Unsung Heroes

dogtanian

Looking back over the years we have had some special players at our club, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz, Amourrso etc to name a few and while they take all the plaudits as they should being legends who do you feel is the real unsung heroes?

Players that maybe didn't get all the credit or limelight but we are grateful they played for our club. Ive thought of a few that springs to mind but as the list grew its turned out more like a B team if you like. There may be some eyebrows raised in my selection but its based on who i have seen play in person, can remember and I wanted to stay away from some of the more obvious choices as well.

GK Alexander

LB Robertson 

CB Boumsong

CB McLaren

RB Cleland

LM Weiss

CM Hemdani

CM Buffell

RM Johanssen

CF Caniggia

CF Rod Wallace (1st season)

1 hour ago, dogtanian said:

Looking back over the years we have had some special players at our club, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz, Amourrso etc to name a few and while they take all the plaudits as they should being legends who do you feel is the real unsung heroes?

Players that maybe didn't get all the credit or limelight but we are grateful they played for our club. Ive thought of a few that springs to mind but as the list grew its turned out more like a B team if you like. There may be some eyebrows raised in my selection but its based on who i have seen play in person, can remember and I wanted to stay away from some of the more obvious choices as well.

GK Alexander

LB Robertson 

CB Boumsong

CB McLaren

RB Cleland

LM Weiss

CM Hemdani

CM Buffell

RM Johanssen

CF Caniggia

CF Rod Wallace (1st season)

Weiss buffel flattered to deceive a lot more often than not 

When asking for opinions, nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Papac for me is one of the hardest working professionals I've had the pleasure to watch. No moans or complaints, just got on and did his job without any hassle, frills or shouting and bawling. Got kicked up and down but came back again and again at the opposition.

.................................could have done with a bloody good haircut though :-) :-) :-)

26 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

When asking for opinions, nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Papac for me is one of the hardest working professionals I've had the pleasure to watch. No moans or complaints, just got on and did his job without any hassle, frills or shouting and bawling. Got kicked up and down but came back again and again at the opposition.

.................................could have done with a bloody good haircut though :-) :-) :-)

Your right everyone has their favourites and some who they don't rate at all. There was a few more I was debating and it was quite hard to pick some while not going for the easy options or the more obvious picks. Always interesting to find out other bears opinions or any players who may have been overlooked.

31 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

I disagree. His haircut was okay. :)

I'd have Ronald Waterreus and Shota Averladze in the team. Definitely not Weiss.

Munro, Moore, Cleland, Whittaker (wank of a guy now but didn't think he was as bad as people made out at the time), Tugay, McCulloch (only when not played as a centre back past few years he always hot dogs abuse but did a fair job again up until he went to centre back )

Guest Lloyd72
1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

Would anyone take Papac over Wallace? 

Papac was better defensively but not as good going forward imo. Was there not a time when we played Wallace LM and Papac LB and it worked pretty well?

1 minute ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Easily. It's not even a close contest IMO.

Papac was helped in the fact he always had two solid centre-halves to help him out. Wallace is stuck with Laurel & Hardy 

EDIT: And under Smith, our left midfielder would be brilliant at covering, like Whittaker sometimes played out there

Just now, Gaz52 said:

Papac was helped in the fact he always had two solid centre-halves to help him out. Wallace is stuck with Laurel & Hardy 

Fair point. Papac is still the superior player for me. Not a dig at Wallace btw, there's no shame in not being as good as Sasa :lol:

I don't think Daniel Cousin got the credit he sometimes deserved, aye he was a bit of a fanny with his temperament, like getting sent off in Fiorentina.

But some of the goals he scored were world class, the way he beat Mark Wilson and finished by Boruc was amazing. His goal vs Lyon was just incredible, the touch and finish was world class. Werder Bremen goal thanks to big Tim the Bear in goals :wink: