Unsung Heroes

dogtanian

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, DBBTB said:

There was a time McCoist played Papac in centre midfield <cr>:anguish:

Was there? I don't remember that but I'm inclined to believe you since he seemed to love playing players out of position:lol: 

7 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

I don't think Daniel Cousin got the credit he sometimes deserved, aye he was a bit of a fanny with his temperament, like getting sent off in Fiorentina.

But some of the goals he scored were world class, the way he beat Mark Wilson and finished by Boruc was amazing. His goal vs Lyon was just incredible, the touch and finish was world class. Werder Bremen goal thanks to big Tim the Bear in goals :wink: 

I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for setting up Beasley's goal in that game either.

Tremendous performance that night.

2 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

When asking for opinions, nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Papac for me is one of the hardest working professionals I've had the pleasure to watch. No moans or complaints, just got on and did his job without any hassle, frills or shouting and bawling. Got kicked up and down but came back again and again at the opposition.

.................................could have done with a bloody good haircut though :-) :-) :-)

He always reminded me of a skinny meatload with shorter hair.

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, DBBTB said:

Yeah it was pretty early in the 2011-12 season but I can't remember who it was against.

Shit like that used to baffle me about Mccoist, Papac at CM, Clark at RM, Faure LM, Peralta RM. He just shoehorned players in without any reasoning.

19 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

There was a time McCoist played Papac in centre midfield <cr>:anguish:

I think a lot of guys forget that Sasa was signed as a centre half by PLG , and he was every bit as poor in that position as Svensson . On Walter's return his priority was replacing the CB's . Fair play to Papac for keeping a place in the side but after watching Davie Robertson  & Numan then I don't agree with the hero worship status he gets at times . 

Maybe our current CB's can take heart from his example though and reinvent themselves as limited full backs who don't venture too far from their comfort zones . Who knows, in a few years , RM cult hero status could still be achieved .

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, The Godfather said:

Hutton, Prso, Papac and Mols....nah they were all very highly praised/appreciated for us

I was struggling to fill those positions tbh I think Papac was underrated at the time he played for us but yeah Hutton, Prso and Mols are the only ones I could think of off the top of my head for those positions. Who would you have put in place of them 4?

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

I was struggling to fill those positions tbh I think Papac was underrated at the time he played for us but yeah Hutton, Prso and Mols are the only ones I could think of off the top of my head for those positions. Who would you have put in place of them 4?

Striker wise probably Kenny Miller the second time round especially after Boyd left when we was banging them in. Before that probably Rod Wallace who wasn't a big name but always came up with important goals both at home and in Europe.

Full back wise I struggle because when Smith came back (Papac era) we were really hard to break down so they all got a good bit of recognition from the fans for that.

It's always going to be difficult to name a 11 of underrated players in a team where you are winning things every season. You tend not to underrate those kind of teams/players.

Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Striker wise probably Kenny Miller the second time round especially after Boyd left when we was banging them in. Before that probably Rod Wallace who wasn't a big name but always came up with important goals both at home and in Europe.

Full back wise I struggle because when Smith came back (Papac era) we were really hard to break down so they all got a good bit of recognition from the fans for that.

It's always going to be difficult to name a 11 of underrated players in a team where you are winning things every season. You tend not to underrate those kind of teams/players.

I considered Miller but there's been quite a few on here who call him a Rangers legend so I didn't think he qualified as unsung, Wallace left a few years before I can remember watching Rangers so I can't judge him tbh. Possibly Cousin because I didn't rate him when he was here but looking back he used to be better than I thought.

Fullbacks were the hardest position for me, the only LB I can remember watching at Rangers before Papac was Stevie Smith. 

I don't think we've had any underrated RB's in the last decade either, they've either been shit like Broadfoot was imo, Really shit like Foster was or they were Highly Rated like Hutton and Whittaker were.

Alexander 

Whittaker - played his part in a rock solid defensive side.

Boumsong - just as good as Cuellar, Weir, Boughie were.

Wilson (first spell) - truly exceptional young defender, the fact that 17 year old kid hasnt became scotland number 1 cb shows his careers gone wrong so far

Vignal - always though he was decent

Davis - everyone acknowledged he was, but I still think we undervalued a truly exceptional player 

Macleod - sticking him in as more of a 'what could have been,' what a player we'd have just now if he'd stayed fit and stayed with us into the Warburton era.

Thomson  - again, don't think everyone appreciated just how good this guy was - absolutely immense before gid injuries.

Lovenkrands - my old man always harps on about how shite he was outwith the big games. For me my memories of him are the 2005/6 season, so I've never really agreed.

Boyd- for the ammount of goals and trophys that man dragged us too, he got fucking dogs abuse week in week out. Crazy.

Cousin - an infinitely better player than Darcheville. Always left wondering what could have been in Manchester had we kept it tight into the last half hour and had Cousin and Novo available.