English Football

Clemdog

6 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

Deserves all the criticism he gets. Transfer policy in the summer was a total scattergun approach. Decent enough players but zero thought on how they would fit in to a team or structure e.g. Havertz and Ziyech with Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and (arguably) Mount already there. Werner was a decent signing but completely failed, which can happen with strikers going to that league.  Defence and midfield has been nowhere near good enough and money would have been better spent there than a pile of front men all vying for 2/3 spots. They haven’t half wasted a shed load of money in the last two or three seasons. 

Good post mate. I do think in a 50/60 game season with the right manager (Tuchel) they can rotate these talented players properly and give them a style and purpose.

Even though Werner hasn't been great I still have no doubt once he gets two or three games where he scores in a row we'll see the Werner that was at Leipzig.

48 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

Deserves all the criticism he gets. Transfer policy in the summer was a total scattergun approach. Decent enough players but zero thought on how they would fit in to a team or structure e.g. Havertz and Ziyech with Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and (arguably) Mount already there. Werner was a decent signing but completely failed, which can happen with strikers going to that league.  Defence and midfield has been nowhere near good enough and money would have been better spent there than a pile of front men all vying for 2/3 spots. They haven’t half wasted a shed load of money in the last two or three seasons. 

The transfer approach was scattergun like but I don’t think a lot of it was down to Lampard. He didn’t want Havertz and if that was the case I would imagine he wouldn’t have been the only player forced on him.

38 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I'd go get Rodgers 

Even though it’s going to be Tuchel, I actually agree with this and think Rodgers is the sensible appointment. His biggest strengths are working with players to make them better and he already knows the league and the club inside out. Like the guy or not, he’s earned another crack at a “top six” job IMO.

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

The transfer approach was scattergun like but I don’t think a lot of it was down to Lampard. He didn’t want Havertz and if that was the case I would imagine he wouldn’t have been the only player forced on him.

Even Mourinho couldn't stop Shevchenko and Ballack being bought or Cech being let go without his approval. The Manager hasn't been completely in charge of transfers at Chelsea since the day Roman walked in.

34 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Even Mourinho couldn't stop Shevchenko and Ballack being bought or Cech being let go without his approval. The Manager hasn't been completely in charge of transfers at Chelsea since the day Roman walked in.

Absolutely, that’s why the job is always going to have a degree of awkwardness to it and why it’s probably better suited to a more experienced coach/manager rather than a novice. It was definitely a case of right job at the wrong time for him, but you can’t blame him for taking it because it’s an opportunity you might only get once.

Tuchel couldnt get Mbappe or Neymar to do what he asked and the players at PSG got him shifted. Chelsea players will do the same thing probably. 

Lampard would've expected more time to sort it out I would suspect. 

But Abromovich does what he wants and will be hoping this gamble pays off. But what is success for Chelsea this season Top 4..? And maybe the FA Cup. 

5 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

Top 4..? And maybe the FA Cup. 

Yep, turned into Wenger’s Arsenal in that sense now because you need Van-Dijk, Allison level of signings to challenge and a strikeforce like Liverpool/City.

Not going to get close with ‘Kepa’ and its mental to think that him and Havertz cost a combined £150M roughly. 

Chelsea needed to get Koulibaly, Jan Oblak to majorly shore it up at the back for starters. We’ll just have to see if the next manager gets a tune out of Werner and others.

I didn't like the way he was handling Havertz and Werner but I believe he should have been given more time. Look at Solskjaer at Man U as an example of someone who was granted time.

Maybe he had lost the dressing room. We don't know the inside stuff.

His da was a great player but a shite manager. Maybe the same is happening.