Thomson

nvager

Was the 2m spent on Thomson money wasted? Was he needed?

He seems SLOW to me for a younger player and does not dominate games at all. IMO money should have been spent ELSEWHERE, but I am prepared to give him a chance.

He started to have a good run of form towards the last few games, the season ended too early for him.

Claude Makelele shows that you don't need need to be fast to excel in that position.

I think Thomson is a better player than Scott Brown and is worth the £2million.

Thomson is an all-round better player than Hemdani aswell. His passing is better, whether it is a long ball, or a short pass, he gets stuck in more, can go forward and has that little bit more urgency. Hemdani took time to settle and Thomson has done the same. In the last few weeks of the season Thomson started to show what a good player he is.

I think a Ferguson and Thomson partnership will be a good one next season. Thomson is left footed which also brings something else.

I rate Thomson. I think he's better than hemdani because he can do what he can do and add more offensively by using his range of passing and his drive to the team. So yes, I think he was needed.

Hemdani has the same job title as Thomson and Hemdani does it effortlessly.

I think a lot of us gave him extra leeway because we thought that his arrival would signal the signing of Brown also.

He has a big season ahead of him now to prove his worth to the team. I think he has the ability.

I rate Thomson. I think he's better than hemdani because he can do what he can do and add more offensively by using his range of passing and his drive to the team. So yes, I think he was needed.

Thomson can do more though. hemdani can't. Hemdani is a good player but I'd rather than Thomson in the team.

But Thomson is that bit quicker, his passing is a lot better(whether it is a 40 yard diagonal, defence splitting ball or a 5 yard pass), he's more committed, stronger in the challenge and is better going forward.

Only thing is that he had a few knocks which set him back.

i've mentioned a few times about the type of player he is and the role he plays in a team playing in scotland, anywhere else in the world a player who rarely gives the ball away and sits and does the dirty work while the more creative players grab the headlines with lungbursting solo runs and goals is given due credit, not here though, we say they're lazy and ineffective, i'm sure thomson will prove his worth in the big games against the scummites and in europe where his quality is there for all to see, he's one of the unsung heroes in any team, a bit of a stuart mccall type if you will (tu)

Hemdani certainly does a good job, i just reckon he's not mobile/forward thinking enough.

Thomson can do more though. hemdani can't. Hemdani is a good player but I'd rather than Thomson in the team.

For me Thomson and Ferguson are too similar to play them together in the same midfield. The last few seasons we have been trying to get Fergie to start pushing forward and support the front two which IMO does not suit Fergies game. He prefers to drop deep and controll the game from deeper positions, exactly the positions Hemdani and Thomson would be. IMO we need an attacking midfielder to play alongside Fergie (Brown would have been perfect if we got him) instead of trying to change Fergie's game. Thomson and Ferguson would only work well together in midfield if we were playing 5 across the middle with an attacking centre mid in front of them.

For me Thomson and Ferguson are too similar to play them together in the same midfield. The last few seasons we have been trying to get Fergie to start pushing forward and support the front two which IMO does not suit Fergies game. He prefers to drop deep and controll the game from deeper positions, exactly the positions Hemdani and Thomson would be. IMO we need an attacking midfielder to play alongside Fergie (Brown would have been perfect if we got him) instead of trying to change Fergie's game. Thomson and Ferguson would only work well together in midfield if we were playing 5 across the middle with an attacking centre mid in front of them.

Thomson is more defensive than Ferguson. Even though Ferguson is not a attacking midfielder, he probably plays more advanced than Thomson as Thomson prefers playing in the Hemdani role but offering more to the attacking side of our game. I think Thomson and ferguson can work well together because they aren't exact replica's of each other IMO and both will have different roles to play. IMO, Ferguson only came deep to collect the ball because he needed to start the tempo and make Rangers play at the pace that they should be playing and Hemdani didn't do it, he just passed the ball along the back 4.

I will reserve judgment on him until I see him have a good run in the team.

The games he played at the end of last season weren't too promising, but I will put that down to nerves and see how he copes with this season.

Time will tell and I hope he does a good job.

Definately one for the future

It was always going to be difficult for KT to walk right into a Rangers team. I think we saw a pretty reasonable rise in his performance near the end of the season. Looking forward to the upcoming season. So.. good signing. Was Brown worth over double what Kevin cost us? No. Hibs went down the table when KT left...

We're the only fans in the world that think 'Okay, we've signed a good player, so we need to get rid of another good player to get him in'.

Can we not be glad we've got great competition in midfield? You can say that we haven't signed a £2mil player to sit on the bench, but we're not going to be paying Hemdani £20k+ a week to warm up the wood either.

If you look at how highly both Brown and Thomson were rated a year ago you have to say that financially we got the better deal. We paid £16,000 a week and 2 million for Thomson, Celtic paid 4.4. million and £25,000 a week for Brown.

Also remember that Thomson held the Hibs midfield together, he was the key player in a team who are claimed to play some of the most exciting football in Briatin. Not Brown, not Whittaker not Beuzlin, Thomson was. That claim can be backed up by the fact that at 21 he was made captain.

He isn't a heart on sleeve type player because he doesn't need to be. He's better than that. Players who play like steam trains usually do so to make up for their other weaknesses. Thomson doesn't have those weaknesses. He can pass, tackle, dictate play as a playmaker or be more disciplined and play the holding role. Just because he has not had the freedom to do that yet, mainly due to our tactics and system, it does not make him a bad a player over night.

He is everything you look for in a modern day foorballer and IMO he will be one of our biggest and most important players for years to come and dare I say it our captain when Fergie leaves.

I think the best phrase to describe Thommo is an old head on young shoulders.

If you look at how highly both Brown and Thomson were rated a year ago you have to say that financially we got the better deal. We paid £16,000 a week and 2 million for Thomson, Celtic paid 4.4. million and £25,000 a week for Brown.

Also remember that Thomson held the Hibs midfield together, he was the key player in a team who are claimed to play some of the most exciting football in Briatin. Not Brown, not Whittaker not Beuzlin, Thomson was. That claim can be backed up by the fact that at 21 he was made captain.

He isn't a heart on sleeve type player because he doesn't need to be. He's better than that. Players who play like steam trains usually do so to make up for their other weaknesses. Thomson doesn't have those weaknesses. He can pass, tackle, dictate play as a playmaker or be more disciplined and play the holding role. Just because he has not had the freedom to do that yet, mainly due to our tactics and system, it does not make him a bad a player over night.

He is everything you look for in a modern day foorballer and IMO he will be one of our biggest and most important players for years to come and dare I say it our captain when Fergie leaves.

Excellent post DBBTB (tu)

Well said that man (tu)

Exellent summary.

With him and Ferguson we have the best midfield partnership in the country, I have no doubt about it.

It could also be argued that the Hibs side whom played such great football whilst Thomson was there, felt apart when the man in question left.

Is he needed ? F*ckin right he is.

Your view could not be closer to mine. Brown was the player we needed. Now that we have got Thomson, I would sell Hemdami (actually I'd sell Ferguson but that aint going to happen).