I personally believe that under Walter he'll be a changed man. Not lacking the passion but he'll be club captain and no more under Walt and Ally both of whom he has huge recpect for where perhaps under McLeish and PLG he was lacking sligthly.

He wouldnt get away with that under Walter - he'd get his baws rattled methinks

If this is true and it's looking quite likely that it is due to the number of stories we here, I personally believe that under Walter he'll be a changed man. Not lacking the passion but he'll be club captain and no more under Walt and Ally. Both of whom he has huge recpect for, where perhaps under McLeish and PLG he was lacking sligthly and this is where the trouble may have started.

I think what you have to remember as well is that not one single player or ex-player has came out and said anything about Ferguson causing trouble in the dressing room. You would think that Svensson or Clement would have commented on this since their departure but they haven't, so it suggests to me that an awful lot of these stories come from the imagination of certain sports journalists with a paper to sell.

I think what you have to remember as well is that not one single player or ex-player has came out and said anything about Ferguson causing trouble in the dressing room. You would think that Svensson or Clement would have commented on this since their departure but they haven't, so it suggests to me that an awful lot of these stories come from the imagination of certain sports journalists with a paper to sell.

I can assure you these stories are true. Sure, you might not find some players publicly running to the media (other than Ferguson if we're being accurate) but anyone who knows Barry Ferguson will tell you he's not the most likeable of people.

I don't want this thread to deterioate into another Ferguson hate-fest but suffice to say that although he's obviously a very talented and important player, his leadership qualities and personality are not always conductive to general squad morale.

The fact that so many managers have made him captain though and the fact we still see Ferguson doing so well in the park means I can live with any alleged problems as long as we have a manager who can help ensure the positive parts of his captaincy are maxmised and the negative parts minimised.

I'm comfortable Walter Smith can do that so I hope the rest of the squad and the fans can support each other as we go into a hugely important season. We can ill afford the dressing room problems of last year and I expect every player (and particularly Ferguson) to help ensure that doesn't happen again.

anyone who knows Barry Ferguson will tell you he's not the most likeable of people.

Well you had better let most of the Rangers squad in on this little gem.

Any interview I've seen or read involving his team-mates suggest this is not the case. In fact they all have nothing but praise for him, especially the youngsters who declare that for some it's a dream come true to be training with him.

:pipegreen:

Any interview I've seen or read involving his team-mates suggest this is not the case. In fact they all have nothing but praise for him, especially the youngsters who declare that for some it's a dream come true to be training with him.

Well, they are hardly going to say otherwise are they... :D

I've met Ferguson several times myself and I know other people at the club (players and staff) who have never been very impressed with his attitude. There are others who think he is a great guy and I'm sure he is an inspiration to any young (or new) player at the club. I'd be more surprised if he wasn't.

Like I say, I'm not trying to detract from the lots of positives he brings just trying to show that his leadership skills could be better in my opinion.

As always, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Interviewer: Stevie Lennon, how do you like training with the first squad?

Lennon: It's awright an' at know. Except for Fergie. He keeps moanin' and shouting fur the ba' aw the time. An' he kicked me up the arse yesterday cause ah ate the last packet o Monster Munch. But apart fae that Fergie lets us polish his boots and wash his motor.

:lol:

I am still amazed at how the players ( under PLG) weren't allowed to train as they intended to play ( ie no tackling ) ....no wonder they couldn't switch from the softly softly training to the rough and tumble of a standard SPL game. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that fact

Less talk more action...

Just hope he's not settin himself up for a fall comin away with crap like this, should take a leaf out of King Richards book and lead by example just look at the stature of the man on Sunday and they way he's still looked upon by his contemporaries as a leader of men and Captain of Rangers ! :sherlock:

Interviewer: Stevie Lennon, how do you like training with the first squad?

Lennon: It's awright an' at know. Except for Fergie. He keeps moanin' and shouting fur the ba' aw the time. An' he kicked me up the arse yesterday cause ah ate the last packet o Monster Munch. But apart fae that Fergie lets us polish his boots and wash his motor.

:lol:

:lol: Not bad, irrespective of what Fergie may or may not be like, I really wouldn't expect him to get away with any shenannigans with WS and Ally in charge.

He will know who is boss, and I think he has too much respect for WS and Ally to cause any disruptions.

Aye but some of ye come on here and start slinging mud at Boydie with drinkin n druggin but now yeez want to slag of rags for startin sumthin

Yeez are hypocrites of the highest order :pipegreen:

Aye but some of ye come on here and start slinging mud at Boydie with drinkin n druggin but now yeez want to slag of rags for startin sumthin

Yeez are hypocrites of the highest order :pipegreen:

To be fair Fish, I have never once slagged off Boyd.

In my opinion he is the best striker in Scotland and could be even more lethal if he had the supply needed for his style of play.

Evening times:

Hone Ranger saddles up

RARING to go Barry Ferguson does a warm-up act at Ibrox

FITNESS expert Adam Owen, seen here with Ally McCoist, has impressed Fergie with the drills that aim to get them in top shape

by Darrell King

BARRY FERGUSON knows this is without doubt the biggest season he will ever face as Rangers captain.

And the midfielder is happy to report he's in his best shape for years in order to meet that very challenge.

Fired-up Ferguson only had 20 days' break after his Scotland commitments carried him into action until June 6.

He summered in Dubai with his family, then scrapped a planned break in Italy to ensure he's as sharply honed as possible ahead of the quest to wrest the SPL title away from Parkhead.

advertisement

Free from niggles for the first time in many a pre-season, Ferguson has flown through the first fortnight of intense training at Murray Park and looks to be in tremendous shape.

He smiled: "I feel great. In fact, I feel better than I have done for a long while in terms of my fitness and general condition.

"I haven't missed one session of pre-season so far, there are no injury niggles at all, and I am very excited as we get close to the new campaign.

"That's important for me, it really is. I'm going into my tenth season in top-flight football and I need to be sharp and feel good. And I do - I have enjoyed the training even though it's been very tough and intense under our new fitness coach Adam Owen.

"This time last year I was coming back from ankle reconstruction. I missed the whole of pre-season and never really got that back in the tank.

"I was anxious to get playing under the new manager and just went back into matches, really. But this time around it's been very different and I'm feeling in great shape. Physically I am very strong and mentally as determined as ever to get this team winning things again."

Sports scientist Owen was identified by Kenny McDowall as a potential key member of the Rangers' backroom team after they worked together at Celtic.

He was poached from Sheffield Wednesday and his methods have already had a big impact on several individual players, and the squad overall.

Indeed, Ferguson believes the Rangers pool will be as fit as they have ever been come kick-off.

"Adam has come in with a lot of new methods, although I am going to keep them secret," laughed the 28-year-old Gers captain.

"He has a different way of doing things, and there is a bit more ball work rather than just the slog. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of hard running as well, but it's the most enjoyable pre-season I've done.

"Some of the guys have also worked with him on an individual basis and they have reaped the benefits of that.

"I can say we will be one helluva fit squad this season, there is no doubt about that."

But it is still a squad that Ferguson believes is a bit light in terms of numbers. He has watched with interest as his manager secured eight new faces for next season.

Jean-Claude Darcheville, Alan Gow, Kirk Broadfoot, Graeme Smith, Roy Carroll, DaMarcus Beasley and Carlos Cuellar have all been added, while Andy Webster has extended his loan agreement until January.

Ferguson is happy with what has happened so far, but he feels another three or four bodies will have the Rangers pool just right for the rigours of a season.

"We don't have the biggest of squads, really," he added. "The manager has brought a few new lads in, and they have all settled well and look to be good players.

"I think we could still do with three or four more and I am sure the manager is looking to do that. He wants big competition for every place and we are getting towards that now.

"He'll know who else he wants, and whether he can land them or not remains to be seen. But I think that we could still do with a bit of strengthening."

In terms of numbers, Rangers are still behind Celtic. The evidence of the strength-in-depth the champions have was highlighted on their recent tour of Switzerland when boss Gordon Strachan could field two different teams in each half of friendly games - and still have six or seven players not even involved.

Strachan has invested more than £8m in the squad that captured the double for the Parkhead men last season, and clearly Celtic will begin the campaign as favourites again.

But Ferguson said: "I tend not to look that much at what's happening across the road. I like to focus on Rangers and what we are doing. Of course I am confident we can do well and win the title. But I was confident last year and the year before that and it didn't happen.

"We know what we have to do. We've got to get off to a good start and make sure we throw down the right markers that we are going to be a force.

"It's a very happy dressing room and the spirit is good. We are working very hard towards the target of being ready for the first Champions League qualifier, which is only some three weeks away now.

"This week we go to Germany and with three games in six days the lads are looking forward to getting into action."

Publication date 10/07/07

Ferguson is a bit of an enigma - a good player but a moaning faced git at the same time.

I very much agree with Frankie in that talk is cheap and lets wait and see the results on the field before drawing any conclusions.

Certainly see BF moaning like hell on the pitch, although to my mind he is always looking to play the ball but his previous teammates have been hard of thinking and don't seem to be on the same wavelength or see the same space that BF does.

As for "action speak louder than words" ... obviously they do but we won't see that action until we start playing games, so BF can only come out with a statement of intent, something to let the fans know that they are more focused (hopefully !!!) on the task ahead.

Lets wait and see what's to come in the forthcoming games before we criticise our captain for making a statement.