Will there be another golden age of Scottish football?

No, game is ruled by money and there is none in Scottish football.

Only one team outside the OF has spent 7 figures on a player, and it was exactly 1m. Aberdeen buying Paul Bernard in 1995. Over 20 years ago and that's still the record. Even us, we wouldn't dream of spending 2-3m on a single player right now as we would have 20 years ago. Look at what's happened down south in that time. We just cannot compete and I really don't see how, even with thorough reform, we can ever come close to catching up.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Gazza1212 said:

What population has Iceland? A country with even less resources available than ours yet still able to not only qualify for Euro 2016 but compete at a high level.

The real issue is technical ability is at an all time low.This  coupled with our failure to embrace the importance of physical professionalism. 

In the modern game the two go hand in hand. Until such time as football in this country can focus on these fundamentals then we will continue to regress I'm afraid.

Take a look at any game played in the spl this weekend and witness players who are incapable of performing even the most basic skills. We treat the ball like a hot tottie and fitness levels are way below that on the continent. Admit it or not, that's down to diet and lifestyle choices because these countries don't breed supermen.

For what it's worth I firmly believe that what Warburton is doing at our club is the correct way to improve the standard. For the game to improve as a whole every club needs to adopt the same philosophy from grass roots to first team.

I often admire Croatia and their endless conveyor belt of talent. They have a similar population to us and they continuously produce world class players.

6 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Was Liewell not behind Regan's appointment? Sure there were some links between them exposed a while back.

Both colleagues at Coors. The SFA panel who decided on what recruitment company to use was led by a Celtic employee, can't remember his name but a big skinny cunt with a moustache. The recruitment company they chose to fill the position turned out to be the same recruitment company on a retainer with Celtic. The owner of this company was best friends with Celtic chairman dr Reid and was a Celtic season ticket holder. Dr Reids sons pal led the interviews and chose Lawells ex colleague at Coors and friend Regan..

its well known that Regan wasn't originally interested but was called at home and told to apply by a 'friend/colleague'

With Sky money getting silly, the only golden age for the national team would be that the team is made up by players playing at a high level in England (like Wales or Icelandic players from Euros). I include the English Championship in that because it's miles ahead of the Premiership up here. 

As far as clubs go (well ours really cos I couldn't give two fucks about the rest), we could qualify for Europe and try and build a team that could get to Group stages of either Champs League or more likely the Europa League but we will not compete with the Big 5 countries' clubs. Never say never but I doubt I'll see another Manchester in my lifetime unless the Sky bubble bursts.  I hope it does because I'd love to see the meltdown of so-called big clubs like Chelsea, Man City and so on without the money that's currently behind them. 

17 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Both colleagues at Coors. The SFA panel who decided on what recruitment company to use was led by a Celtic employee, can't remember his name but a big skinny cunt with a moustache. The recruitment company they chose to fill the position turned out to be the same recruitment company on a retainer with Celtic. The owner of this company was best friends with Celtic chairman dr Reid and was a Celtic season ticket holder. Dr Reids sons pal led the interviews and chose Lawells ex colleague at Coors and friend Regan..

its well known that Regan wasn't originally interested but was called at home and told to apply by a 'friend/colleague'

And that's the club who go on about "Masonic conspiracies".

11 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

With Sky money getting silly, the only golden age for the national team would be that the team is made up by players playing at a high level in England (like Wales or Icelandic players from Euros). I include the English Championship in that because it's miles ahead of the Premiership up here. 

As far as clubs go (well ours really cos I couldn't give two fucks about the rest), we could qualify for Europe and try and build a team that could get to Group stages of either Champs League or more likely the Europa League but we will not compete with the Big 5 countries' clubs. Never say never but I doubt I'll see another Manchester in my lifetime unless the Sky bubble bursts.  I hope it does because I'd love to see the meltdown of so-called big clubs like Chelsea, Man City and so on without the money that's currently behind them. 

Why does everyone say it's sky's money? I believe sky only pay about 30% of total EPL TV revenue

Scottish football is basically the old scrubber every pub has.  She looked good in her glory days of 30 year ago but the ravages of time and shoddy morals of jumping into bed with every setanta that pays her a compliment has led to her to be bankrupt both morally and physically. She still gets dolled up for a night out every saturday and wednesday in the hope some pished cunt will take a fancy and pump money her way but in reality she ceased being relevant  a long time ago

26 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Why does everyone say it's sky's money? I believe sky only pay about 30% of total EPL TV revenue

Cos Sky pump the initial money in then the rest jump on the bandwagon. Sponsors galore and so on. If Sky didn't put that initial 30% (or whatever) the EPL wouldn't have the product to market that they have so it snowballs quickly. 

Stop nitpicking, you know fine well the money going to that league puts it in a different stratosphere to us and most of Europe. 

No and for one simple reason> we do not produce the players any more.

Ignore all else, that is the key.

If we produced that level of skill we used to get, then our players could rise again, but just cannot see it.

Bizarrely, Andy Murray was offered terms by Rangers at 15 yo, but chose tennis, and headed to Barcelona to learn his game.

Imagine if he had signed for us.......he'd be about £60 million poorer.

And probably playing in a lower league.

Summer football would offer a much improved SKY deal because we would be the only show in town for a while. Plus it would reduce risk of early European exits as we would be mid season. 

It wouldnt usher in a golden age by any means but it would stop certain death and likely see a healthy growth. 

The fact it hasnt happened yet is still a great mystery to me.

46 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

Cos Sky pump the initial money in then the rest jump on the bandwagon. Sponsors galore and so on. If Sky didn't put that initial 30% (or whatever) the EPL wouldn't have the product to market that they have so it snowballs quickly. 

Stop nitpicking, you know fine well the money going to that league puts it in a different stratosphere to us and most of Europe. 

I'm not nitpicking, people say if it wasn't for Sky blah blah blah. It's nothing to do with following SKy, overseas revenue is now 50% and will probably grow to about 80% in the future. Nothing to do with Sky and if Sky disappear they I'll be queuing up to get their share of the pie. As I said SKy only pay about 30% of tv revenue... Not all revenue

34 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

Summer football would offer a much improved SKY deal because we would be the only show in town for a while. Plus it would reduce risk of early European exits as we would be mid season. 

It wouldnt usher in a golden age by any means but it would stop certain death and likely see a healthy growth. 

Summer football wouldn't make any difference to the sky to deal, it wouldn't deliver them any new subscribers 

1 hour ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Scottish football is basically the old scrubber every pub has.  She looked good in her glory days of 30 year ago but the ravages of time and shoddy morals of jumping into bed with every setanta that pays her a compliment has led to her to be bankrupt both morally and physically. She still gets dolled up for a night out every saturday and wednesday in the hope some pished cunt will take a fancy and pump money her way but in reality she ceased being relevant  a long time ago

Unconventional Gip thread for this 

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

The Sky market has never demanded summer football therefore a better deal would not be offered (If there was we'd be getting LOI and Scandanavian stuff all summer). Summer football would improve numbers through the gates and therefore not impact Rangers or them.